Bike build looking for frames
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    47

    Bike build looking for frames

    So just was looking up a colnago frame and they came up on this website dhgate.com. Are these authentic?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by 07stuntin6r View Post
    So just was looking up a colnago frame and they came up on this website dhgate.com. Are these authentic?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Absolutely not. dhgate is a "China direct" retail site like Alibaba, AliExpress etc. Quality will be a lottery, but it will most certainly not be authentic.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,697
    My recommendation is to think quality, performance, and value instead of brands when doing a build from a frameset up. The Specialized Allez, Giant TCR, and Trek Edmonds ALR have all been really solid values for a while now depending on what your riding preferences are. Sites like Competitive Cyclist, The Proís Closet, Glory Cycles, Colorado Cyclist, Global Bikes, and R&A Cycles tend to have some good stuff on closeout or resale at good prices too from time to time.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: David Loving's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    I bought a Pedal Force carbon frame, an RS2, about 10 years ago. Group buy. I built it up with 10 speed carbon Chorus. ROL Race SL wheels. What a great bike! Just got back from an hour ride, out into a 20 mph wind and flying back. https://www.cyclingweekly.com/review...edal-force-rs2
    RS22014.jpg.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

    "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

  5. #5
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Sites like Competitive Cyclist, The Proís Closet, Glory Cycles, Colorado Cyclist, Global Bikes, and R&A Cycles tend to have some good stuff on closeout or resale at good prices too from time to time.
    I don't associate any of those folks with great deals. Pro's Closet is over priced used equipment. Colorado Cyclist is pretty much retail although they and Excel sometimes have deals on close out frames. R&A is totally over priced with a big dollop of attitude. The best deal on Colnago frames is Maestro (https://www.maestro-uk.com/).

    If you are going to build it up from a frame, do get something unique. At least for me, that's part of the allure of going that direction.

    The Chinese no name mystery frames are not my cup of tea, but I've known two guys who bought them, custom painted for $400 and swear by them. One guy is a cat 2/3 racer and says its a world class bike (whatever that means).

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,245
    You could check with Planet X in the UK-their carbon frames are most likely Chinese open molds as well but there's probably some additional quality control at their warehouse before they ship to you.

    https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/frames/road-bike-frames

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,697
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I don't associate any of those folks with great deals. Pro's Closet is over priced used equipment. Colorado Cyclist is pretty much retail although they and Excel sometimes have deals on close out frames. R&A is totally over priced with a big dollop of attitude. The best deal on Colnago frames is Maestro (https://www.maestro-uk.com/).

    If you are going to build it up from a frame, do get something unique. At least for me, that's part of the allure of going that direction.

    The Chinese no name mystery frames are not my cup of tea, but I've known two guys who bought them, custom painted for $400 and swear by them. One guy is a cat 2/3 racer and says its a world class bike (whatever that means).
    I stand by what I said. All of those sites have good closeout sales or deals from time to time.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I don't associate any of those folks with great deals. Pro's Closet is over priced used equipment. Colorado Cyclist is pretty much retail although they and Excel sometimes have deals on close out frames. R&A is totally over priced with a big dollop of attitude. The best deal on Colnago frames is Maestro (https://www.maestro-uk.com/).

    If you are going to build it up from a frame, do get something unique. At least for me, that's part of the allure of going that direction.

    The Chinese no name mystery frames are not my cup of tea, but I've known two guys who bought them, custom painted for $400 and swear by them. One guy is a cat 2/3 racer and says its a world class bike (whatever that means).
    Darn I was thinking they were fakes on that website. I definitely do want to build something unique and make it my own instead of something off the shelf. The bike I have now Iíve changed everything on it except the headset and chain rings.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    72
    World class bike, you made me laugh at that one.

Similar Threads

  1. Dedacciai Frames Now at Pro Bike Supply! 15% off all frames!!!
    By ProBikeSupply_Kyle in forum Hot Deals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2013, 04:31 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-04-2010, 12:04 PM
  3. Questions: "lively" frames; good "planing" frames...
    By elvisvelo in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-16-2008, 06:06 PM
  4. CAAD frames V System six frames
    By ralph1 in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 01:46 PM
  5. Bike build..It takes a village to build a bike
    By Ichykuu in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2007, 06:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.