CAAD10 105 Vs TCR 0 Ultegra
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

CAAD10 105 Vs TCR 0 Ultegra

Hi guys

been watching the forum for a while and this is my first post.
    Have an enviable choice to make but simply cannot decide

After discussions with LBS and trawling the web I've decided to stick with Alloy rather than cheap carbon and have narrowed my choice down to 2 great bikes from two different local shops.

The Cannondale CAAD10 with 105 groupset &
    The Giant TCR 0 with Ultegra groupset

Both are the same price as the TCR is reduced
    I've read great things about the CAAD 10 frame but I'm tempted by the Ultegra groupset on the TCR

Both look incredible so cant decide on the bling test.

Any advice or experience with the two bikes to help me decide would be most welcome. I'm hoping to buy this week.

Currently riding an old road bike with Sora so either will be a huge step up in every possible way

Thanks
    Bryan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    First, have you got a chance to ride each? I have a TCR, my first bike. Having said that as an al frame set, you can't get any better than the Caad 10. Ultegra is not all that special, so ride the 105 for a while, then upgrade the grouppo to either dura ace or red or even force. just my opinion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I'd say only go for Ultegra is it's a tie on the frame and wheels.
    But first and foremost make your choice based on the frame. If the frame fits and feels the same.....then sure get the lighter and higher end groupset.

The Giant does win hands down on parts though (although I'm not familiar with either wheel). The CAAD 10 doesn't really have a 105 "groupset". The crank and brakes are a step below. The Giant, on the other hand, really does have an Ultegra "groupset". Still, I'd say make the choice based on frame fit and feel.....but if that's a tie definitely the Giant. Double check what I said about Specs though.

Good luck. As long as you get a good fit you can't go wrong with either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I can get a good long test ride of the CAAD and tbh i much prefer the LBS selling the CAAD
    for the TCR I'll get a quick once round the block but nothing more than a few minutes at best

I think I'm swaying towards the CAAD at the moment
    I've had a shot of my son's Tarmac with 105 and was very impressed but assumed the Ultegra would be even better so thanks for your post it is interesting that you don't think Ultegra is so much better and as you say I can upgrade when necessary knowing I've got the best alu frame available

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Hi Hank thanks… now you've gone and confused me again haha
    But yeah the fit of the frame is the most important thing I've sat on both but not ridden either yet hopefully doing that on Friday and will choose there and then
    Yeah the crank is not 105 not sure about the brakes though I think they were 105
    as you say the higher groupset is the one thing turning my eye from the CAAD if it was same spec I'd go CAAD to be honest

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadicbry
    Hi Hank thanks… now you've gone and confused me again hahaBut yeah the fit of the frame is the most important thing I've sat on both but not ridden either yet hopefully doing that on Friday and will choose there and then
    Yeah the crank is not 105 not sure about the brakes though I think they were 105
    as you say the higher groupset is the one thing turning my eye from the CAAD if it was same spec I'd go CAAD to be honest
    Sorry not intented to throw in a monkey wrench. In summary what I'm trying to say is the Giant does win on 'groupset' but I'd only consider that if a tie breaker on the frames is needed.

Functionally, 105 and Ultegra are pretty much the same thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Cheers I have to admit I'm struggling not to fall on the side of CAAD and unless the test ride throws a wobbler and it just doesn't work for me then I'll be riding it home

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadicbry
    Cheers I have to admit I'm struggling not to fall on the side of CAAD and unless the test ride throws a wobbler and it just doesn't work for me then I'll be riding it home
    It sounds like you already know what you want. Go with the CAAD10, the new 105 is awesome, and that frameset is incredible. Parts that you hang on the frame can be changed, but the frame choice is most important to me. Also since you prefer that LBS, that just makes it even better.
    Cannondale CAAD9 Campagnolo Record 11 Hollowgram SISL cranks Mavic Ksyrium SL's
    Cannondale SuperX Ultegra Stan's No Tubes Alpha 340 Team Wheelset

"...if it hurts me, it must hurt the other ones twice as much. They are only human. They cannot go faster than you.” - Jens Voigt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    The ride on the TCR is much smoother on rough roads. It may be better if you plan on taking long rides. The CAAD is argueably the best aluminum frame out there.

I went from a CAAD 9 to a TCR Advanced and have to say they are both amazing.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I'm kind of in the same boat as far as which bike to go with; the CAAD10 or the TCR. I've ridden both bikes the same amount of time and the CAAD10 is the one that makes me smile the most but with so many opinions saying that for longer rides carbon is the way to go I just don't know. I just feel like the ride on the CAAD10 is faster and more responsive and I'm sure the TCR is just as fast and responsive but in the couple of miles I got to ride each it didn't feel that way. I guess that is just the carbon damping the road feel making it seem mellower?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    FWIW, I frequently do 140-200km rides on my CAAD10 and have zero complaints about comfort. The S.A.V.E System isn't just marketing. Get the CAAD10!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrr View Post
    I'm kind of in the same boat as far as which bike to go with; the CAAD10 or the TCR. I've ridden both bikes the same amount of time and the CAAD10 is the one that makes me smile the most but with so many opinions saying that for longer rides carbon is the way to go I just don't know. I just feel like the ride on the CAAD10 is faster and more responsive and I'm sure the TCR is just as fast and responsive but in the couple of miles I got to ride each it didn't feel that way. I guess that is just the carbon damping the road feel making it seem mellower?
    Could be a factor but its more likely the more responsive handling. When steering is more responsive things are happening quicker and it gives the sensation you're going faster. Your definitely not going any faster though unless the fits are different, which is definitely a possibility too.