Bike build looking for frames
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017

Bike build looking for frames

So just was looking up a colnago frame and they came up on this website dhgate.com. Are these authentic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 07stuntin6r View Post
    So just was looking up a colnago frame and they came up on this website dhgate.com. Are these authentic?

Absolutely not. dhgate is a "China direct" retail site like Alibaba, AliExpress etc. Quality will be a lottery, but it will most certainly not be authentic.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    My recommendation is to think quality, performance, and value instead of brands when doing a build from a frameset up. The Specialized Allez, Giant TCR, and Trek Edmonds ALR have all been really solid values for a while now depending on what your riding preferences are. Sites like Competitive Cyclist, The Proís Closet, Glory Cycles, Colorado Cyclist, Global Bikes, and R&A Cycles tend to have some good stuff on closeout or resale at good prices too from time to time.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I bought a Pedal Force carbon frame, an RS2, about 10 years ago. Group buy. I built it up with 10 speed carbon Chorus. ROL Race SL wheels. What a great bike! Just got back from an hour ride, out into a 20 mph wind and flying back. https://www.cyclingweekly.com/review...edal-force-rs2
    RS22014.jpg.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Sites like Competitive Cyclist, The Proís Closet, Glory Cycles, Colorado Cyclist, Global Bikes, and R&A Cycles tend to have some good stuff on closeout or resale at good prices too from time to time.
    I don't associate any of those folks with great deals. Pro's Closet is over priced used equipment. Colorado Cyclist is pretty much retail although they and Excel sometimes have deals on close out frames. R&A is totally over priced with a big dollop of attitude. The best deal on Colnago frames is Maestro (https://www.maestro-uk.com/).

If you are going to build it up from a frame, do get something unique. At least for me, that's part of the allure of going that direction.

The Chinese no name mystery frames are not my cup of tea, but I've known two guys who bought them, custom painted for $400 and swear by them. One guy is a cat 2/3 racer and says its a world class bike (whatever that means).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    You could check with Planet X in the UK-their carbon frames are most likely Chinese open molds as well but there's probably some additional quality control at their warehouse before they ship to you.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/frames/road-bike-frames

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I don't associate any of those folks with great deals. Pro's Closet is over priced used equipment. Colorado Cyclist is pretty much retail although they and Excel sometimes have deals on close out frames. R&A is totally over priced with a big dollop of attitude. The best deal on Colnago frames is Maestro (https://www.maestro-uk.com/).

If you are going to build it up from a frame, do get something unique. At least for me, that's part of the allure of going that direction.

The Chinese no name mystery frames are not my cup of tea, but I've known two guys who bought them, custom painted for $400 and swear by them. One guy is a cat 2/3 racer and says its a world class bike (whatever that means).
    I stand by what I said. All of those sites have good closeout sales or deals from time to time.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post

Darn I was thinking they were fakes on that website. I definitely do want to build something unique and make it my own instead of something off the shelf. The bike I have now Iíve changed everything on it except the headset and chain rings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    World class bike, you made me laugh at that one.