Can't decide. 2014 Roubaix vs 2014 Synapse
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013

Can't decide. 2014 Roubaix vs 2014 Synapse

Iím in the market for a new road bike Iíve narrowed my choices down to the 2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Elite 105 and the 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4. Iíve ridden both bikes and feel equally comfortable on both. The Roubaix is full Shimano 105 while the Synapse is full Rival. Iím aware of the difference in shifting but Iím upgrading from a hybrid so I donít have a preference either way. Iím looking for any type of feedback from anyone that has experience with either bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    You really can't go wrong with either. You also hit on the key issues which are comfort and component preference. Best thing to do is to see if you can get a little more saddle time in each and focus on those differences. There is no way than anyone can make a real argument that one of those bikes is better than the other.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I was going to get a roubaix. I have test rode them several times. I then bought the new synapse hype. I rode a 105. To me the hype is well deserved. It handled good. climbed good and accelerated fast like the race geo bike I had. It just cruised effortlessly down the road. I also prefer sram so for me it would be a no brainer. I don know which one I'm going to get yet. I want to get a 105 and put force 22 on it but I might settle for ultegra 11. It depends on what I can work out with my lbs
    Last edited by ksauers; 10-03-2013 at 02:01 PM.
    Cannondale Synapse 2014 61cm Force 22

I just started riding and I can't believe I want to spend that much.............................................. ..................

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    People get all religious when it comes to components. Everyone has their church. That said I've used Shimano for all my adult life and they've always been reliable. I don't always hear that about SRAM. Campy is also very respectable but not usually an option for your segment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2013
    I took a 2014 Hi Mod Synapse SRAM Red on a long test ride when some dealers had demo days. I really liked that bike; comfortable but responsive. That day was the 1st time I got to try SRAM double tap. It shifted nicely; about the same as the Ultegra on my 2013 Scott CR1 Pro. But I prefer Shimano's style. Big lever, big ring - small lever, small ring. Very intuitive. Also, when you reach the ends of your cassette; the chain just stops. With SRAM; you start going the other way.

2014_CANNONDALE_SYNAPSE_DEMO_BIKE[1] by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    And the plot thickens. Swung by the Giant dealer at lunch. They have a 2013 Giant Advanced Defy 1 with Ultregra for a little bit more than the Roubaix and Synapse. Taking it out for a test ride on Friday.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFan View Post
    And the plot thickens. Swung by the Giant dealer at lunch. They have a 2013 Giant Advanced Defy 1 with Ultregra for a little bit more than the Roubaix and Synapse. Taking it out for a test ride on Friday.
    Awesome, i was looking at all of those bikes. Ended up with a Trek Domane. Never thought I would like a vanilla plain Trek. Do yourself a favor and check it out if you can. Those are all great bikes. The choice is tough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Awesome, i was looking at all of those bikes. Ended up with a Trek Domane. Never thought I would like a vanilla plain Trek. Do yourself a favor and check it out if you can. Those are all great bikes. The choice is tough.
    My plan was to include the Domane in my choices but Trek decided to drop the 4.5 (the one I was looking at) from their US product line this year and I hate the color of the 4.7. I could go with the 4.3 but was looking for something with a little more high end components and internal cable routing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have you tried to spec out a Project 1 Domane in the 4 series? I'm thinking you could get a frame in the color you want, with full 105 and better wheels than the 4.3, for close to the price of the 4.7.

I just ran it with 105, the Race wheel set, and the cheapest available bars. About a $250 difference. That's MSRP to MSRP. You can order a P1 though the shop and they may save you something.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mpre53 View Post
    Have you tried to spec out a Project 1 Domane in the 4 series? I'm thinking you could get a frame in the color you want, with full 105 and better wheels than the 4.3, for close to the price of the 4.7.

I just ran it with 105, the Race wheel set, and the cheapest available bars. About a $250 difference. That's MSRP to MSRP. You can order a P1 though the shop and they may save you something.
    I did look at the Project 1 bike but I need to try and stay around 2700.00ish. I wish they offered the P1 bikes without the signature paint jobs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I was able to get the 2014 5.2 Domane for $3k.

It has internal cables, full ultegra 11speed, better seat post and carbon as well.
    Last edited by ccoppola; 10-08-2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Added features

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ccoppola View Post
    I was able to get the 2014 5.2 Domane for $3k.

It has internal cables, full ultegra 11speed, better seat post and carbon as well.
    I would jump all over a 5.2 at that price. Was it on sale?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    No, I was originally was gonna get the 4.7 but told the guy I don't care for the color, that if he could give me a killer deal on the 5.2 I would buy it ASAP.

so he said ok

i also get lifetime minor tune-ups also!

i live in California

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFan View Post
    I did look at the Project 1 bike but I need to try and stay around 2700.00ish. I wish they offered the P1 bikes without the signature paint jobs.
    $2700? You might be able to haggle the dealer down to that on the Roubaix SL 4 Comp. MSRP is $2950. 11 speed Ultegra, except for the FSA crank--which the Synapse with Rival also has. One extra mid-range cog on an 11-32 cassette might be nice to have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ccoppola View Post
    No, I was originally was gonna get the 4.7 but told the guy I don't care for the color, that if he could give me a killer deal on the 5.2 I would buy it ASAP.

so he said ok

i also get lifetime minor tune-ups also!

i live in California
    Congratulations !!!
    I would definitely go for that deal myself. That's just what I will be looking for, between now and spring 2014.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    All of these bikes are great and pretty similar. It will likely come down to the subtleties as mentioned before. If you want to get away from the more common brands, I recommend checking out these four:

Devinci Leo SL

DEVINCI

Devinci LEO SL-Ultegra 6800

Felt Z3

Z3 - Felt Bicycles

BMC Gran Fondo 105

BMC Grandfondo GF01 105 Bike | R&A Cycles

Scott Solace

Scott Solace 10 ? first ride review - BikeRadar
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    And if you are into really different (but still endurance geometry), then there's this:

Look 675 Shimano Ultegra 6700 2013 Bike

Look 675 | Bike Reviews | Cycling Weekly

S-Works Tarmac SL3
    I like the Roubaix but, any of the big four are great bikes (Roubaix, Defy, Synapse or Domane).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    All awesome bikes!
    I saw a mention of color preference. In my book, pick the bike that says 'ride me!'
    The color might be the difference here, as the ride might be as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    War vet forced to change bike shop?s name after threat from Specialized | Calgary Herald

Specialized are pricks, they spend more on lawyers than R&D, even though the above was resolved (only because Spec got schooled on the law) it was their usual tactics, as a company I do not believe their ideals are worth supporting in anyway.

Jedi Master
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sp3000 View Post
    War vet forced to change bike shop?s name after threat from Specialized | Calgary Herald

Specialized are pricks, they spend more on lawyers than R&D, even though the above was resolved (only because Spec got schooled on the law) it was their usual tactics, as a company I do not believe their ideals are worth supporting in anyway.
    Get over it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    All of these bikes are great and pretty similar. It will likely come down to the subtleties as mentioned before. If you want to get away from the more common brands, I recommend checking out these four:

Devinci Leo SL

DEVINCI

Devinci LEO SL-Ultegra 6800

Felt Z3

Z3 - Felt Bicycles

BMC Gran Fondo 105

BMC Grandfondo GF01 105 Bike | R&A Cycles

Scott Solace

Scott Solace 10 ? first ride review - BikeRadar
    I love my Devinci leo sl ultegra 2013, just wanna say.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2013
    Rather than start another which bike is best thread . . . Looking at the same bikes as the OP but I am leaning more towards a Felt Z3 or Z5. Still some shops around that have 2013 models on clearance at about 600 of MSRP which is tempting. I have not found a bunch of reviews and feedback on the ride quality of Z3 so I was wondering how the bike soaks up rough road and bumps compared to other bikes previously listed in this thread.

Yeah I know go ride the bikes . . . just starting to do research right now and trying to make a shorter list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy G View Post
    Rather than start another which bike is best thread . . . Looking at the same bikes as the OP but I am leaning more towards a Felt Z3 or Z5. Still some shops around that have 2013 models on clearance at about 600 of MSRP which is tempting. I have not found a bunch of reviews and feedback on the ride quality of Z3 so I was wondering how the bike soaks up rough road and bumps compared to other bikes previously listed in this thread.

Yeah I know go ride the bikes . . . just starting to do research right now and trying to make a shorter list.
    The Z3 from 2013 has some differences in the bottom bracket area compared to the Z5. I would go with the Z3 if you settle on Felt and it fits the budget. The current Z4 and Z5 might be different. You are probably splitting hairs amongst these bikes. Felt gets less coverage than the other two, but they all will likely ride pretty similar for most of us. If I had to rank based on what I have experienced from tests and what I have read, I would rank them like this for performance only based on my interests and riding style(assuming you are talking about similarly spec'd bikes). For what it's worth, it really all does come down to the fit and test ride though:

1. Synapse
    2. Roubaix
    3. Z Series

Felt's pricing generally bumps them to the top of lists like this for me because of value as they are all good bikes. You might want to check out the Devinci Leo SL as well. Colnago, Scott, and Bianchi also have some pretty cool endurance frames out right now that some folks are overlooking and then there's always the BMC Granfondo GF01 which a lot of people love.

Here's some reviews of the Felt Z Series:

2013 Felt Z2 Road Bike Review ę MVP Cycle Center

Felt Z2 Road Bike Review | Road Cycling UK

First ride: Felt?s new Z2 carbon road bike with Di2 | Bicycle Times Magazine

Felt Z2 ? first ride review?. | Performance Cycles, Poulton

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/fel...ce-310626.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for a response. I had seen those reviews but it was my understanding that the Z2 frame was different than the Z3-Z5 series. The Z3 has a different fork than the Z5.

Also looking at a Trek Domane 4.5 (2013) which is the same price as the 2013 Felt Z3. The Domane seems to get overwhelming praise for its ability to smooth out the ride which has me interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast