Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 6.0

2M views 5K replies 951 participants last post by  Jakak 
#1 ·
I am thinking i will be ordering an FM028 60cm from http://dengfu.en.alibaba.com/.

The frame/fork combo was quoted to me at $360 (+80 shipping)

What else did you folks order from their website before checking out? The site is a bit hard to navigate, but did you source your additional parts (BB, headset, spacers, bars, stem etc) locally or right on their site?.

I hope to complete a build for under $1500 with SRAM apex (or next group up). I have surgery in 2 weeks, so i will have lots of time to investigate and search for parts/deals

Any other information for a chinabike newbie would be very much apreciated... i have read the stickies, and look forward to having a less common billboard bike

Has this bike been stiff enough for you guys/gals? I would assume most people needing a 60cm bike would be a larger individual, and for us stiffness can be a premium.

#2 ·
adam_mac84 said:
I am thinking i will be ordering an FM028 60cm from http://dengfu.en.alibaba.com/.

The frame/fork combo was quoted to me at $360 (+80 shipping)

What else did you folks order from their website before checking out? The site is a bit hard to navigate, but did you source your additional parts (BB, headset, spacers, bars, stem etc) locally or right on their site?.

I hope to complete a build for under $1500 with SRAM apex (or next group up). I have surgery in 2 weeks, so i will have lots of time to investigate and search for parts/deals

Any other information for a chinabike newbie would be very much apreciated... i have read the stickies, and look forward to having a less common billboard bike

Has this bike been stiff enough for you guys/gals? I would assume most people needing a 60cm bike would be a larger individual, and for us stiffness can be a premium.
Just recently bought an FM015-ISP from DengFu. No problems. In addition to the frame and fork I bought headset, handlebars, stem and bottle cages. I don't think everything they can get is on their website. Start a conversation with Tony and tell him what you want. Check other supplier websites (like HongFu - http://www.e-hongfu-bikes.com/ ) or get the catalog from Miracle-Trading (https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_...jljNTM4MDQwNmRk&sort=name&layout=list&num=50). If you find something you want, then ask Tony for the specific part number - he'll tell you if he can get it or what parts he has. DengFu did not negotiate any prices (but neither did HongFu or Miracle-Trading) and remember they have a 3.8% fee for paypal (HongFu is 4%, don't know if Miracle-Trading takes paypal).

#4 ·
Talk to them directly it's much faster and easier than sending emails back and forth, here is their contact info, I talked to them all the time with the Alibaba Chat tool (remember time difference)

I bought the Frame, Fork, Headset, Handlebar, 2 x Cages, Seatpost, Clamp, Spacers, Painted Matte, Paypal fee and Shipping for $600

Tony:
msn - greatkeen_tony@hotmail.com
tony@greatkeen.com.cn

Mina:
dengfusale@yahoo.cn

This is my current build of the FM015, received it in 4 days.
For larger pic click here: http://gabeadz.com/karlo/images/gallery/hobbies/My Bike/KGDC/kgdc-9.JPG

#5 ·
at that price point you're paying a lot for a no-name frame

the base CF specicalized bikes, or neuvation, or many other options from real bike makers are available in that price range
Yeah, except those base Specialized frames probably weigh twice as much. Plus, a lot of people buy the Chinese fames precisely because they are not plastered with brand names.

#9 · (Edited)
krisdrum said:
That bike is not a carbon fiber bike

According to that link - The frame uses an alloy bottom bracket, seat cluster and head tube........ which means it's a metal lugged with carbon tubes. Clearly seen in the pics of it.

...and it's double the price I paid for my 'real' carbon frame complete.

#10 ·
ColoRoadie said:
That bike is not a carbon fiber bike

According to that link - The frame uses an alloy bottom bracket, seat cluster and head tube........ which means it's a metal lugged with carbon tubes. Clearly seen in the pics of it.

...and it's double the price I paid for my 'real' carbon frame complete.
The original poster of the comment wasn't specific. It was a general correction. You can get as nit-picky as you want, but Neuvation does sell framesets. Nothing more, nothing less.

#11 ·
krisdrum said:
The original poster of the comment wasn't specific. It was a general correction. You can get as nit-picky as you want, but Neuvation does sell framesets. Nothing more, nothing less.
Not to pick nits, but when you say nothing more, nothing less, you mean more money for less carbon fiber and a far easier to build frame...right? The original poster quoted an FM028 from dengfu which is a full carbon monocoque frame...not tubes glued into metal lugs.

The fact is, I have not seen any of the major brands selling a carbon fiber frame anywhere near the price point quoted here. I'm not saying they don't, but I am saying I have not seen any. If they do exist, myself and others would be interested in seeing them and will thank you for showing them to us..but posting that they are available in that range and then posting the Neuvation frame as an example of said frames is misleading...since it is neither a comparable frame nor a comparable price.

#12 ·
ColoRoadie said:
Not to pick nits, but when you say nothing more, nothing less, you mean more money for less carbon fiber and a far easier to build frame...right? The original poster quoted an FM028 from dengfu which is a full carbon monocoque frame...not tubes glued into metal lugs.

The fact is, I have not seen any of the major brands selling a carbon fiber frame anywhere near the price point quoted here. I'm not saying they don't, but I am saying I have not seen any. If they do exist, myself and others would be interested in seeing them and will thank you for showing them to us..but posting that they are available in that range and then posting the Neuvation frame as an example of said frames is misleading...since it is neither a comparable frame nor a comparable price.
Let me be absolutely clear. Someone posted that Neuvation does not sell framesets. I posted that the statement is false and provided a link to clearly demonstrate that. I made no other comment about anything else. I was simply correcting the misinformation that Neuvation does not sell framesets.

Anything more you want to read into it or expand upon that from is your agenda. If the OP or anyone else feels more informed or that they have more choices to consider, I've accomplished my job.

#13 ·
ColoRoadie said:

I'm seeing 2011 spec roubaix and tarmacs with apex for $1800 locally, they're not the only big name with a full carbon bike in that range (and closeout stuff will be even cheaper if it's still around)

when you look at frame alone, sure the hongfu stuff looks like a good value, but if you've got to buy all the other components that make a bicycle then the value's not as strong

if our OP already has a groupset, wheels, etc on hand than the cheap frame makes more sense, if he's planning on purchasing all the items, then buying a complete bike makes more sense

our OP's budget would allow for some pretty nice complete bikes

#14 ·
roscoe said:
I'm seeing 2011 spec roubaix and tarmacs with apex for $1800 locally, they're not the only big name with a full carbon bike in that range (and closeout stuff will be even cheaper if it's still around)

when you look at frame alone, sure the hongfu stuff looks like a good value, but if you've got to buy all the other components that make a bicycle then the value's not as strong

if our OP already has a groupset, wheels, etc on hand than the cheap frame makes more sense, if he's planning on purchasing all the items, then buying a complete bike makes more sense

What??
I could build a Dengfu with Ultegra and a REALLY nice build kit for around that price.

#15 ·

A friend of mine built a Hong-fu with SRAM Force and a 1400g wheelset for $1,500. No way you are getting even in that ballpark buying a Trek or Specialized.

#16 ·
nealric said:
A friend of mine built a Hong-fu with SRAM Force and a 1400g wheelset for $1,500. No way you are getting even in that ballpark buying a Trek or Specialized.
I think you'll find friends generally forget to include freight, or customs fees in their budget number they tell you.

our OP was talking about "hoping" to keep an apex bike with a china carbon frame under $1500, maybe that's an easy thing to do, maybe it's not

if you're looking at a china carbon bike with apex for $1500 bucks vs what you can get at a LBS for $1500 bucks, there's some pretty good competition for the china bike

it's easy to lose track of your budget when buying a bit here and a bit there, then at the end look at all your recipts and feel like banging your head into the wall

if our OP goes china bike, he should really carefully keep track of the budget so he doesn't end up with a china bike that cost more than a name brand bike with a warranty.
(which I'm sure he's fully capable of)

#2,633 ·
Here's my build with full Ultegra, including all shipping costs. All parts are completely new except the Ultegra group which was a take-off after 10 miles of riding. It would not be possible to get close to this weight for this price from a LBS or online with branded frames.

Make Weight Cost
Frame/Fork Flyxii FR-315 1384 $490.00
Stem Ritchey Pro 4axis 150 $34.99
Handlebar Dengfu 220 $48.00
Bar Tape Fizik Microtex 63 $17.95
Brake/Shifters Shimano Ultegra 448 $610.00
Crankset Shimano Ultegra 800
Derailleurs – F Shimano Ultegra 84
Derailleurs – R Shimano Ultegra 190
Brakes Shimano Ultegra 308
Cassette Shimano 105 238 $48.99
Chain Shimano Ultegra 267 $31.99
Cables/Housing
Headset incl with frame 93 $0.00
Pedals Forte Team Road 280 $0.00
Seatpost Flyxii 163 $0.00
Saddle Cutter 212 $0.00
Tires Continental Gatorskins 460 $87.98
Tubes Vittoria Latex 150 $29.68
Wheels Vuelta Corsa-Lite 1523 $240.00

Totals 7033 $1,639.58

Weight in lb 15.50509246

#17 ·
I think you'll find friends generally forget to include freight, or customs fees in their budget number they tell you.
Nope. I helped him order everything. No customs fees on China frames for most people. Shipping for most parts was less than retail sales tax. It did include some ebay finds- but building from the ground up allows you to do that. I'm also building up a TT bike (sans wheelset) for under $1,000 from a (very slightly) used deng-fu frame right now. I would have a very hard time finding what I want as a complete bike. Part of the appeal is that you can choose every single component.

if you're looking at a china carbon bike with apex for $1500 bucks vs what you can get at a LBS for $1500 bucks, there's some pretty good competition for the china bike
It generally doesn't make sense to build your own bike if you are going for low-end components. I find it's much harder to find deals on stuff like apex groupsets than higher end groupsets. But if you are willing to put in the effort looking for deals, you can get a high-end equipped bike for the price of a low-end one.

#23 ·
Thanks alot for the responses everyone. I am going to put togather a parts/price list. It seems like nearly all carbon road bikes out there are at the 2k level in frames geometries that fit me (key point).

Is anyone riding daily on the carbon clinchers? I am about 220#, and saw those on the site (according to my alibaba chat, they only had tubulars which are not of interest to me). Curious to hear some thoughts about them.

I am currently looking around for group sets. My area doesn't have much on craigslist unfortunately. It's going to ebay or online likely

#25 ·
Campagnolo Athena 11 speed groups on ebay for $800 ish. I pieced together a Chorus/Athena 11 speed for quite a bit less just by watching for deals. Runs like a wet dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.