Bought a Synapse Carbon Ultegra Di2 and now realizing that the wheels have been...
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020

Bought a Synapse Carbon Ultegra Di2 and now realizing that the wheels have been...

swapped out with a heavier set of wtb st i19s. Not sure if Fulcrum 600 DBs were better or worse (lighter for sure), but I am conflicted about the fact the bike shop did not disclose the change before selling it to me.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    You've posted on the 'other' forum about this right? Why don't you just ask the shop? Get rid of thousands of middlemen that know nothing about your issue and go straight to the source.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You've posted on the 'other' forum about this right? Why don't you just ask the shop? Get rid of thousands of middlemen that know nothing about your issue and go straight to the source.
    I did ask them and got an answer saying they replaced the wheels with Cannondale supplied warranty replacements which are clearly inferior i.e. the closeout sale was more like a scratch and dent sale and they did not disclose that to me when I was buying it. When you go to an authorized dealer you trust them and don't check part numbers for everything on the bike, but I was wrong, they clearly did not deserve the trust. It certainly could be an honest mistake by them not to mention the repairs/replacement, but that does not matter.

The reason I asked here and the other forum was to find out the facts from an independent 3rd party who knows about these things. It's not like I can run a carfax on the bike and find out about reported accidents/repairs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    unfortunately, many local bike shops, even reputable ones, many many times are operating on mom-n-pop budget & mentality to match, and trying to cut corners are regular occurances. The customers are then left scratching his head about what he should do or how he should think about it. If all LBS were truely honest and upfront to begin with, then these sort of questions wouldn't be asked so much.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mehmetg View Post
    I did ask them and got an answer saying they replaced the wheels with Cannondale supplied warranty replacements which are clearly inferior i.e. the closeout sale was more like a scratch and dent sale and they did not disclose that to me when I was buying it. When you go to an authorized dealer you trust them and don't check part numbers for everything on the bike, but I was wrong, they clearly did not deserve the trust. It certainly could be an honest mistake by them not to mention the repairs/replacement, but that does not matter.

The reason I asked here and the other forum was to find out the facts from an independent 3rd party who knows about these things. It's not like I can run a carfax on the bike and find out about reported accidents/repairs.
    First, I would try to verify the LBS' statement about the supplied wheels with Giant. Maybe the shop is lying.

And if Giant says it's true, then well now you will have a battle on your hand. Who's fault is it now? In this case, the shop may be right in replacing your wheels with whatever Giant gives them. But usually, in warrantly replacement, the manufacturer will give you "equal or better" parts, not inferior parts. If they give you inferior parts, then you have a case against them. It's like buying a Lexus with lightweight alloy wheels, and then you get warranted with cheapass heavy steel wheels. Can you imagine if your local Lexus dealer were to do this.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    swapped out with a heavier set of wtb st i19s. Not sure if Fulcrum 600 DBs were better or worse (lighter for sure), but I am conflicted about the fact the bike shop did not disclose the change before selling it to me.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
    Knowing people who had Fulcrums with issues and the frustration of trying to get any parts, and what they cost in money and time....Be happy you got something else.
    "We are doomed to live in very interesting times"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Knowing people who had Fulcrums with issues and the frustration of trying to get any parts, and what they cost in money and time....Be happy you got something else.
    That may be the case, but they still should have disclosed it. Also, wtb st i19s with no name hubs may not be any better. I can't even tell who to call, if I have issues.

I'll talk to the owner today and see what he says. I am inclined to return the bike and buy another one at full price 13% is not worth buying bike. with questionable parts and warranty issues. I get 10% of from sports basement who have been great with everything I have bought so far.

If they only had disclosed this before I walked out of the shop...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    That may be the case, but they still should have disclosed it. Also, wtb st i19s with no name hubs may not be any better. I can't even tell who to call, if I have issues.

I'll talk to the owner today and see what he says. I am inclined to return the bike and buy another one at full price 13% is not worth buying bike. with questionable parts and warranty issues. I get 10% of from sports basement who have been great with everything I have bought so far.

If they only had disclosed this before I walked out of the shop...
    Wow, a measely 13% discount for a Synnapse and you're going thru all this? Talk about nickle and diming the customer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Wow, a measely 13% discount for a Synnapse and you're going thru all this? Talk about nickle and diming the customer.
    To the LBS's credit the owner was very nice about it and replaced the wheelset with the OEM one. Now I have other issues, but that likely is with the bike itself rather than the wheels.
    On the highest gear the chain pops if I push it too hard. I may have gained more weight than I thought. Anyways he offered to replace the gear set on the bike if his adjustments do not hold.
    Horrible start, but a very good recovery, I'd say. I'll go on my first ride soon and see how things work out.

I figured that if pushed a little they'd admit to it. If the shifting isn't perfect on a new bike the problem is with his mechanics, not the parts. If they can't get Di2 perfect they should find other work.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    I figured that if pushed a little they'd admit to it. If the shifting isn't perfect on a new bike the problem is with his mechanics, not the parts. If they can't get Di2 perfect they should find other work.
    That's good to know. He made it sound like this can happen sometimes as the gears flex under load.

That's good to know. He made it sound like this can happen sometimes as the gears flex under load.
    Gears 'flexing' under load? Uhhhhm, no. Find a real mechanic.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Gears 'flexing' under load? Uhhhhm, no. Find a real mechanic.
    I am looking to switch out the crank with something shorter 165mm, so it would make sense to ask someone who knows what's going on handle that.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    To the LBS's credit the owner was very nice about it .....

...Anyways he offered to replace the gear set on the bike if his adjustments do not hold.
    No amount of niceness compensates for sheer incompetence.

Bike adjustments don't just not 'hold'.

I wouldn't let those hacks near my bikes. They're either incompetent. Not good.
    Or feeding you bull$#it. Not good.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    No amount of niceness compensates for sheer incompetence.

Bike adjustments don't just not 'hold'.

I wouldn't let those hacks near my bikes. They're either incompetent. Not good.
    Or feeding you bull$#it. Not good.
    I am not that knowledgeable with bikes so good to hear feedback, here.
    Also the custom mounts are really cool. --> https://www.shapeways.com/shops/tlgpa

Neophyte
    Love Shapeways, has served me well.

Although I don't own a bike with it, agree with other folks, Di2 on new bike shouldn't be hard to get adjusted. Even though this bike might have come with a couple free tune-ups, you might want to take it to another place to get it adjusted.
    Last edited by jetdog9; 09-25-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Huh???? Nope.

Find a different shop.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.