Cervelo R3/R3-SL flex
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006

Cervelo R3/R3-SL flex

Hi all,

Can I have some of the big guys chime in here that ride a 61cm R3 or R3-SL frames tell me if there is any frame flex for the larger frame. I am in two worlds between Cannondale and Cervelo.

cheers

Ralph

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    check testrider.com's review. I don't think these frames flex at all

Jul 2008
    6'4", 225lbs checking in - no flex at all from my R3, even when climbing the nastiest of hills.

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee
    6'4", 225lbs checking in - no flex at all from my R3, even when climbing the nastiest of hills.
    same here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I'm all of 143 lbs and I can feel my 56cm R3 flexing when I'm standing on a steep hill.

But it's stiffer than other frames I have, and in any case I don't think that frame flex "wastes" energy or slows one down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That sounds like the ultimate cycling oxymoron.
    All I said was that our son, the apple of our three eyes, Martha being a cyclops, our son is a beanbag, and you get testy!

Jul 2008
    Just came in from a ride on one of my loops with a lot of significant climbs. On one climb in particular, I was slipping the back wheel while climbing (out of the saddle); I had to shift my stance back a bit to keep the wheel planted. I could feel no flex at all; the bike was dead silent (other than the tire slipping noise). I'm not sure how anyone could detect flex from the R3, especially when it's ranked so high for rigidity. It does have awesome vertical compliance, but lateral? None that I can detect.

sayhellotomylittlefriend
    The R3 is a beautiful bike, an engineering benchmark, but its uncompromising rear-end stiffness is why i didn't buy one, after 2 hours my ass felt so beaten and sore I could hardly pedal. Make sure thats what you want, other than racing I don't see the need for such extreme rigidity, I think I go faster and longer if I'm comfortable than if the frame flexes .01 mm. But thats just me.