Best Road Bike for $2000
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Best Road Bike for $2000

Hey guys,

I've got roughly a $2,000 budget and would love some input on the best bang for my buck.

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    It all depends upon what you would like to do with your road bike. Are you more of a racer type? ...Would you prefer to take long credit card tours mostly on the paved country back roads? Would you rather have an occasional recreational ride on the paved park trails and perhaps along the boardwalk? Do you already have a frame material in mind?
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

Cranky Old Bastard
    The best "bang for the buck" is the bike that is perfect for you.

Start at your LBS; many have sale prices on last years' models.
    Getting a bike that fits you is more important than which particular model you buy. All the major companies make good bikes that are comparable in their price range. Do the research to find the differences between models and decide what factors are most important to you.

You can often get better deals shopping online if you know what to buy and how to fit the bike to your body and style of riding. If you're not an expert you'll likely be better off with the help of a good local dealer.

Sales come and go and the best deal at a specific price changes daily.

Decide exactly what kind of riding you'll do. Whether you want "race" or "distance" geometry. What type of frame material will be best for your application.
    Do you have any special requirements: are you 250+lbs or 7 feet tall?

There are a bazillion factors that affect which bike is the best for you and only you can evaluate everything to find that bike.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

Darling of The Lounge
    The best $2000 road bike is a $3500 road bike a couple of years old that the original buyer has lost interest in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Re: Best Road Bike for $2000

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    The best $2000 road bike is a $3500 road bike a couple of years old that the original buyer has lost interest in.
    My thoughts exactly...just picked up "another" 2011 Focus Izalco Pro on closeout for $1,549 today. First Izalco was bought last Sept. for $2,300...so basically (2) bikes for price of one, around that price range (one compact, one 53T/39T).

RoadBikeReview Member

Best Road Bike for $2000

Thanks for the feedback guys. I won't be racing, but I would like a fast bike that is goo for some longish rides with some rodie friends. I'll mainly be riding for exercise and getting outdoors but have lots o friends that are serious riders (ex-pros included).

Are there a few brands or bikes that I should be looking at in particular so I know which LBS to visit?

Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member

Best Road Bike for $2000

Oh also, obviously budget will dictate this, but I would ideally opt for a carbon frame (or as light a bike as possible for my budget).

Not a rocket surgeon.
    I think at that pricepoint you could end up on a Cannondale 10-3.
    Alot of people sy that the CAAD series bikes are race oriented. To each their own. I run mine with a 25 tire and fined it to be very comfortable.

Check out Cannondale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dmason898 View Post
    Oh also, obviously budget will dictate this, but I would ideally opt for a carbon frame (or as light a bike as possible for my budget).
    I think you're looking for my bike. The Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE: www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1130989_-1_400309__400309

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Re: Best Road Bike for $2000

Quote Originally Posted by dmason898 View Post
    FWIW, both of my Focus Izalcos are carbon and I'm rally happy with them...comfortable enough to do a century, and if I were 20 years younger, 35lbs lighter, I'd have no problem racing them. This from a die-hard steel guy, who is climbing better at 40 than he was in college. :screwy: However the Focus Cayo, also carbon, can be found at or under $2k. I also hear some of the carbon Fujis are solid bikes as well. I'm sure there are many options that can meet your needs/budget, but most important, it should fit properly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeet View Post
    I think you're looking for my bike. The Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE: www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1130989_-1_400309__400309
    The good thing about Performance online, is the fact that the bike gets shipped to a local bike shop. It gets assembled there and you get to test ride it before it leaves the shop. If there's a problem, it either gets sent back immediately, or a remedy is offered on the spot. That's what I call 100% satisfaction!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    The good thing about Performance online, is the fact that the bike gets shipped to a local bike shop. It gets assembled there and you get to test ride it before it leaves the shop. If there's a problem, it either gets sent back immediately, or a remedy is offered on the spot. That's what I call 100% satisfaction!

Cranky Old Bastard
    WTF was that?? You quoted yourself so you could give a thumbs up??
    And that was after you already quoted yourself??

You're a one man conversation!!
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

Darling of The Lounge
    Repped!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Competitive Cyclist has some pretty hot deals from time to time, if you know the geometry you need.
    Tis the season for all of us not hard enough to play to belittle those not hard enough to win. We are a funny lot. - dave @ November Bicycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great. Thanks for all the info. THe CAAD10 sounds like a good bike to check out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    WTF was that?? You quoted yourself so you could give a thumbs up??
    And that was after you already quoted yourself??

You're a one man conversation!!
    For some unknown reason, I can't downshift and a bunch of other things on this site with my keyboard...Some of my functions have been disabled. It's only on this site!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    You are mostly looking at bikes with Shimano 105 or Sram Rival in that price range if you are focusing at 2013 stock (which is more than fine). I personally think Felt (F5, Z4, Z5) have some good values if they fit you and your riding goals and you can also pick up a 2012 Diamondback Podium 5 on Amazon for about $1,400 right now. It has a little taller headtube than the Felt F Series (a little lower than the Felt Z Series) and the frame is reportedly around 950 grams which is really good for the price. Competitve Cyclist has some close out Ridleys and others and R&A Cycles has some closeout Scott Foils if you are looking for more of an aero road (with less "comfort"). I agree with checking local shops as well. I just found out one near me has some base closeout 2013 Cannondale Supersix Evo's at ridiculous prices if you can live with Apex or 105 on them instead of Sram Red.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Cranky Old Bastard
    For some unknown reason, I can't downshift and a bunch of other things on this site with my keyboard...Some of my functions have been disabled. It's only on this site!
    Maybe god is trying to tell you something??

Hey, J/K! One day I lost my "rep" and "multiquote" buttons. Still gone.
    When I turned off my Adblocker they came back but I won't put up with the ads here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I went around to 4 of my local shops and looked at and rode what they had in my price range. Two shops had older models for a discount. Both fit great. One shop discounted theirs more so I went with it. I couldn't be happier with my 2012 focus cayo 3.0

I thought about buying online, but in the end getting the right size, and having support from my local shop was important to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Maybe god is trying to tell you something??

Hey, J/K! One day I lost my "rep" and "multiquote" buttons. Still gone.
    When I turned off my Adblocker they came back but I won't put up with the ads here.
    Yeah, Randy! I'm certain your god is trying to tell all of us something. However, we will continue to pray to our God, that your god of darkness, releases you from his firm grasp, so that you can eventually join us in the glorious fight against the Satanic lords of aluminum...Ah correction..I mean, evil!
    Last edited by Zeet; 07-06-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Yeah, Randy! I'm certain your god is trying to tell all of us something. However, we will continue to pray to our God, that your god of darkness, release you from his firm grasp, so that you can eventually join us in the glorious fight against the Satanic lords of aluminum...Ah correction..I mean, evil!
    I should have known not to use that word with you. I opened the door to your insulting me and bringing your religious beliefs into a cycling forum.

Your opinion of me and my beliefs means less than nothing.
    This conversation is dead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    I should have known not to use that word with you. I opened the door to your insulting me and bringing your religious beliefs into a cycling forum.

Your opinion of me and my beliefs means less than nothing.
    This conversation is dead.
    You took that seriously!...Really? ...If you took that seriously, then nobody has to insult you. You insult yourself!
    Last edited by Zeet; 07-06-2013 at 08:58 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Take a look online ... no tax and free shipping

Shimano Ultegra 6700 Carbon Fiber Kestrel Evoke $1,799
    Kestrel Evoke with Shimano Ultegra group | Save up to 60% off List price

Shimano 105 Carbon Fiber Kestrel RT1000 $1,649
    Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Kestrel RT1000

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    try a Cervelo R3 105, a cannondale CAAD 10. also maybe a closeout on a cannondale super six, a specialized roubaix or tarmac
    Dogma, synapse disc, caad 10, de rosa neo primato, felt CX, epic, fat bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast