Which bike should I buy? Argon 18 Platinum Full Carbon vs. Fuji
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    10

    Which bike should I buy? Argon 18 Platinum Full Carbon vs. Fuji

    Got back into cycling recently and am currently riding a Cilo (swiss) bike from the 80ís with dura ace components that are just as old. Itís 56cm & Iím 6í2 195 so I feel itís time that I get a bike thatís more responsive and actually fits me. I typically ride flat terrain but I live in a very mountainous region of AZ so itís not uncommon for to hit the hills. Iím in between 2 builds:
    -Argon 18 ($1190obo) https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7913566577980/
    Up for sale is this excellent condition full carbon Argon18 Platinum with ďcarbon nano-techĒ tubing and ďRPTĒ (Rear Power Transfer) technology. Argon18 is a widely respected Canadian-made brand. Nearly every part of this bike was carefully selected to match the aesthetics while saving weight to make a fast, functional machine of a road bike. If youíve been searching for a fully equipped, stylish, and lightweight road ride then look no further.


    Some of the upgraded components of this bike are:
    - Shimano Ultegra Dark Grey Groupset including shifters and rear derailleur with upgraded RD jockey wheels
    - FSA SLK Carbon Crank 53/39
    - FSA K Force Light Carbon Seat Post
    - Oval 327 Concepts 700c road wheelset
    - Continental Gatorskin tires
    - Shimano Ultegra caliper brakes
    - Quintana Roo titanium saddle
    - Easton EA90 stem
    - Specialized Shallow Bend drop bars
    - Fresh new bar tape
    - Brand new cables and housing


    This bike has only seen about 500 miles over its lifetime so the frame is in great condition, save for some very minor knicks from storage. Never crashed.


    2012 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0LE https://offerup.com/item/detail/750150613/
    Full C5 carbon frame and fork
    Carbon sworks bar
    Carbon headset and stem
    Carbon seatpost
    Full carbon roval rapide sl45 rims
    Brand new syncros saddle
    Ultegra clintcher brakes
    SRAM Red components
    Full carbon ControlTECH crank
    Shimano dura ace clip in pedals (spd-sl)
    Gatorskin continental tires front and rear
    Brand new specialized tubes (two extra tubes as well)
    Also comes with two co2 cartridges and mini pump

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,434
    I'm not sure but I believe the Argon is an aggressive race bike (low body position and quick handling) and I'd have to guess anything called "Gran Fondo" isn't.

    If I'm right this is more a question of a particular type of bike not particular bikes and that would be up to you.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,018
    I would lean towards the fuji, it has way more 'endurance' fit. The handlebar drop on that Argon is crazy for a 60yo.
    I would not get a bike that does not have compact crank, if you ever plan on riding Mt Lemon!
    BANNED

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    7,050
    First thing is to tear down the Cilo and sell the parts on Ebay. Early Dura Ace parts are still worth a bit and depending on the frame you could get good money on that as well. After you do that check your budget again and buy something a touch more modern with disc brakes and an integrated component suit. Why not buy from a shop that can fit you to a bike and even if it costs a little more you are getting trouble free cycling? I would pass on both those bikes. Argon ad sounds over hyped, a weird combination of parts and it's how old? Why the parts swap out after only 500 miles? and the Fuji is nearly 10 yrs old. Keep looking. Know what you want then go shopping. Good luck.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I would lean towards the fuji, it has way more 'endurance' fit. The handlebar drop on that Argon is crazy for a 60yo.
    I would not get a bike that does not have compact crank, if you ever plan on riding Mt Lemon!
    Right on, yeah Mt. Lemmon is something I do plan on tackling in the future in fact its right in my backyard. I also found this cannondale supersix in prescott that seems like it's a higher quality bike than the two I have my eyes on.
    https://prescott.craigslist.org/bik/...133567704.html

    tell me whatcha think

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    7,050
    rim brakes and poorly maintained. Again it's nearly 10 years old at $1300 plus required servicing costs, keep looking. A lot of doggy bikes being sold for too much money during COVID19 season.

    there is a Trek dealer in Tuscon, swing by look at this and realize how bad those second hand bikes you are looking at are when you see what you get for your money in 2020.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

    It's also new with warranty and servicing. It also is no slower or less comfortable than the bikes you have been looking at. How is your flexibility?

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    10
    I would part out my Cilo but it was my dads back in the day. It was a year old when he bought it from a team guy and she still goes. Iíll run it by my dad though, Iíll tell him whatever bike I get heíll be entitled to ride it However, I did sell some second amendment hardware which brings my price range up to 1500. Iíve been thinking about buying from a shop I just get the notion that my dollar would go further if I found something on Craigslist or OfferUp thatís carbon fiber, has upgraded components and is maybe a couple years old but well maintained. I guess thereís no way of knowing what a shop has to offer unless you check out their inventory so thatís something Iíll do in the near future. From your experience do shops always charge a premium or can you still find deals at some?

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    10
    Yeah I have been noticing that lately. For example, thereís a guy in my area asking 1700 for a 2009 Fuji Sl1 C10 when itís not even worth half that. Bicycle bluebook has been my best friend lately lol.

    Okay I plan on doing so for sure. I did check out the bike you linked and noticed how much more advanced the components are. My question to you is, is it worth getting a bike that weighs 21lbs with Disc brakes over a carbon bike that weighs say 17 pounds, is a few years old and has Ultegra components?

    My flexibility is decent, I mean I can touch my toes and I know with consistent stretching I can increase my flexibility because Iíve done it before.stey

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    rim brakes and poorly maintained. Again it's nearly 10 years old at $1300 plus required servicing costs, keep looking. A lot of doggy bikes being sold for too much money during COVID19 season.

    there is a Trek dealer in Tuscon, swing by look at this and realize how bad those second hand bikes you are looking at are when you see what you get for your money in 2020.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

    It's also new with warranty and servicing. It also is no slower or less comfortable than the bikes you have been looking at. How is your flexibility?
    Problem with this is, if his Trek Dealer is anything like all of the bike dealers in the Seattle Metro area (including the two Trek Dealers), they have ZERO stuff of anything under $3k available to look at/test ride.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Problem with this is, if his Trek Dealer is anything like all of the bike dealers in the Seattle Metro area (including the two Trek Dealers), they have ZERO stuff of anything under $3k available to look at/test ride.
    Yeah the Trek bike he linked is not available at any Tucson location. It would suck getting fitted for bikes u canít afford 😂

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    7,050
    Quote Originally Posted by 520arachnid View Post
    Yeah the Trek bike he linked is not available at any Tucson location. It would suck getting fitted for bikes u canít afford 😂
    Dealers are unlikely to discount these days due to really high demand of bikes. Check out some other brands as well as Trek. 21 pounds that is quite a lot of weight. What I linked to should be around 19 pounds. You make a good argument about the used carbon bike with good components if you know it fits and is in good running condition. Older frames may limit your tire options with tighter clearances.

    Getting a general idea of your fit from a dealer is still not a bad thing. you will know what size you should be looking at.



    Can you post some pics of the Cilo in the retro section? I'm sure many of us would enjoy seeing it. With it's history for the right buyer that could be worth quite a lot.

    Check over at the Paceline forum as well as there are bikes being sold over there all the time. you will need to post a few times to get access to the classifieds but pics of the Cilo and a few questions should get your post count up soon.

    Given your flexibility maybe a more aggressive geometry would work but as my wife tells me, you aren't getting any younger.

    Good idea about Bluebook. Good luck.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Dealers are unlikely to discount these days due to really high demand of bikes. Check out some other brands as well as Trek. 21 pounds that is quite a lot of weight. What I linked to should be around 19 pounds. You make a good argument about the used carbon bike with good components if you know it fits and is in good running condition. Older frames may limit your tire options with tighter clearances.

    Getting a general idea of your fit from a dealer is still not a bad thing. you will know what size you should be looking at.



    Can you post some pics of the Cilo in the retro section? I'm sure many of us would enjoy seeing it. With it's history for the right buyer that could be worth quite a lot.

    Check over at the Paceline forum as well as there are bikes being sold over there all the time. you will need to post a few times to get access to the classifieds but pics of the Cilo and a few questions should get your post count up soon.

    Given your flexibility maybe a more aggressive geometry would work but as my wife tells me, you aren't getting any younger.

    Good idea about Bluebook. Good luck.



    Yeah Iím keeping my mind open as far as brands. From what I can tell thereís like 5-10 brands worth considering. & believe it or not I looked up the specs and it weighs 9.4kg (20.7lbs) in 56cm. I require a 58cm so that wouldnít suit me very well especially on hills.

    Will do, yeah Iíve seen some vintage Cilos online going for several thousand. My dad did lay it down once in the Tour De Tucson but I think the frame just got a scuff or two.

    Thanks for the paceline suggestion! Itís funny I was actually just searching for forum classifieds and this one was the only one worth checking out and even then there werenít that many listings. Thereís a pretty good deal on there rn, although not my size, guy is selling a Pinarello Fp Quattro with di2 components for 900. But yeah Iíll sign up for pacelline and post pics of the Cilo here as well.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    10
    These are the two pre owned carbon bikes Iím most interested in rn. Leaning towards the Fondriest because of the Zipp wheels and Di2 components. Both bikes Iíd only be willing to buy if the seller negotiated with me.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9496874129740/
    https://flagstaff.craigslist.org/bik/7147851645.html

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    7,050
    Quote Originally Posted by 520arachnid View Post
    Yeah Iím keeping my mind open as far as brands. From what I can tell thereís like 5-10 brands worth considering. & believe it or not I looked up the specs and it weighs 9.4kg (20.7lbs) in 56cm. I require a 58cm so that wouldnít suit me very well especially on hills.

    Will do, yeah Iíve seen some vintage Cilos online going for several thousand. My dad did lay it down once in the Tour De Tucson but I think the frame just got a scuff or two.

    and post pics of the Cilo here as well.
    well you can still ride that classic steel bike so you have time on your side. Looking forward to seeing it.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rudge66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by 520arachnid View Post
    Yeah Iím keeping my mind open as far as brands. From what I can tell thereís like 5-10 brands worth considering.
    Hmmm... have you heard of Jamis? Is Jamis on your list ?

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    well you can still ride that classic steel bike so you have time on your side. Looking forward to seeing it.
    Just posted the pics in the retro section 👍🏼 Check it out! Also, before you can post in Paceline do you have to be approved by a moderator or something? I made my account but it wonít let me post.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    Hmmm... have you heard of Jamis? Is Jamis on your list ?

    Jamis is a quality bike and definitely belongs on that list but theyíre hard to come by and I havenít found a single one for sale in my size in AZ. Is that what you ride?

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    7,050
    Quote Originally Posted by 520arachnid View Post
    Just posted the pics in the retro section  Check it out! Also, before you can post in Paceline do you have to be approved by a moderator or something? I made my account but it wonít let me post.
    give it a bit of time, moderators like to ride bikes and stuff.

  19. #19
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,179
    Quote Originally Posted by 520arachnid View Post
    I require a 58cm .......
    Are you sure you are a 58 and not a size up from there? You're 6' 2". I'm 5' 10" with a 32" inseam and my correct size is a 56. For your height, the cockpit of that 56 frame must have felt horribly cramped!

    Another thing I see problematic in your search is that the bikes you are considering are different types of bikes - some are aggressive race type bikes, others are more upright endurance bikes. Which type of bike is it you are looking for? They will feel and ride different.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rudge66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by 520arachnid View Post
    Is that what you ride?
    I currently ride, and can highly recommend a rim brake TCR.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tc...l-0---red-2018
    I've mounted 28mm GP 5000 TL.
    It's an absolute blast! Stiff, responsive, and fast... if thats your thing.
    Last edited by rudge66; 6 Days Ago at 05:59 AM.

  21. #21
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,179
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    I currently ride, and can highly recommend a rim break TCR.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tc...l-0---red-2018
    I've mounted 28mm GP 5000 TL.
    It's an absolute blast! Stiff, responsive, and fast... if thats your thing.
    Why would you want rims that break? That would be painful.

    Or do you mean rim brakes?
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rudge66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Are you sure you are a 58 and not a size up from there? You're 6' 2". I'm 5' 10" with a 32" inseam and my correct size is a 56. For your height, the cockpit of that 56 frame must have felt horribly cramped!

    Another thing I see problematic in your search is that the bikes you are considering are different types of bikes - some are aggressive race type bikes, others are more upright endurance bikes. Which type of bike is it you are looking for? They will feel and ride different.
    Please Lombard refrain. We don't need another train wreck!

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rudge66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Why would you want rims that break? That would be painful.

    Or do you mean rim brakes?
    Agreed... correction made.

  24. #24
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,179
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    Please Lombard refrain. We don't need another train wreck!
    There is only one train wreck in this thread and it is not I. Yes, I know you like to ride frames that are too small and recommend bikes that are way out of budget when people ask for advice. Why are you recommending a $10,000 bike when the OP is looking at bikes in the $1,000-$2,000 range?
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rudge66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    There is only one train wreck in this thread and it is not I. Yes, I know you like to ride frames that are too small and recommend bikes that are way out of budget when people ask for advice. Why are you recommending a $10,000 bike when the OP is looking at bikes in the $1,000-$2,000 range?
    I recommended Jamis... Jamis.

    OP ask me what I ride. T R C.
    The OP didn't ask for your Fit Or Sizing Advice.
    I get it...You like an Ooversized big bike And you can't ride Drops, your Hands Get Numb, and don't have the skill to Climb Standing Out The Saddle.
    Thats clear. IMOP That's the wreck .
    Last edited by rudge66; 6 Days Ago at 05:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What to Buy: Specialized Dolce Comp Compact vs. Argon 18 Radon?
    By GadgetGirl in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 04:49 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-26-2009, 09:59 PM
  3. Argon Platinum or Lynskey 110 frameset?
    By Balderick in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2007, 01:02 AM
  4. Argon Platinum FRAUD
    By mcmikey in forum Classifieds Feedback - Scam Warnings
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 06:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.