Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 6.0 - Page 114
Page 114 of 218 FirstFirst ... 112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 2,826 to 2,850 of 5450
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Is the sadle moving around in the clamp or is it the clamp that moves around on de seatpost?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    The actual problem i have is the allen head on the shoulder bolt is shallow, not very well made, and appears to be softer metal than you would typically expect on a bold that needs pretty good tourque. So the allen wrench has stripped both bolts that i have and now i can't tighten it enough to ride without the saddle moving. I had already tried the carbon paste but i am convinced at this point the bolts are shot.

I went down to the trek store as the madone clamp is similar. It appears that it will work so ordered one for $20. The downside is i can't get it until later Wednesday. I am hoping this solves my problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Hi all,

I was just wondering, for most of the carbon road bikes here, there is no brake caliper bosses, but just painted carbon. If you were to install the brake caliper, the edged washer will eat into the painted carbon. What do you guys do to remedy this problem?

FYI, I'm using RFM201.

I've attached a picture of an orbea frame with proper brake bosses which is made of aluminium so that the edged teeth of the brake calipers can eat into this instead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0y6zixhfdm...ake%20boss.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mankul View Post
    Hi all,

I was just wondering, for most of the carbon road bikes here, there is no brake caliper bosses, but just painted carbon. If you were to install the brake caliper, the edged washer will eat into the painted carbon. What do you guys do to remedy this problem?

FYI, I'm using RFM201.

I've attached a picture of an orbea frame with proper brake bosses which is made of aluminium so that the edged teeth of the brake calipers can eat into this instead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0y6zixhfdm...ake%20boss.jpg
    I was thinking whether this would work.

Get an aluminium M5 washer(the brake caliper bolt are M5 right?!) and epoxy it to the fork or frame. I wouldn't bother to sand the paint and clear coat off, too lazy and it will end up with a messy finish.

Then use the serrated washer with the brake calipers as usual.

In this way, the serrated washer will eat into the epoxied aluminium washer and prevent the brake calipers from rotating.

Any comments?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    I bought an FM-028 from Dengfu about a year ago. Recently a crack has appeared on the drive side seat stay - a picture is at imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/p1020067o.jpg

I emailed Dengfu and they've replied

Nice day!!

about the line on the frame,it is not carbon crack, it is the connection place,due to the glue hasn't flat,so it will be has a line after you ride long time.but it is not influence the quality.we have some customer show me about this point,but they keep ride.there has no problem for it.
    you can send it back to us,then we can repair it for you if you worry about it .
    Not sure what "the glue hasn't flat" means.

My question here is whether someone else with an unpainted version of this frame can confirm that this is where the seat stay is joined to the chain stay, also whether anyone has a view on their opinion that it's not a problem

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff56 View Post
    I bought an FM-028 from Dengfu about a year ago. Recently a crack has appeared on the drive side seat stay - a picture is at imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/p1020067o.jpg

I emailed Dengfu and they've replied

Not sure what "the glue hasn't flat" means.

My question here is whether someone else with an unpainted version of this frame can confirm that this is where the seat stay is joined to the chain stay, also whether anyone has a view on their opinion that it's not a problem
    Mine is unpainted but they appear to have painted those areas black. Probably to cover the imperfections. If I get the light just right, I see what could be the joint. Take a close look at your non drive side and see if there is anything in the corresponding location.
    I have had my 028 for a little over a year and don't see anything that looks like a crack.
    Don't mind me, it's just the online disinhibition effect typing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    I would never again go near a Chinese carbon manufacturer; LEAST of all through Alibaba. If you check out AliExpress Facebook page, its a littany of people demanding to know where their goods are, where their refunds are, and if you sift through them, people who have had their carbon bikes break while riding.
    I took 3 carbon frames from Xiamen Yishun, through AliExpress. The first was so badly manufactured that it didnt steer, the breaks couldnt be fitted, and the one piece carbon stem and bar set wouldnt tighten. This piece of crap was sent back, to be replaced with a frame which snapped in under an hour.
    Emails to Yishun after that met with abuse and anger. Presumably for being stupid enough to buy from them in the first place. Now carbon frames from real manufacturers are comming down in price, there is no longer a need to throw your money down the toilet on cheap Chinese junk. Face it, they bloody hate us and revel in a chance to take us for a ride - if only financially.
    I hate to think what wheels from China are like. At least when a frame splits, you have enough warning to stop yourself falling under traffic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
    at that price point you're paying a lot for a no-name frame

the base CF specicalized bikes, or neuvation, or many other options from real bike makers are available in that price range
    The dude is right; get a proper frame from established manufacturers. Ask yourself this - if a bike breaks and you die, who is legally liable?
    If your ghost could take the manufacturers to court, do you think some shady factory in the suburbs of southern China would ever be made to make restitution?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    Yeah, except those base Specialized frames probably weigh twice as much. Plus, a lot of people buy the Chinese fames precisely because they are not plastered with brand names.
    And a lot of people then find their unbranded frames snap suddenly, which can be a little painfull. Also very difficult to claim a guarentee.
    Simple. There is a reason for R&D and applyable US/EU and UK safety standards.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012

Yishun, AliExpress, Carbon failures and Death

OK I see a lot of chat here about whether or not its worth a try; testing out the cheaper carbon goods from China. Now the price of carbon frames and wheels are coming down from legitimate manufacturers, why even bother?

I purchased in actual fact, 4 items; From Carbon Zone a TT frame which was awesome.

I then made the mistake of buying from Yishun through AliExpress.
    The stuff isnt that cheap - I just liked the frame FM 032.
    I got two - first had badly made head tube and wouldnt steer. Stiff and loose points while the Steerer tube and head set grinded against the alloy bearing races. Basically it was a reject frame and was dead on arrival. (Of course you cant see this with the eye so when you accept the frame from the courier, thats where your rights end).
    The back up frame had an ISP which snapped on its first ride. Less than one hour.
    As I was sponsored to race I had the piece of crap fixed by an expensive carbon engineer.
    I raced on it some more, things like the bottle bosses on both frames popped out easily and the recesses to fit the brakes had to be filed down to get the brakes to fit on.
    Eventually as they had sent me 2 duff frames, they agreed to swap one frame.
    I sent the non steering frame back and recieved a third dead frame. This time a Non ISP, only theyd drilled the bloody seat clamp bolt off centre and therefore could not get a saddle onto it. So thats a road frame, for $600 which you have to stand up on, or sit on a seat post. Nice!
    To the last request for a refund, Yishun `Danny' berated me, accusing me of lying, and daring me to complain to AliExpress. "Come on, I play with you"
    Nice touch.
    So that was 3 factory reject frames sold as new frames; a complimentary insult, plus about 5 missed races, and build/repair bills of 350.
    And they sell Wheels! Hell, Ive learned enough from this trade with one Chinese carbon factory to know my life is definately worth an extra 300!
    When the seat came off my second bike I just managed to hop off the road and out of the traffic after my weight suddenly shifted backwards.
    Is it worth a try? Russian Roulette is much more elegant and with the money you'll save, if you survive, you could go buy yourself a proper bike!
    Avoid like herpese -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Check out the mechanics report = all 3 frames.

the bike warehouse
    53-55 high street
    sevenoaks
    kent
    tn15 6rl

Hi there, in regards to the faulty yisun carbon frames. The first frame we assembled had an issue with the head tube not being correctly manufactured, this resulted in the steering having tight and loose spots, as the frame was binding on the headset. we did state to the customer that it wasnt safe to ride as we felt the overall quality of the frame was not up to a safe standard. also on the customers first ride the bottle cage bosses snapped .
    Then after the replacment frame had , had the seat post trimmed down by a different shop we examined the cut and were happy in our opinion that it was ok. but this lasted less than an hour before the carbon delaminated. so the customer had it repaired by carbonology at a cost of 200, and they were sure the delamination was not a result of the seat post being cut.
    The third frame then had an issue with the seat clamp bolt not being manufactured correctly resulting in the treads being under more load than needed. and making it very difficlut to adjust the saddle angle, and again the bottle cage bosses have broken again.
    we would say in our opinion that non of the yisun frame supplyed are safe to ride.

many thanks

chris (assistant manager)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    umm, sorry, didn't mean to set the ranters off. I think anyone who gets this far down the thread is aware of the pros and cons

all frames, made by whoever in wherever, from whatever and at any price point, can have problems. My first BMC was warrantied for a cracked seat stay. It's not them, it's me - at 90kg I'm too fat

Thanks erictheHalf for answering my question

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow...Nice posts

Two FM028s here and 2 FM029s...The 28s have been going strong for a season, not one issue! Damn fine frame for the cost, prefer it over my Tarmac Expert...Take that!

29s have just been built and look fantastic and will ride just as well!

BTW, crashed my 28 about 6wks ago and guess what, it didn't asplode

You bought crap and it sucked...Go to a reputable Chinese manufacturer and you get good stuff, period!

banned
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stevepeter83 View Post
    Mate if I have the money believe me, I would buy the real thing! In fact, it has been my dream to own a real Trek Madone 7 and Pinarello Dogma.

Btw everyone, FYI, I have dropped off all the stuff on Saturday (2 days ago) to a local LBS to get the bike built. The owner said it's going to take few days so I would expect in these 1-2 days for my bike to be fully ready.

Stay tuned, I'll write another article on my blog to report its performance.

In the meantime, if you haven't had a chance to read my blog, I've written an article on unboxing the Chinarello frame. Here is the link:

My Cycling Journal: Chinarello Build Part 1 - Unboxing

Hi all,

Just an update from me. My bike is still with LBS. I got few report items today:
    - No steer spacer
    - BB thread is Italian instead of English

So it will be another few days before I can take it home as LBS needs to order the Italian BB. The SRAM Red kit I bought has English BB. Other than that no other issues are found.

I'll keep you all updated.

banned
    Apr 2012
    Oh and also, few people have asked me various questions.

I'll collate them all and answer them on my blog. Stay tuned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomedofthedead View Post
    I think I put it a little more charm into it than you just showed. Still - you added some crap to a report on crap, so all ended well.
    And thanks anyway, but I think l'll just take my day as it comes.

There are a bajillion posts here about who to buy from and the evidence speaks louder than anything else here.
    This wont help you now, but hope it helps others... do your research.

Of all the people who have bought recently from Dengfu, Hongfu etc (me included) the bikes have turned out to be exceptionally good.

There are people, like yourself, who have bought from other companies that seem to be less reputable and ... well.. you know the story there.

It is very much a case of buyer beware, but also a few reputable companies making (so far) solid reliable frames.

Im guessing you bought your frames before you found this forum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    these are some pretty good deals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    how much difference is there in these carbons to other carbons?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackkane View Post
    how much difference is there in these carbons to other carbons?
    Pretty sure they're all the same atom, same atomic weight, orbitals and all that.
    "Well, this one goes to 11" - Campagnolo Rep

Booo-yaaawwwww!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anyone have any news on the updated fm-098? The fm-099 aka C0S099

It already seems to be on ebay.

Cycling Nut
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kweenam View Post
    Hi,
    Just got my frame on 5.12.2012 (after two week order) and build it by myself using two night work.

I am using ultegra group set (used) on it as such it will more heavy than using other group set (high end)

My comments as:-
    1) Frame/Fork/seatpost - what you paid is what you get ! frame are light (as using T1000) but workmanship are not able to compare to real thing (outer look quick nice but if you carefully look inside the frame carbon structure is little bit rough)

2) Painting - reasonable nice

3) Build are quick easy but more careful on the cable routing as you need to do one cable one at each time to avoid cable crossing as I using normal cabling (Internally they do not have any cable guide)

I have not ride it yet so that I have no any comments on the bike ride
    Hi what size is this and how did you fiind the fit of the wheels i.e. centred ok and seatpost i.e. easy to move up and down in seat tube?

Cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioactive Man View Post
    Hi what size is this and how did you fiind the fit of the wheels i.e. centred ok and seatpost i.e. easy to move up and down in seat tube?

Cheers
    Additionally could you tell us more about the wheels tubs clincher matt gloss and where you got them The Cosmic graphics look awesome. The frame appears a little stubby, I am guessing that it is a small size. Looks well, Nothing wrong with Ultegra and the grey finish compliments the colour scheme
    Last edited by Seoige; 12-08-2012 at 02:31 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I have a question for all you boffins regarding carbon clincher rims. It is well know that when braking hard on long descents there is a possibility/likelihood of de-lamination which is not the case of tubs. The associated problems with tubs is that the glue would melt and the tyre possibly come off. So my thinking was, why not fit a tubular tyre on a clincher rim and alleviate the problem of de-lamination of the side wall contributed by the clincher tyre during heat build up. Then low and behold it seems tufo do such a tyre http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/whattype.php.....of course if you do flat, you could always carry a spare folding clincher with you(pre-stretched of course) and revert back. This might prolong the life of carbon clinchers by reduced side wall forces, reduce the heat transfer and side loading of the tyre onto the side wall due to braking? Also provide the benefit of a higher tpi casing with a tubular. And no glueing involved!! Might have to secure around the valve hole with a little tape as a precaution. Any thoughts?

There is a negative article here Review: Tufo CS3 Lite Tubular Clincher tyre | road.cc | Road cycling news, Bike reviews, Commuting, Leisure riding, Sportives and more and a more favourable review Tufo C Elite Road Tubular Clincher Road Cycling UK I think the idea is sound for where you know you will be on descents but I would not advocate it for general riding or flat terrains. I wonder if anyone has ever tried them out?

On a different note this China man is my hero.....Chinese man creates own Lamborghini out of iron and an old van - YouTube
    Last edited by Seoige; 12-09-2012 at 10:15 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

how to fix noise from internal cable routing

I bought my MC-053 Scott foil replica from miracle trade about a year ago. I have been pleased with it except that the internal cable guides have been making this awful sound, like a lose BB or lose crank bolt. I finally figured out that it was the cable guides. So, i decided to fill the downtube and top tube with this:
    Great Stuff small gap foam
    Air Sealing Holes and Leaks | GREAT STUFF? Gaps & Cracks
    Since i have had the bike for around a year, i figured if i broke it, no harm, i got my $600 worth. So i took off the headset and put an extension hose onto the foam spray and went and sprayed the foam in the downtube and top tube. I had some overflow, which was expected, so i cleaned it up with denatured alcohol. Put everything back and and the bike is very quiet. Its really nice now, no creaking, no noise. you can tap on the frame and hear a dull sound, like when you hit a stud in the drywall. Very different sound than my other carbon frames, so i am sure that the foam filled in the downtube and top tube. I checked the frame and no cracks or any issues. I assume it added about 50-100g, the foam is very light weight. Anyways, if anyone is having problems with noise from the internal cable routing, this is a safe way to go.
    Ian

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Great Stuff small gap foam
    Air Sealing Holes and Leaks | GREAT STUFF? Gaps & Cracks
    checked the frame and no cracks or any issues. I assume it added about 50-100g, the foam is very light weight. Anyways, if anyone is having problems with noise from the internal cable routing, this is a safe way to go.
    Ian[/QUOTE]

I would not advocate this , it is a short term measure. What happens in the future if you need to direct cables or the existing ones become worn. I think a simpler solution would be a more rigid cable housing. And maybe not bother with the plastic sleeve.

Page 114 of 218 FirstFirst ... 112113114115116 ... LastLast