Carbon Steerer + Compression Plug
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

Carbon Steerer + Compression Plug

I have a compression plug sitting in my carbon steerer. I was/am constantly getting play in my headset until I realized what was happening...

The compression plug that the top cap screws into (like a reynolds compression plug) was slipping and when tightening the top cap was actually pulling the plug towards the cap...thus never really compressing the fork into the frame.

Have others had similar issues or know of any good solutions (beyond epoxying?)
    .nathan.

rock n rolling resistance

U need to...

Quote Originally Posted by nathasm
    I have a compression plug sitting in my carbon steerer. I was/am constantly getting play in my headset until I realized what was happening...

The compression plug that the top cap screws into (like a reynolds compression plug) was slipping and when tightening the top cap was actually pulling the plug towards the cap...thus never really compressing the fork into the frame.

Have others had similar issues or know of any good solutions (beyond epoxying?)
    .nathan.
    turn the expander bolt (which should be separate from top cap bolt...look carefully) to expand the compression plug tight enough that it doesn't move when you screw the top cap down.

Although this is for FSA and Problem Solver plug it should help explain:

http://www.salsacycles.com/pdf/SalsaCarbonSteerer.pdf
    “nobody hears about dick cheney having an existential crisis.” - MKUltra3

RoadBikeReview Member

correct. and look carefully

The expander bolt should be right under the topcap bolt but typically takes a smaller wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by 6was9
    turn the expander bolt (which should be separate from top cap bolt...look carefully) to expand the compression plug tight enough that it doesn't move when you screw the top cap down.

Although this is for FSA and Problem Solver plug it should help explain:

http://www.salsacycles.com/pdf/SalsaCarbonSteerer.pdf

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I experienced the same problem as you a few days ago. The expander bolt actually takes a larger wrench (mine was 6mm). I torqued down on it tightly, but the whole unit plug/bolt/etc. turned together, thus slipping inside the steerer. When tightening the headset bolt, the plug was still pulled out of the steerer. So, to solve my woes, I resorted to the same trick I use with my carbon seatposts--hairspray. I put a spat inside the steerer and on the plug, waited a bit for the excess to dry and for both pieces to become tacky, inserted the plug, torqued down the bolt, and no more slippage. Problem solved.
    ________
    Mazda f3a transmission specifications
    Last edited by filly; 02-11-2011 at 05:11 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member

Don't tell your wife about it.

Or next thing you know, her hair care products comes out of your bike budget.

Quote Originally Posted by filly
    I experienced the same problem as you a few days ago. The expander bolt actually takes a larger wrench (mine was 6mm). I torqued down on it tightly, but the whole unit plug/bolt/etc. turned together, thus slipping inside the steerer. When tightening the headset bolt, the plug was still pulled out of the steerer. So, to solve my woes, I resorted to the same trick I use with my carbon seatposts--hairspray. I put a spat inside the steerer and on the plug, waited a bit for the excess to dry and for both pieces to become tacky, inserted the plug, torqued down the bolt, and no more slippage. Problem solved.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Yeah, I know, especially when I was looking for that lunchlady special brand, AquaNet, and all my wife had was some Paul Mitchell stuff.
    ________
    Suzuki Rg150
    Last edited by filly; 02-11-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Apr 2002

Watch Compression Plug Position in Steerer

I had a similar problem and after twice retensioning the headset I realized that I was not making sure to position the compression plug where the stem was around the CF steerer. I had not cut down the steerer yet and was lowering the stem and trying out succesively lower bar position prior to cutting it down. I was not getting the compression plug positioned inside the stem clamping area and the results was that the stem would eventually slip when I took a big shock to the forks.

Once the compression plug is inside the stem clamping area it's easier to really tighten the compression plug so that it stayed in place and then could get the stem clamped tight enough to hold even when taking large shocks on the forks.

Luckily I didn't crack my steerer before I figured out what was going on...