Best Road Bike for $2000 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Just bought a 2013 Trek Madone 4.5c for 2000, good deals to be had right now I think.

RoadBikeReview Member

Best Road Bike for $2000

Was that at a LBS Foxman?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Yes it is, here in Michigan.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxman View Post
    Just bought a 2013 Trek Madone 4.5c for 2000, good deals to be had right now I think.
    I just bought the same bike here in Southern California for $1899. The LBS is blowing out their 2013 Trek's to make room for 2014's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Again, thanks for all the feedback guys. I feel like ordering online might be really risky not knowing what size is right for me. How difficult is it to fit yourself using the proper measurements?

Is this doable or just a bad idea? I'd love to take advantage of a good deal found online, but only if I can get a properly fitting bike that I will be happy with for a long time. I find the whole frame geometry thing a bit dizzying. Are there any proven resources or guides online that make this easy for the average guy to figure out what he needs?

Thanks!

fu
    Bad idea in my opinion. I would never buy a bike without riding it first. I also don't believe that you really save money by buying bikes online. If you start riding a lot, your bike will need maintenance. That's where a local shop comes into play. Shops usually give you free adjustments for the lifetime of the bikes that you buy from them. Also, they will deal with the manufacturer of the parts on your behalf when something breaks (at least during the warranty period - in some cases even after). They might also lend you parts or a whole bike while yours isn't rideable. You obviously won't get all that from an online retailer.
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ph0enix View Post
    Bad idea in my opinion. I would never buy a bike without riding it first. I also don't believe that you really save money by buying bikes online. If you start riding a lot, your bike will need maintenance. That's where a local shop comes into play. Shops usually give you free adjustments for the lifetime of the bikes that you buy from them. Also, they will deal with the manufacturer of the parts on your behalf when something breaks (at least during the warranty period - in some cases even after). They might also lend you parts or a whole bike while yours isn't rideable. You obviously won't get all that from an online retailer.
    That's a useful perspective. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dmason898 View Post
    Again, thanks for all the feedback guys. I feel like ordering online might be really risky not knowing what size is right for me. How difficult is it to fit yourself using the proper measurements?

Is this doable or just a bad idea? I'd love to take advantage of a good deal found online, but only if I can get a properly fitting bike that I will be happy with for a long time. I find the whole frame geometry thing a bit dizzying. Are there any proven resources or guides online that make this easy for the average guy to figure out what he needs?

Thanks!
    The least risky way to order online is thru Performance. The bike gets shipped to a brick and mortar LBS. They receive and assemble your bike right there on the premises. You then go to pick it up. After a brief size/fit session, they'll let you test ride the bike. If the bike is the right size and it fits according to your liking, you just roll out the door. OTOH, if it doesn't fit, they can either send it back for a model that you'd prefer, or they can just simply give you a refund. They'll assure you 100% satisfaction one way or another.
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    I just bought a CAAD 10 / 105's for $1500 in compact. If a LBS has your size I would really recommend that you take a good look at the CAAD. For the additional $ savings you could go with a new Mavik wheelset (on ebay as New/old stock) for $350 - toss on new rubber - Conti 4000's or Gatorbacks and you are well equipped for $2K - toss in come cycling clothes and a good high end helmet and you're @ $2200. Done & Dusted. I have been very happy with my CAAD 10 / 105. Rode Specialiazed Tarmac's and Fuji's in the past - I needed a bike to get back into cycling & the 'boss' (She who must be obeyed) did not want me spending a lot of $$ on it. So I went Aluminum and Cannondale absolutely rocks. I had an old C300 commuter that I beat the crap out of and it just came back for more so I am sold on the brand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxman View Post
    I just got the same deal here on Long Island, NY. Madone 4.5c for me and a Madone 4.5c WSD for my wife. I had my heart set on a Bianchi Sempre Pro 105 but $2000 for a carbon frame Trek with Ultrega derailleurs and a carbon seat post was too good to pass up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Cannondale will now have a Supersix Evo and a version of the new redesigned Synapse at the $2000 price point as well for 2014 (both will have Shimano 105). The Synapse versions of both bikes should be around $2500.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmason898 View Post

Thanks!
    Don't listen to the naysayers ... check out the Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist
    A far better fit than most local bike shops!

Last edited by flatsix911; 07-16-2013 at 09:41 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Very happy with my '12 Giant Defy Advanced 1 that was picked up at a 35% discount at my LBS. Right around $2K OTD!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12