Bike fit with long legs and short torso

Aug 2006

Bike fit with long legs and short torso

Ok, I need some help about bike fit. I have 35" inseam and 26" trunk, long legs short torso. Currently I ride a 60cm Madone 5.2, and I love the ride, but the reach is just too much, and all the pressure is on my saddle, and I go numb after 5-10 miles (depending how hard I ride). My LBS insists this is the right size for me. I also have a size Large Kuota K-Factor with around 4 inches of bar drop and I love the fit. I like how the drop puts me in a much lower position.

The problem is that my team is sponsored by Cannondale and the Systemsix is not a compact geometry design. Alternatively the University of Colorado cycling team is sponsored by Giant. So I think a Large TCR Advanced will be a good fit, but I like the Systemsix a lot, but don't know what size would be a good fit. Competitive cyclist says I should get a bike with a 56cm TT, but the seat tube measurement does not match CC. What to do?!
    Proud Saturn of Toledo/ Shell rider

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

need info..

A Trek is about the worst geometry there is for a short torsoed rider. You've provided no info about your stem length or angle, or an actual saddle height. It's simple to predict the fit of a comparable frame, but you have to post all the vital information first.

The Kuota K-factor has a 150mm head tube, a 56cm TT and a very steep 75 degree seat tube angle. The STA is 1.5-2.0 degees steeper than most frames of this size. For a given saddle position, relative to the bottm bracket, the steep STA makes the TT length (actually the reach) about 1.5-2.0cm longer that a frame with a "normal" 73.5-73 degree STA.

The "56cm" (54cm c-t size) System six has a slightly taller 155mm head tube and the same 56cm TT, but with a normal 73.5 degree STA, it's reach will be about 1.5cm less, if you place the saddle in the same position relative to the BB. You'll need a 10-20mm longer stem than you now use on the K-factor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Roubaix Pro/Pilot

Both Specialized (Roubaix Pro) and Trek (Pilot) make 'comfort' bikes. These 'comfort' bikes could very well be excellent fitting bikes for cyclists who have long legs and a short torso.

duh...
    something WSD-like

Not Banned

look into Italy

most Italian Bikes should fit you to a T
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by saturncyclist
    Ok, I need some help about bike fit. I have 35" inseam and 26" trunk, long legs short torso. Currently I ride a 60cm Madone 5.2, and I love the ride, but the reach is just too much, and all the pressure is on my saddle, and I go numb after 5-10 miles (depending how hard I ride). My LBS insists this is the right size for me. I also have a size Large Kuota K-Factor with around 4 inches of bar drop and I love the fit. I like how the drop puts me in a much lower position.

The problem is that my team is sponsored by Cannondale and the Systemsix is not a compact geometry design. Alternatively the University of Colorado cycling team is sponsored by Giant. So I think a Large TCR Advanced will be a good fit, but I like the Systemsix a lot, but don't know what size would be a good fit. Competitive cyclist says I should get a bike with a 56cm TT, but the seat tube measurement does not match CC. What to do?!
    Get a Colnago. Guessing you'd ride a 62 or thereabouts. I'm almost the same size as you. Have a 60cm Bianchi and a 62cm Colnago. The Colnago fits much better.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Aug 2006
    pedal to top of saddle: 37.875"
    saddle to bars: 24.5"

hmm... the "competitive fit" (which sounds spot on for what I'm looking for) says my saddle to bars should be around 3" shorter

Aug 2006
    Stem is a bontrager race lite 110mm -7 degree

Shirtcocker
    You can always flip the stem upside down to give you a bit of a rise.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Jun 2006
    I also have a 36" inseam, and ride a 61cm Cervelo soloist team. I find the stretched out setup a lot more forgiving on my body over distance. I'm using a 100mm 7deg stem (angled downwards) with approx 250mm reach from center of stem to the base of the hoods (bontrager flat top bars + 06 ultegra have a long reach). Saddle to center of pedal is 103cm. I'm also using a lot of setback (cervelo setback post with saddle all the way back on the rails) as that makes my body naturally rotate the hips and also works well with the 10cm saddle-bar drop. I did a 180km ride last weekend, ~5hours of which were in the drops (i was working on flexibility) and had no body pain (apart from my legs being dead), i was fresh enough to do another 50km the next evening.
    He's dancing on the pedals in an immodest way!

Jun 2006
    I'm using the same stem in a 100mm, saddle to bar center is 24"

Aug 2006
    Well I prefer the compact lots of bar drop position, and the reach on my bike puts all the pressure straight on my nuts... not that comfortable

about the stem, I flipped it down and it actually helped a little bit having it down

Jun 2006
    Well I prefer the compact lots of bar drop position, and the reach on my bike puts all the pressure straight on my nuts... not that comfortable

about the stem, I flipped it down and it actually helped a little bit having it down
    My fix for that was actually raising the saddle (without changing the setback) so that the angle at my pelvis changed when in the drops. Too forward and low saddle results in being cramped up my nuts going numb.