Cannondale CaadX 105 or Fuji Cross 1.3 disc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010

Cannondale CaadX 105 or Fuji Cross 1.3 disc

In my neck of the woods (ocean) I can't demo either. Both are "special" order.

Intended use is 100% road. I want a cross bike so I can fit the larger tires for a better ride over the crap I have to ride on.

The 2016 CaadX 105 is $1630 out the door. LBS is in town and I've bought several bikes and some accessories from there. Service is good.

The 2016 Fuji Cross 1.3 would cost me $1485 out the door. LBS is on the other side of the island (90 miles on way). They have a good reputation. They are mainly a road/tri shop since they're in Kona.

Just based on the geometry the Fuji size small (50) would be a better fit. The geometry on the Cannondale seems to put me in between sizes. The 48 would have the seat up higher than I might like (470mm seat tube).

The Cannondale 51 has a 500mm seat tube same as the Fuji but the stand over height is nearly and inch more at nearly 31". I'm just over 5'6".

The Fuji is a little more stretched out than the Cannondale with a longer reach and shorter stack, which I find appealing.

CaadX 47 50 Fuji 50
    TT 525 535 525
    Reach 374 376 385
    Stack 525 541 524
    Stand
    Over 762 785 761

Is either Rival or 105 better than the other? Neither is a full group. Both use off brand or in house brand cranks, hubs and brakes. Just brifters, derailleurs and cassettes are name brand.

Is the Cannondale frame better? BB30 versus BB86?

Cannondale comes with platform pedals and toe clips, the Fuji, no pedals. I would be fine with the platform pedals for awhile. That adds another $50 or so to the price of the Fuji for some cheap SPD stuff.

The tires on the Cannondale , Schwalbe Sammy Slicks, would work fine for the road and wouldn't need to be replaced right away. The Fuji comes with fairly aggressive tires and would likely need to be changed out fairly quickly. Another $70 or so.

Listed weight for both bikes is withing a few ounces of each other.
    So the actual price would be pretty close to the same and of course there's the issue of drive time and gas.

So not being able to demo either makes it really hard to choose. I know fit should be the most important factor it's just I can't say for sure that either of the Cannondales would not fit.

Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    SRAM Rival is not a brifter. It is a double tap unique to SRAM groupo. It is wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. That said, buy local bro. If you need adjustments, stuff, advice, you name it, you don't want to be and hour and a half from your LBS. you will wind up being a regular at the one near you anyway, so just buy their bike. The differences are really minor anyway,you can't be in between sizes in my (very limited) opinion, they will set up the bike to fit you. Don't over think that.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    SRAM Rival is not a brifter. It is a double tap unique to SRAM groupo. It is wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. That said, buy local bro. If you need adjustments, stuff, advice, you name it, you don't want to be and hour and a half from your LBS. you will wind up being a regular at the one near you anyway, so just buy their bike. The differences are really minor anyway,you can't be in between sizes in my (very limited) opinion, they will set up the bike to fit you. Don't over think that.
    Thanks.

So which size Cannondale would be the best place to start? Start small or big? I'm pretty sure the stand over height on the 51 is close to being past max.