BMW vs. Mercedes-Benz...Which Bike?

Sep 2005

BMW vs. Mercedes-Benz...Which Bike?

Any help in providing a brief comparison of the following bikes would be appreciated (represents what is available at LBSes). Have any of the cycling magazines and/or sites ever provided any type of "shootout" comparisons like the car magazines???

Orbea Orca
    Orbea Opal
    Scott CR1
    Look 585
    Cannandale Six13 (2006) (Cannondale has a link to an article where the Six13 is picked over the Look 585?)
    Tarmac S-Works

I'm 6'-3", 215lbs. and my previous bike was a 2002 Trek 5200. Good bang for the buck at the time. Looking for a BMW vs. a Mercedes-Benz or solid training machine to get my legs in shape for tri racing towards the end of 2006. Which frame would provide the best overall package of "The Ultimate Cycling Machine"?

Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanlete
    Have any of the cycling magazines and/or sites ever provided any type of "shootout" comparisons like the car magazines???

Orbea Orca
    Orbea Opal
    Scott CR1
    Look 585
    Cannandale Six13 (2006) (Cannondale has a link to an article where the Six13 is picked over the Look 585?)
    Tarmac S-Works
    The August issue (#173) of the Cycling Plus (www.cyclingplus.co.uk) magazine had a 34 page insert called "Le Tour Superbikes" in which the following TDF team bikes were tested:
    • Cannondale six13 (Lampre Caffita 2005 team bike)
    • Scott CR1
    • Decathlon Penta Pro
    • Look 486
    • Time VXR
    • Orbea Orca
    • Giant Advanced
    • Colnago C50
    • BMC Team Machine s103
    • Trek SSLx

You might still be able to find the magazine. Their pick to ride the TDF was the Trek, followed closely by the Time.

Feb 2004
    Sorry but there is no BMW vs. Mercedes comparison in the bike world. That is unless you can find a high dollar bike that falls apart, won't shift correctly, needs a new drivetrain every 1000 miles, and rattles like mad.

As a 15+ year Mercedes and BMW owner, I can tell you that both companies have gone backwards in terms of quality and reliability over the past 15 years, while bikes have moved forward.

Now to answer your question. All the bikes you listed are great bikes, ride as many as you can and get the one that feels the best to you.

Feb 2004
    Scott CR-1= BMW M3 CSL

Sep 2005

Buy one of everything?

We have had a great experience with our 2001 530i. There is a distinctive driving difference and experience between the big two German manufacturers, no doubt.

I know the best advice is to ride all the bikes, but it never hurts to collect as much information as possible. With that said, are any of the bikes better suited for a 200-215 lbs. (swim, bike, run) athlete vs. a 160 lb. cyclist? Or, does this not matter? Which process (i.e. lug vs. monocoque), bottom bracket, and rear triangle offer the best overall package?

Would a heavier weight rider benefit from a stiffer frame bike? I ask because Pez just provided a review of the Look 585, however they seem to have a "Void" disclaimer for riders over 200lbs???

Sep 2005

What else?

Thanks, now is there anything that would provide a little smoother ride and stability, with a sick amount of HP like a 2006 BMW M5 (V-10)?

Self-Banned
    Time XVRS, there is no substitute.

Feb 2004
    Thanks, now is there anything that would provide a little smoother ride and stability, with a sick amount of HP like a 2006 BMW M5 (V-10)?
    Colnago C-50. It's just like the M5 - a big, stable and poised long distance cruiser that can run and gun with the best of them. And it's fine craftsmanship just like any true Motorsports division product should be. Best of all, is its jaw dropping beauty.

Both are truely masterpieces.

Feb 2004
    We have had a great experience with our 2001 530i. There is a distinctive driving difference and experience between the big two German manufacturers, no doubt.

I know the best advice is to ride all the bikes, but it never hurts to collect as much information as possible. With that said, are any of the bikes better suited for a 200-215 lbs. (swim, bike, run) athlete vs. a 160 lb. cyclist? Or, does this not matter? Which process (i.e. lug vs. monocoque), bottom bracket, and rear triangle offer the best overall package?

Would a heavier weight rider benefit from a stiffer frame bike? I ask because Pez just provided a review of the Look 585, however they seem to have a "Void" disclaimer for riders over 200lbs???
    I'm 225 lbs and I ride a Scott CR-1 and a Colnago C-50. I've also owned a Giant TCR carbon. I have never had any issues concerning rider weight with any of these bikes. The TCR flexed more than the other two in the headtube/fork area but it was only noticeable after riding the C-50 for a while.

The CR-1 and the C-50 are way stiffer than my Ti/carbon Colnago CT-1. There is absolutely no flex in the BB area or the fork/headtube area. Both of these bikes are lugged frames. The C-50 uses the traditional carbon lugs and the CR-1 uses some sort of new lug system.

By the way, I had a 1991 E30 M3 and a 1996 E36 M3 so I'm sort of partial to the Bavarian Motor Workes.

Sep 2005

Thanks! C-50 vs. CR1

If you could only keep one bike would it be the C-50? Why? How do you differentiate which bike (i.e. conditions) you are going to ride for a particular mood?

Feb 2004
    If you could only keep one bike would it be the C-50? Why? How do you differentiate which bike (i.e. conditions) you are going to ride for a particular mood?
    I'm not sure which bike I would keep. It might be the C-50 because the paint job looks so nice and the bike has the best components available where the CR-1 has lower level components.

I have a real simple method of deciding what bike to ride. I am down to one set of clinchers to train on because the rear hub on my Ksyriums need a little work. I've been kind of lazy and haven't done a thing with the Ksyriums yet. So I use one bike for two rides then I change the wheels (Zipp 404s) to the other bike and I ride it for two rides. That way my chains/cassette don't get mated to one bike and hopefully I can get a little more use out of my cassette. Plus, I really like the 404s so it gives me an excuse to ride them everyday. That is until my Lighweight wheels come next week then I will probably ride them for a while.

Sep 2005

Which ones have limits?

Thanks! Which bikes have limits?

p.s. Why haven't the German's engineered a carbon bike? Storck?

RoadBikeReview Member
    An old friend (50's), and a collector to the likes of which I have never seen (literally 10 assorted C40, 50 CF1's and so on Colnago's in his collection of some 50+ high dollar builds, Pinarello's, Orbea's, you name it) offered me the advice of trying to locate a BMC SLT01 due to its stiffness. He said I would like it better then the C40 and 50 because I am 6'3" at 200lbs. I have just purchased a BMC frame and have yet to ride it, but I would think a bigger rider like you would definetly want as stiff a frame as one could accomodate. Also the BMC has no rider weight limit which makes me feel better then the ones that do limit the riders weight. All of the above mentioned are great bikes but I would sway away from the ones that have limits.

Oh, and I drive a Audi A6 4.2. Bangle BMW's and Mercedes are just not my style, but give me a M3 (or a S4) any day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Why haven't the German's engineered a carbon bike?
    storck is a german brand and the scott CR-1 is designed and developed by a german engineer as well. and there are high-end componets from germany: schmolke and http://www.thm-carbones.de/english/index.html

Mar 2004

There is no other. .

. bike other than the C50 IMO. Also, BMW's are overpriced sleds unless you're talking the "M" models.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    The only BMWs that you could really compare to these bikes would be something like a Formula BMW Racecar or the BMW-Williams F1 car. Even something like a racing M3 does not match up to the bikes in spirit, because it is a compromise based on a street car.

BMW makes no "race replica" street cars.

None of the bikes mentioned are designed to offer "some" performance while coddling you in luxury. These bikes are all pure performance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by benInMA
    The only BMWs that you could really compare to these bikes would be something like a Formula BMW Racecar or the BMW-Williams F1 car. Even something like a racing M3 does not match up to the bikes in spirit, because it is a compromise based on a street car.

BMW makes no "race replica" street cars.

None of the bikes mentioned are designed to offer "some" performance while coddling you in luxury. These bikes are all pure performance.
    Sure they do...it's called the M3 GTR. Avaiable for only 300K.

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/bmw_m3gtr.asp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Nope. The M3 GTR still has a body shape designed to carry 4-5 people. You would never design a race car from the ground up and have it come out looking like an M3.

Maybe if you are entering a race with a rack or panniers or riding a tandem by yourself in a race you could compare it to a car like that.

All you need to do to agree with me is go watch open wheel race cars back to back with street based race cars like 911s or M3s. The difference is crazy. Our bicycles are the equivalent of the open wheel race cars, we just are so lucky to be able to ride them on the street.

Mar 2004

Porsche Carrara GT

Quote Originally Posted by benInMA
    Our bicycles are the equivalent of the open wheel race cars, we just are so lucky to be able to ride them on the street.
    That's a street/race car if you have a LOT of money!
    ;)