Caad 4 vs. Caad 8 vs. Six 13????? vs. caad 7??
    RoadBikeReview Member

Caad 4 vs. Caad 8 vs. Six 13????? vs. caad 7??

Greetings,

I have at the moment a caad 4 with a 1" columbus muscle fork and record parts. I love the bike but part of me really wants to upgrade the frame to a newer cannondale. I know the head tube will be more stiff, but how do the new frames really compare? What is different from a caad 7 to a caad 8? And is a Six 13 really better? Or is it just hype?
    I Guess what a want is less weight and more comfort. I am only a 144lb climber so I don't care about sprinting stiffness.

Thank you in advance...

xxooo me

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

buy something else..

I'm even lighter at 135 and I wouldn't give C'dales the slightest consideration myself. I've owned three and that was enough for me. Looked a the new Six13 and the finish was awful. There are plenty of other brands out there.

Carbon fiber is the answer, IMO. I really enjoyed my Colnago C-40s but I like the geometry of my Look frames better (quicker steering). Haven't found anything better for a fast mountain descent.

Basic Ti would give you the ride you want, but no weight reduction. Personally, I don't care for dull grey bikes.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Gorilla
    Greetings,

I have at the moment a caad 4 with a 1" columbus muscle fork and record parts. I love the bike but part of me really wants to upgrade the frame to a newer cannondale. I know the head tube will be more stiff, but how do the new frames really compare? What is different from a caad 7 to a caad 8? And is a Six 13 really better? Or is it just hype?
    I Guess what a want is less weight and more comfort. I am only a 144lb climber so I don't care about sprinting stiffness.

Thank you in advance...

xxooo me
    The CAAD4 was and still is a pretty good frame (apart from the 1" steerer). Any changes from that are not going to save too much more weight. The CAAD8 is the current lightest Al frame C-Dale offers and is a favorite of the budget racer who likes light stuff crowd. 30 grams less then the CAAD7, due to minor changes. The all carbon (including the tips) fork model is real light- my CAAD7 Team Replica had one.

The first Six13 models were not as light as promised, especially later in the build runs. However, unlike C40 the 5-7 I saw all had very nice build quality. They just were not as light as the CAAD8's. My training partner liked his and raced it last year. Another one teammate has the spiffy DuraAce model and loves it (and races it as well). He crashed it hard to no ill effect (on the bike at least). But the cost premium is a bit much IMHO over the really nice CAAD8 frames.

The new Six13 models are lighter, as they have AL seattube now (although the carbon tubes on the downtube and top tube seem to be bigger (could be my imagination though).
    That saves some weight, as well as the no paint option they have. Finally, the new team bike is the Lampre Team Edition, with the no paint and team stickers. Additionally, it comes with an SRM Professional powermeter built into the SI Hollowgram crankset (super extra spiffy, and crazy expensive! I love it!!). As I have been training (and getting my coaching) based on power meter centered training- this is the best thing since sliced bread. I have one on order, even though I like my Orbea Orca.

So much for self-control. But in any event, I like how Cannondales ride, like the company and have had excellent luck in my dealings with them. However, their are tons of other fun bikes to be had too, so look around at see what floats your boat. If weight isn't a huge concern the full carbon Orbea Onix frame and fork may be a fun option to try.

Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

One bad apple

Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    Looked a the new Six13 and the finish was awful.
    I've never been a big fan of 'Dales until the Six13 came along. While they may be overpriced, they have received great reviews. The finish on mine is flawless and my friend's Saeco team replica is a thing of beauty. Like all team replicas, they are covered in decals, but you can't expect otherwise. IMHO the Six13 does just what it's hyped to do, provide a smoother CAAD-like ride. IME it rides like a cross between a CAAD 7 and a Giant TCR. I'm not sure why you would dissuade people from checking out the Six13 based upon one observation at your LBS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    I'm even lighter at 135 and I wouldn't give C'dales the slightest consideration myself. I've owned three and that was enough for me. Looked a the new Six13 and the finish was awful. There are plenty of other brands out there.

Carbon fiber is the answer, IMO. I really enjoyed my Colnago C-40s but I like the geometry of my Look frames better (quicker steering). Haven't found anything better for a fast mountain descent.

Basic Ti would give you the ride you want, but no weight reduction. Personally, I don't care for dull grey bikes.
    Wow c-40 you are a real help!!

I just called my cannondale dealer, a caad 8 frame set is $1600!!! A r900 bike with a caad 8 frame is $1600...What is going on???
    I'll get one on e-bay...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

3 to Optimo

Can only speak to my experience on Cdale frames had a 2000 CAAD 3 - fast but hard as rock - bone shattering. Just picked up good deal on an as new 04 R3000 Optimo. Frame is great , compliant and yes even smooth. I am 240Lbs and the BB is super stiff ( this could be in great part to the D'ACE 7800 crank). I have a ti bike , an older carbon and a couple of steel bikes and can not believe how far alluminum has come in just a few years. I do not know how much an improvement a CAAD 4 to a 3 is but if the 8 is noticably better than the Optimo besides a few grams lighter - you will be thrilled. Try to test one out - beacause talk is talk. Hope this helps!

RoadBikeReview Member

I Can't Tell the Difference

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Gorilla
    Greetings,

Thank you in advance...

xxooo me
    FWIW, I have ridden a 2002 CAAD5 for three years, and just built up a CAAD8 Optimo. I have about 600 miles on the newer bike - and can't tell any difference in ride quality between the two (though the wheelsets are different, which adds some uncertainty to the comparison). But then again, I have never had any problem whatsoever with the ride comfort of the CAAD5, and I ride a lot of long miles.