Cervelo R3 vs. Scott Solace vs. Scott Foil 20
    yhc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2014

Cervelo R3 vs. Scott Solace vs. Scott Foil 20

Good morning,

I am new to road biking and am in the market for a new bike. I am considering commuting (25 miles r/t) with it and occasionally ride longer recreational trips on weekends. I have narrowed down my choices which are as follows:

Cervelo R3 w/ 2014 Frame w/ 105 components (~ $ 2030)
    Cervelo R3 w/ 2013 Frame w/ 105 components (~ $ 1800)
    Scott Solace 30 w/ 105 components ($ 1900)
    Scott Foil 20 w/ 105 components ($ 2290)

I am also thinking about Orbea Orca B M30 w/ Ultegra components for $2300 but this one will have to be ordered sight unseen w/o a test drive since I do not have an Orbea dealer near by.

Other than that I have test ridden all EXCEPT Foil, which I will try to test drive by this weekend. Any thoughts on these options? Thanks in advance for your time and input.

Regards,

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Have not ridden anything but the R3 and I love it.. You will not be disappointed with the ride. I commute one way 28 miles and have had zero issues.. Look into the other bikes and see what you like, I would go for the 2014 R3, its is always a top 5 choice in any review written..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I've ridden the R3 and the Solace and I really liked both of them but I would maybe lean toward the Solace.

Curious as to how you came down to this selection because there are a ton of bikes that are in this category (Domane, Roubaix, Synapse, Felt 'Z' series and many others).

From what I understand Cervelo improved the R3 for 2014 so I'd definitely go that way if you wanted the R3. From what I know about the Foil I don't think it would be a good fit for your needs, but that is why you test ride!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Those are three somewhat different bikes ... the one that fits the description of your riding would be the Solace 30. It's a bit more laid back and has a better ride than the others.

With that said ... I own a Foil and absolutely love it. I'd say it's the best bike I've ever owned and does everything well. I read a lot about the Foil having a harsh ride, but I've found it to be quite pleasant compared to other bikes, especially aero bikes. I test road a Venge and it felt like my teeth were about to be rattled out of my head as comparison.

In the end ... buy the one that fits and rides the best to you. If a bike is uncomfortable, you won't ride it and that defeats the purpose of owning a bike
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

yhc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems like I can't go wrong with any of these bikes as long as one fits me.

One update on the list of my options is that Cervelo R3 w/ 2014 frame and 105 components does not exist. The dealer I was speaking to was mistaken and confused it with the new R2. As it is a new bike the price is actually $2500 (MSRP) rather than $2030.

So the list is amended as follows:

Cervelo R3 w/ 2013 Frame w/ 105 components (~ $ 1800)
    Cervelo R2 w/ 2014 Frame w/ 105 5800 components (~ $ 2500)
    Scott Solace 30 w/ 105 components ($ 1900)
    Scott Foil 20 w/ 105 components ($ 2290)

I would love to jump into 2014 frame R3 but it is only offered w/ Ultegra. It is tempting but as a beginner I am thinking that might be a bit "too much" of a bike for me.

Perhaps the Solace 30 I test drove wasn't quite tuned right...it felt good but it just did not "sing" to me. Whereas the R3 w/ Ultegra components I rode felt VERY nice. I did also ride on a 2013 Madone 4.5 w/ Ultegra (offered at $2000) and thought it was very responsive as well.

For now I am leaning towards R3 w/ 2013 frame w/ 105 components but I will see how Foil feels. Though the new R2 offering is interesting I will have to research a bit more.

The hunt continues.... Meanwhile if you have any other thoughts/opinions please let me know.

Regards,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I'm pretty sure the folks over in the Cervelo board would know exactly the difference between the 2013 / 2014 R2 / R3 frames and forks, but the R2 does look like a great deal.

If it wasn't a love connection with the Solace you can scratch that off the list!

You probably know this already, but the 2015 models are just coming out and they should be (or will be) at the dealers soon. Don't know where you live at but since you looked at a Madone you could also do a sweep thru the other local dealers and take a look at the usual suspects (Roubaix, Domane, Synapse, Defy, etc;) Since you're new to biking make sure that you choose a dealer that you feel comfortable with as well as a bike you love.

And most importantly, have fun!

yhc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for the reply UpHillCrawler. I will post a question in Cervelo forum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by UpHillCrawler View Post
    I've ridden the R3 and the Solace and I really liked both of them but I would maybe lean toward the Solace.
    Can you elaborate on why you liked the Solace more?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NW-Rider View Post
    Can you elaborate on why you liked the Solace more?
    They were both very even but since the Solace was a better deal (at least the model I was looking at) I gave the edge to the Scott. Ironically enough I looked for months and couldn't get the Solace model I wanted in the size I needed and I ended up buying a Cervelo R2. I've had the R2 for almost 6 months and really like it. For the money, that and the Trek Emonda SL5 are 2 of the best buys in cycling (IMO)...