can i fix the crack on my carbon seatstay
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002

can i fix the crack on my carbon seatstay

someone crashed into me in a race and cracked my seatstay.its not all the way around the stay but i was wondering if there is anything i can do like a fiberglass or carbon wrap to fix it?anyone have experience in that?i already tried to get crash replacement and got shutdown.thanks for your help in advance.

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    You can't. Calfee probably can.

RoadBikeReview Member

Mr_Snips
    Jun 2006
    Calfee will do it. My coach just got his mtb back from them after punching a hole in the seat stay with a rock at nationals. It looks amazing. And if you wanted they could even stiffen your frame up while there at it.
    "If I was worried about 90 grams, I'd stop eating donuts in the morning,"~Bobby Julich

Banned forever.....or not
    If it is just a small crack, and if you are as cheap as I am, you might try to repair it with some fiberglass resin and hardener. Dab some on (or into if possible), and wrap it a layer of normal plastic wrap from your kitchen. With the plastic wrap, you can smooth it out, and not get it on your fingers. You can remove the plastic wrap after 15 to 20 minutes, and let the bike sit overnight. Sand with very fine sandpaper. If it cracks after this treatment, use the "last resort" method.
    This method works fine on fiberglass cars.
    You might also want to buy a very small amount of the fiberglass cloth, and pull some fibers out, to add to the resin and hardener.
    You could always add an actual layer of the fiberglass over the crack, but this will stand out like a sore thumb. ( Use this last method as a last resort)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

n00bsauce
    Grumps, while you're usually spot on with most of your comments I think this one is a half a bubble off plumb. Don't try this at home. Leave it to the professionals like Calfee. A fiberglas wrap is a dangerous fix in this situation.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    You might also want to buy a very small amount of the fiberglass cloth, and pull some fibers out, to add to the resin and hardener.
    This works for the whitewater canoe paddle I built, and it gets smashed around by rocks and the like (I'm not an amazing whitewater paddler). The paddle is hard wood (can't remember exact kind) with three layers of fiberglass cloth each layer coated with epoxy then varnish on top, you can hardly tell that its there unless you look real close.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    Grumps, while you're usually spot on with most of your comments I think this one is a half a bubble off plumb. Don't try this at home. Leave it to the professionals like Calfee. A fiberglas wrap is a dangerous fix in this situation.

agreed. this isnt a classic car, or a paddle, or fiberglass, or wood. while slightly similar in construction, fiberglass and carbon fiber are not interchangeable. get it fixed by someone who knows what they are doing.