Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    An excellent choice. Tom knows an awful lot about designing for tall people, and produces as nice a frame as anyone in the US.

Pic?
    Here are some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike suggestions for a tall rider?-spec1.jpg   Bike suggestions for a tall rider?-spec2.jpg   Bike suggestions for a tall rider?-spec3.jpg   Bike suggestions for a tall rider?-spec4.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Beautiful frame.....those are some nice welds.

It would be interesting to compare the geometry you guys settled on with the geo on the 64 madone from the shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Wow, I gotta say: you REALLY did your homework and it resulted in a wise decision.

I'm impressed; you picked a very qualified builder.

How about details of the process with Tom and Jeff, and how the end result fits and rides?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Peter P. - It's been a while since I last posted. Too busy with work and family.

The process was quite easy. I could have sent Tom my measurements but decided to take a drive to his shop. Yes it was a 5 hour drive, but felt it would be worth it considering the investment.
    I spend approx 2 to 3 hours with Tom getting fitted and describing my riding style etc. I brought my previous bike as a sample of what I have been riding. Three months later it was ready for pickup. Everything was perfect. The end result is an awesome ride. I used to do 30km rides and felt pretty beat up afterwards. Now an average ride is 50+km and feel great. Biggest problem has been getting myself back into shape.

It was worth the investment and the process was smooth, problem free and Tom really knows his stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by breakesfail View Post
    Just because he rides it doesn't mean it fits.

Decrepit Member
    Rivendell builds the Homer Hilsen in very large sizes (65, 67, 69, and 71cm).

Here's a 69cm frame.

-Stan
    my bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    +1 on Gunnar. They have regular production frames up to 68 cm, or you could go custom for a little more.

I've heard Curtlo is a big guy, and his frames are very reasonable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Same height, 4 years younger, similar situation. Currently on a 66cm Cannondale CAAD3 with Ultegra. Want a more comfortable, classy ride that fits me like a glove. I'm also hooked on the notion of getting cranks longer than my current 180's.

Have a couple options - met with Lennard Zinn when I was in CO a few weeks ago - vastly impressed with his knowledge and quality of his company's work...

Option 1: Titanium - either a used Zinn (found one that's perfect, but loaded with 4 s&s couplers, so the whole bike is over $7000 - or a new Zinn Titanium (even more $$).

Option 2: Steel - $2500 for one of steel from Zinn

Option 2a: I could have Gunnar (basically local to me) build me a custom sized ride with a slightly higher BB to clear 210mm crank arms.

Cranks can be sourced from Zinn or High Sierra Cycle.

I'm skeptical that a 62cm is going to fit you - top tube is pretty short... but then everybody's different.

LAX

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    There is a 6' 7" bloke in my club who rides the biggest Madone with the tallest head tube. Fit looks good.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Kempenfeltkelly:

Thanks for the report. It's always interesting to hear about the process and the customer's level of satisfaction afterward. I've no doubt Tom Kellogg built a proper frame for you and your wait time for the frame was very short.

Is the bike built around those Dura Ace cranks or are you still planning to get custom length arms?

It also looks like the bike has a really slack seat angle. I wonder if Spectrum built the frame around 180mm cranks? If I've understood what Lennard Zinn has written regarding larger frames, he prefers a 73 degree seat angle for all sizes and then chooses the crank length to position the rider.

It just goes to show there are many ways to properly fit a rider to a bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Peter P.:

I have the Ultegra Group with Dura Ace cranks only because Ultegra didn't come in 180mm cranks.

In researching custom length arms I did look at Lennard Zinn crank arms. I called Zinn related to his longer crank arms and custom bikes. Very attentive, knowledgeable and answered my questions. It came down to researching the fundamentals between very long crank arms, such as 210mm vs 180mm. Also, I wanted to go with a builder that is not too far from where I live. I went with Spectrum Cycles after speaking with Tom Kellogg. Now Tom Kellogg & Spectrum is still a good 5 hour drive for me. Overall, regarding 200+mm crank arms you will get a lot of opinions and you need to make the call your self as to what works best for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Bill Walton's

Hank

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you buy the Madone, you will have a fairly significant saddle to bar drop height. If you don't mind being in a very "racer" oriented position, then the Madone will probably work. But, depending on how tall your upper body is, you may find the top tube too short as well. So you'll have an extreme saddle seatback and an extreme stem length (say 140mm). The Madone will never fit as well as a custom bike.

If price is an issue, and Zinn and Spectrum are both very expensive, then look at a custom builder like Curtlo or Strong and buy a steel frame. They'll walk you through how to measure your proportions over the phone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    I am new to the forum looking for some suggetions for a road bike carbon fiber. I am 6'5"" 230lbs. budget $2,500. Local bike shops are suggetsions focus 61cm, cannondale 63cm and Scott 61cm. any feedback or suggestions would be great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Do you know the geometry you want?

There are some biiig frames out there already. Merckx and Ridley are based where there are plenty of tall guys. Trek has the Domain which has taller head tubes, Cannondale has their 60cm which is pretty big, and Specialized has the Roubaix which has very tall head tubes.
    You might be able to save a lot of money and still get a nice off the shelf bike. But most important is knowing what your geometry needs to be. Get a professional and impartial bike fit done. Best cycling investment you'll ever make.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    There should be another wheel standard bigger than 700. Because of screwed up proportions all those extra large bikes look so ugly. I would guess that larger wheels would also improve stability/handling.

There is a 650 standard for small folks. Why are tall people discriminated? Probably because such standard would not be profitable.

Wood Badge NE VI-1
    Quote Originally Posted by veingrad1 View Post
    I am new to the forum looking for some suggetions for a road bike carbon fiber. I am 6'5"" 230lbs. budget $2,500. Local bike shops are suggetsions focus 61cm, cannondale 63cm and Scott 61cm. any feedback or suggestions would be great.
    Look in Classic Bikes and be patient.
    I have a 70cm (c-c) Panasonic, a 68.5cm (c-c) Specialized Sequoia (1983) and a 68cm (c-c)Schwinn World Sport. (1986). All these bikes were built before the Japanese recession of 1990. Beaverstuff

Russian Troll Farmer
    Since he posted this post SEVEN YEARS AGO,​ I'm fairly certain he found something that worked. Please don't reply to dead threads.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Any Tall guys looking for bikes check out the Facebook Page “Tall Bikes and Beyond 60cm or larger bikes only” some great deal there. I just bought a 61cm 2016 Full Carbon Giant Defy Advanced Pro Zero Hydro Disc and Dura-ace build for $1500 shipped. Hard to beat that.

Here is an example of a big bike for sale. 68cm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12