Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 6.0 - Page 5
Page 5 of 218 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bernard29 View Post
    @ APACHESIX, your frame is very nice, the work was execute from, only, the pictures above ?
    In that case, i may look about ICAN tt frames !
    @ bernard29: Thanks (looking forward to seeing it in person and starting the build), and yes, that is all I sent them.

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    Quote Originally Posted by bernard29 View Post
    So, @FTR, wich seller gave you a quote of 150 $ for 3 colours ? Miracle ?
    Yes, Miracle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
    I just finished building my Scott Foil MC053 replica from Miracle trade 56cm 3k gloss.
    Took the bike out for 40 miles yesterday. Bike felt great, very similar feel to my real scott addict SL. Felt just as stiff as the real thing, but its quite a bit heavier. Hopefully in a few years these chinese frames will come down in weight.
    Everything else was great though, i took a lot of pictures below with weights and descriptions.
    Thanks for the pics and tips.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Man, these MC053s are getting thick on the ground here.

I made good progress today in my build. First I used a piece of PVC to mount the crown race:

This worked well.

I cut the steerer, mounted the fork and most of the componentry down in my basement laboratory. I didn't get to the drivetrain cables before dinner:

Please disregard the positioning of everything (levers too low, too many spacers, saddle...everything), I have a lot of work to go with adjusting. I'll do that slowly as the riding season picks up here in Chicago.

The cockpit of this bike is a feast of (Chinese) carbon:

I had the go to the bike store to get new front and rear caliper bolts and cage bolts. All were given to me for free and worked perfectly. I bought a couple new cages just to compensate them. I love the service a good LBS provides.

I think this is going to come it at right around 16.7 lbs which isn't bad at all given the full Ultegra and 1,650g wheels.

No surprises in this build yet. The headset was easy to mount and nice and snug, the bottom bracket shell looks faced and true, the brake cables went in without a problem. I have to say the engineering I'm seeing in this frame exceeds my expectation. This is not the cheap-o flimsy crap I was concerned about.
    Last edited by Hiro11; 02-18-2012 at 05:27 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    2. The cable guide for the front derailleur had some carbon stuff stuck in it when routing from behind the bottom bracket. Its hard to explain, but i just took a screw driver and cleaned it out. This is where the cable comes out from the down tube right in front of the bottom bracket then wraps around under the bottom bracket into a hole in the area between where the stays meet.
    Mine too. I took a needle file and cleaned up the opening. There's some alloy down there as well, I noticed.

4. Seat post wedge was a bit tricky. Make sure to install the seat post first and mark the height with some tape. Then install the wedge unit as a whole and make sure it is flush with the top tube. If you dont do this, the seat post will creak a bit.
    I just pushed it in there with some grip paste. We'll see how this works out.

5. Seat clamp is a PITA. I dont like it at all. Its very hard to adjust the angle.
    Pop the two black alloy "end caps" out with something and lube the entire mechanism. Makes getting the angle correct much easier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    I just posted this over on Velobuild:

OK, got the stuff today. Matte MC053 (Scott Foil clone) from Miracle Trade. Same exact frame as the one Apachesix just posted (great choice!). I also bought HB003 bars and ST002 stem. First impressions are very favorable. We'll see as I build it up.

Weights:
    Frame (size 54): 1,190 (with clamp) 1,100 without. The clamp is pretty beefy.
    Fork: 460 (uncut)
    Seatpost: 240
    Stem: 140 (100MM, looks like a 6 degree rise)
    Bars: 215 (240s)

All are about what I expected, not super light but perfectly acceptable.

Overall, this is a pretty tough looking frame. Everything looks a bit overbuilt and durable. Hopefully it will last. The bars, stem and seatpost have integral sections of roughened epoxy to increase friction which is a swell feature. Will build up this weekend.
    I came up w/ the same weight. Interesting comparison
    Frame+fork+clamp+seatpost on the chinese bike is 1920g
    Frame+fork+clamp+seatpost on the scott foil is 1230g
    Scott Foil Aero Road Bike Launched - BikeRadar
    Price on the chinese bike is $600
    Price on the scott foil is $3150
    Scott Foil 10 2012 Frameset | R&A Cycles
    $/gram saved is $3.70
    So there you go, easy way to make a decision about what its worth to you. I wish the frame was a bit lighter.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

Chinese Carbon Seat pillar question

The build has started on my Miracle MC008. I got a carbon seat pillar with the frame. It is 300mm long. I estimate that there will be about 110-120 mm of seat post in the frame when it is set at the right hight. That puts the end of the seat post below the junction of the top and seat tube and the seat stays. I am hoping that is in far enough. Any comments or anyone care to share their carbon seat post experiences

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I came up w/ the same weight. Interesting comparison
    Frame+fork+clamp+seatpost on the chinese bike is 1920g
    Frame+fork+clamp+seatpost on the scott foil is 1230g
    Scott Foil Aero Road Bike Launched - BikeRadar
    Price on the chinese bike is $600
    Price on the scott foil is $3150
    Scott Foil 10 2012 Frameset | R&A Cycles
    $/gram saved is $3.70
    So there you go, easy way to make a decision about what its worth to you. I wish the frame was a bit lighter.....
    The BikeRadar numbers can't be right.

Frame = 840g,
    Frame + Fork + Seatpost + Clamp = 1227g

Meaning : Fork + Seatpost + Clamp = 387g??!!

A typical high-end tapered steerer fork alone weighs in that ballpark of weight.

Think a more realistic comparison should be 1190+ 460 versus 1227g

Which is 1650 versus 1227g instead!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    @Hiro11- Thanks for the advice about the seat mount with greasing the black plastic cups. Do you have any problems with the seat rotating on you since there is grease on the black plastic cups? I actually degreased that area so that way the cups would not slip, but if they dont slip for you, then i might go ahead and grease that area to make adjusting the angle of the seat easier.

@maxxevv- Good catch with the weight. I found this other post on weight weenie where someone weighted their Scott Foil R2
    Weight Weenies • View topic - Scott Foil R2 - 6.2kgs

Frame - Scott Foil R2 (Medium 54cm)inc. headset press cups 921g
    Fork - Scott Foil R2 -uncut 384g
    Headset - Ritchey WCS Integrated 61g
    Stem Cap + bolt + compression plug 34g
    Seat Mast - Ritchey Carbon for Scott Foil 199g
    Seat Mast Clamp bolt 24g
    Derailleur Hanger + bolts 12g
    Total=1635g

Frame+fork+clamp+seatpost on the chinese bike is 1920g + 122g for the headset=2042g

So the weight difference is 2042g-1635g=407g.
    Price difference is $3150-$600=$2550
    $2550/407g=$6.3/g.

Not so motivating now to get the real thing....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Well, this has nothing to do with a frame, but it does involve chinese carbon bottle cages. I bought these eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices and received them fairly quickly, but the are too small in diameter. I mean a regular water bottle is very hard to insert or remove from the cages. I have a pair of Forte' carbon cages that hold the bottle snug but these are crazy, like not really usable they are so tight.

Anyone else found this with the chinese cages? Seller says they will refund me...but they have not yet. I also bought some carbon stem spacers from them at the same time and they sent the wrong ones, I can use what they sent but still....

Get what you pay for I guess. Any recommendations on decent chinese bottle holders?

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    Had the opposite problem actually.
    Far too loose and the bottles rattle around on even smooth roads.
    Lasted one ride before I dumped them for some Elite cages.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Obligatory white garage door shot, this one post ten mile shakedown ride:

My phone's camera is convinced everything is blue, sorry about that.

Nothing broke, seatpost didn't slip, bars didn't slip. This is a promising sign. I've double (triple) checked every bolt with a torque wrench.

This bike is really stiff. The chainstays are super-massive and the back end is very short and tucked under you which makes it very responsive to hard peddling. The front end is similarly tight. This makes it feel much more "high strung" than a "grand tour" bike like my Madone. It feels a bit like my single speed track bike: not extremely stable on descents but quick handling and a rocket uphill. I was looking for a more aggressive bike so this makes me happy. This feels like it is a bike made for crits and the like: lots of accelerations and dodging in and out of traffic. If you want a straight-up race bike, this might be the one to get.

Prior to the ride, I noticed that the internal cables rattled inside the frame when I banged the front wheel on the floor. I took the fork off, went to Jo-Ann fabric with the kids, bought some high-density chair foam stuffed some in the top tube and down tube to quiet everything down. This only took a minute and worked like a charm. The bike has such huge tubes and is so "hollow" that it makes a bit of a reverberating hum while rolling, similar to the sound deep section carbon rims make. It's a pleasing sound.

I'm pretty happy with the bike, need more good weather to really string it out.
    Last edited by Hiro11; 02-19-2012 at 12:47 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by davcruz View Post

Get what you pay for I guess. Any recommendations on decent chinese bottle holders?
    The roads I ride on, in Ireland, are like toned down pave. I knew carbon cages would be usless as I would need to squeeze bottle in but be able to be able to get the bottle out without any hassle. I found a seller and got a sample of them. When I found they worked I ordered a bag of 10 black ones. While I had the 'test' one I took a small spill and the cage snapped. The seller only sends via very slow mail so I just bit the bullet and ordered 10 and so I have about 6 sitting in my attic, I can send you on a couple if you want?
    I will pm you a pic of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Bike looks great Hiro and thanks for the ride report! Sounds very encouraging, I have a frame on order also. Did you have any difficulties with the build at all? It mentioned previously that someone had trouble fitting the front mech.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by solarFlash View Post
    Bike looks great Hiro and thanks for the ride report! Sounds very encouraging, I have a frame on order also. Did you have any difficulties with the build at all? It mentioned previously that someone had trouble fitting the front mech.
    No problems to speak of with the build. I'm not a real fan of internal cabling, it's fussy and a bit pointless. The internal cabling on this bike is just about the easiest I've done, really not bad at all. Cable friction is fine, brakes and derailleurs work well. The fd braze on is fine for a full size crank, I didn't have to readjust the range bolts, which was a surprise. I mounted both mechs in about half an hour, which is really good for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    That's good to know, I was planning on going with a standard crank too (BB30 though). Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mmamalyga View Post
    Hi everybody,

I'm looking to pick up some carbon tubular wheels and was wondering who the majority would recommend?

Flyxii, Helin Liu, Blade X, etc.....there are too many to keep track of.

If somebody could tell me who is reliable (fast shipping, good product, etc) or at least who to stay away from it would be great!
    Miracle Trade, Jack Chen, quick replies, fast shipping to Australia (7 days) I just purchased 3 rims and a wheelset all 88T, I'm happy with the quality, better than my last experience with Tony from Dengfu.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bcmf View Post
    The roads I ride on, in Ireland, are like toned down pave. I knew carbon cages would be usless as I would need to squeeze bottle in but be able to be able to get the bottle out without any hassle. I found a seller and got a sample of them. When I found they worked I ordered a bag of 10 black ones. While I had the 'test' one I took a small spill and the cage snapped. The seller only sends via very slow mail so I just bit the bullet and ordered 10 and so I have about 6 sitting in my attic, I can send you on a couple if you want?
    I will pm you a pic of them.
    Thanks for the information and the PM's! Shipping from Ireland would probably be prohibitive for bottle cages, but can you tell me the brand or seller of these that you have been using?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Prior to the ride, I noticed that the internal cables rattled inside the frame when I banged the front wheel on the floor. I took the fork off, went to Jo-Ann fabric with the kids, bought some high-density chair foam stuffed some in the top tube and down tube to quiet everything down. This only took a minute and worked like a charm. The bike has such huge tubes and is so "hollow" that it makes a bit of a reverberating hum while rolling, similar to the sound deep section carbon rims make. It's a pleasing sound.

I'm pretty happy with the bike, need more good weather to really string it out.
    Brilliant idea! I noticed the same thing. I decided to stuff bubble wrap into part of the downtube from the bottom of the headset area (1.5") and that seemed to shut up the internal cable routing housing. So far so good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by davcruz View Post
    Thanks for the information and the PM's! Shipping from Ireland would probably be prohibitive for bottle cages, but can you tell me the brand or seller of these that you have been using?
    Sure will have a root thru my email/paypal and see if I can get you something.
    WIll also see how much shipping would be form here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    hi guys!

been lurking around the forum for some time before i decided to pull the trigger on Dengfu's fm098 (Venge copy). Turns out the seatpost only accepts round saddle rails. but my sadde's rails are ovalised! (carbon rails) is there anyway i can modify or are there round carbon railed saddles out there in the market?

thanks alot!

Vee
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Man, these MC053s are getting thick on the ground here.

I made good progress today in my build. First I used a piece of PVC to mount the crown race:

This worked well.
    Just to comment on this so others don't make a similar mistake, please be sure that you are not setting the fork down on the dropouts when using the mallet to set the crown race. A better, safer way would be to simply turn the entire setup upside down and slam the PVC down against the concrete. This will put all of the pressure to the crown race and PVC rather than hammering down against your fork dropouts, which is a good way to cause serious damage.

Vee
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    hi guys!

been lurking around the forum for some time before i decided to pull the trigger on Dengfu's fm098 (Venge copy). Turns out the seatpost only accepts round saddle rails. but my sadde's rails are ovalised! (carbon rails) is there anyway i can modify or are there round carbon railed saddles out there in the market?

thanks alot!
    This got answered (for the second or third time) towards the end of version 5.0 of this thread. Please visit the first page of this thread for a link to it and search the 5.0 version for your answer.

As a bit of a hint, the parts you are looking for are sold by Bontrager.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Hiro,
    What size cranks are those?

TAPTAP..Is this thing on?
    Obligatory white garage door shot, this one post ten mile shakedown ride:

Anyone think that with a say 1500ish gram wheelset and SRAM Force that we could get one of these well under 16 pounds?

Hiro, nice looking ride btw.

Page 5 of 218 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast