Climbing Rigs - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 67

Thread: Climbing Rigs

  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    792
    I bought a Canyon Ultimate EVO frameset (rim brake version - because at the time that's all that existed).

    I was pretty excited when it arrived. Then I took it out of the box and put a set of C24's and a seat/post on it, and it's sat in my garage, unbuilt, since then.

    For some reason I lost interest in it altogether.

    I'll probably hang on to it until rim brake climbing bikes are 'those rare old vintage bikes you see on Ebay' and sell it to someone who has an interest in 'vintage' bikes.

    In the meantime, I'm quite happy riding my Moots Routt RSL, my Norco Search XR, and my disc brake Canyon Endurace (for when I need a bike with less that 32mm tires - not that often these days).

    I also have an old BMC Gran Fondo GF-01 that is pending a refinish and rebuild that would make a fine climbing bike. It's really light and super stiff where it counts (BB/Down Tube/Head Tube)

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    I bought a Canyon Ultimate EVO frameset (rim brake version - because at the time that's all that existed).

    I was pretty excited when it arrived. Then I took it out of the box and put a set of C24's and a seat/post on it, and it's sat in my garage, unbuilt, since then.

    For some reason I lost interest in it altogether.

    I'll probably hang on to it until rim brake climbing bikes are 'those rare old vintage bikes you see on Ebay' and sell it to someone who has an interest in 'vintage' bikes.

    In the meantime, I'm quite happy riding my Moots Routt RSL, my Norco Search XR, and my disc brake Canyon Endurace (for when I need a bike with less that 32mm tires - not that often these days).

    I also have an old BMC Gran Fondo GF-01 that is pending a refinish and rebuild that would make a fine climbing bike. It's really light and super stiff where it counts (BB/Down Tube/Head Tube)
    Wow! Thatís quite the fleet! I am pretty interested in hearing more about what you are doing to the BMC. It sounds like a cool project.

    What size is the Canyon?

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Wow! Thatís quite the fleet! I am pretty interested in hearing more about what you are doing to the BMC. It sounds like a cool project.

    What size is the Canyon?
    Both of my Canyons (Ultimate EVO and Endurace) are XL. They pretty much fit me perfectly.

    The BMC is a 2015 model, and it's still one of my all-time favorite bikes. Unfortunately it was damaged in a conflict with my garage door, and needed a minor carbon repair. The repair is great, but the finish that was put on is not holding up well, so I'm going to send it off for a custom refinish, and then build it back up. It will have a mix of Ultegra, GRX and Dura-Ace Di2 when it's done. I have two great wheel sets for it. A brand new pair of C24's for 'special occasions' and a set of Chris King/HED Belgium Plus that I will use most of the time.

    Once this is done, it will serve my 'climbing rig' needs perfectly.

    This is the current colorway. I like it a lot. It's one of my favorites, but I think I'm going to have something custom done.




    I haven't decided exactly what yet, but I think I will start with a dark metallic red and then maybe throw in some black, silver or gray accents. Details TBD. And I'm still in the market for a good re-finisher. The one I was going to use (locally) closed up shop and went to work for Trek's Project One team.

    I'm going to start with getting a quote from Black Magic Paint in Portland, but I'm open to other suggestions of anyone has any good references.

    Black Magic Paint
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Finx; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:08 PM.

  4. #29
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,051
    Carbon Solutions (formerly known as Joe's Carbon Repair) in Watsonville, California... Carbon Solutions | Repair Through Perfection

    Have used them a couple times for repair and/or paint job, very satisfied. Worth getting a quote from, perhaps.

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Carbon Solutions (formerly known as Joe's Carbon Repair) in Watsonville, California... Carbon Solutions | Repair Through Perfection

    Have used them a couple times for repair and/or paint job, very satisfied. Worth getting a quote from, perhaps.
    Thanks! That Trek restoration in their gallery looks pretty sweet.

    I think I'm going go for something pretty basic, but with some color (kinda tired of all black bikes).

    I like the look of this Madone that Black Magic did, but I'd like it with a darker red with a metallic/flake main color and a slightly darker shade of gray... but... ask me again tomorrow and I'm sure I'll change my mind

    Black Magic Paint-Trek Madone

  6. #31
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,051
    I actually love the BMC team red frame with black letters scheme. Simple but looks great.

  7. #32
    I love to climb!
    Reputation: Jwiffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,031
    I do a lot of climbing. I have a TCR Advanced Pro disc. Discs are pretty much a necessity on steep descents with carbon wheels. As light as discs are, there's not much of a weight penalty going up.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

  8. #33
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,881
    My climbing rig is a BH G7 which is disk with Di2 and Enve 3.4 wheels - light and brakes well. Mat black with the stock logos, only one I've seen around these parts. Bought the frame on Ebay and built it with some stuff I had laying around and some new stuff. Chose this over other options in part because it's uncommon and looks nice IMHO.
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

    "The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

  9. #34
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    My climbing rig is a BH G7 which is disk with Di2 and Enve 3.4 wheels - light and brakes well. Mat black with the stock logos, only one I've seen around these parts. Bought the frame on Ebay and built it with some stuff I had laying around and some new stuff. Chose this over other options in part because it's uncommon and looks nice IMHO.
    Very nice. I just made an ebay purchase myself I am about to post about. Post a pic if you can. I haven't seen too many BH G7s myself and would love to check it out.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:19 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,011
    Well folks, I made a decision. I came across something I felt like I shouldn't pass up and went for it. I was just scrolling around on ebay and saw a shop called Wheel and Sprocket and saw they had a few brand new former Trek Segafredo World Tour team frames. I was able to snag a Trek Domane SLR with direct mount rim brakes for $1000 less than they were asking, which was already discounted from the MSRP. It's the rim brake version of the bike linked below. It has front and adjustable rear decouplers, H1 fit (which is about the same as my Museeuw), clearance for 28mm tires officially (probably can fit more), and I have seen them built up to 16.5lbs or so pretty easily. Shopping for wheels next.

    It's this red and white team paint job:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYZyWL9OwtY

    But it's this bike:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G56SLeLPVg

    It looks like they have a few more in various sizes in case anyone is interested. Go to their ebay store, but don't offer over $1500. If you do, my guess is they will take it.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:24 AM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  11. #36
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,011
    I definitely dig where your BMC projected is headed Finx.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  12. #37
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,051
    Nice score. Especially since red is faster.

    Going for deep wheels or shallower climbing ones?

    The Shimano C40s are great for the price, IMO.

    Edit: I know a lot of people wouldn't consider the Domane a climber compared to the Emonda, but I had to rent a Domane a few years ago and it didn't go uphill any worse than my Addict (although a lot of that probably has to do with the engine ).
    Last edited by jetdog9; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:51 AM.

  13. #38
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,011
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Nice score. Especially since red is faster.

    Going for deep wheels or shallower climbing ones?

    The Shimano C40s are great for the price, IMO.

    Edit: I know a lot of people wouldn't consider the Domane a climber compared to the Emonda, but I had to rent a Domane a few years ago and it didn't go uphill any worse than my Addict (although a lot of that probably has to do with the engine ).
    Hahah, thanks man! I agree 100%. I had a SL5 Disc a while back and it was great except for the extra pounds. This should be about 1.5-2.5lbs lighter than that easily and I think it will perform well.

    Right now, I am thinking something in the 35mm-45mm depth range. My decision will definitely be made on price, so I will check those out. Thanks again.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  14. #39
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Hahah, thanks man! I agree 100%. I had a SL5 Disc a while back and it was great except for the extra pounds. This should be about 1.5-2.5lbs lighter than that easily and I think it will perform well.

    Right now, I am thinking something in the 35mm-45mm depth range. My decision will definitely be made on price, so I will check those out. Thanks again.
    Nice choice on the new bike, although I might question you sanity going for carbon clinchers. Do your homework there. Make sure you get a good quality wheel. You don't want those things melting out from under you.

  15. #40
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,051
    That's one of the reasons I suggest the C40s, alloy brake track.

  16. #41
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Nice choice on the new bike, although I might question you sanity going for carbon clinchers. Do your homework there. Make sure you get a good quality wheel. You don't want those things melting out from under you.
    Thanks, will do. I haven't really seen that happen regularly in years though. Some of my buddies ride them all of the time and haven't had any issues either. They are also still being used on the men's and women's world tour here and there without any negative headlines that I have seen.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  17. #42
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Thanks, will do. I haven't really seen that happen regularly in years though. Some of my buddies ride them all of the time and haven't had any issues either. They are also still being used on the men's and women's world tour here and there without any negative headlines that I have seen.
    Your buddies are old and slow, and world tour pro's don't use their brakes enough for it to matter.

    In all seriousness though, you are probably fine as long as you go with a reputable manufacturer (new stock), use the right pads for the wheels you have, and use good technique.

    And also, as with any carbon wheel, be sure not to get it too close to the car exhaust when it's on the bike rack.

    BTW, since this thread was about 'climbing rigs', why not start with something light and low profile, like the C-24? it's not as sexy as a mid or deep section wheel, but I they are really good wheels. See if you can find some on sale somewhere....

  18. #43
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Your buddies are old and slow, and world tour pro's don't use their brakes enough for it to matter.

    In all seriousness though, you are probably fine as long as you go with a reputable manufacturer (new stock), use the right pads for the wheels you have, and use good technique.

    And also, as with any carbon wheel, be sure not to get it too close to the car exhaust when it's on the bike rack.

    BTW, since this thread was about 'climbing rigs', why not start with something light and low profile, like the C-24? it's not as sexy as a mid or deep section wheel, but I they are really good wheels. See if you can find some on sale somewhere....
    They are actually old and relatively fast lol. One has the Roval wheels that came on his stock 2014-2015ish high end Specialized Venge. He has thousands of miles of climbing and descending on those wheels without issue. The other guy sells Wiliers and has some deal with Fulcrum I think. He likes and rides lots of miles on those and also races crits on a pretty big team out here. He also hasn't had any issues. I am definitely planning to look into the Shimano wheels, but I don't feel like I have to limit myself to those based on my experience. I am open to a shallower rim, but won't go less than 30mm and would prefer 35mm or more. The weight you are saving there is negligible and I prefer the look by a significant margin.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  19. #44
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    I do a lot of climbing. I have a TCR Advanced Pro disc. Discs are pretty much a necessity on steep descents with carbon wheels. As light as discs are, there's not much of a weight penalty going up.
    I missed this somehow. Nice choice, I have a ton of respect for the TCR Advanced. It always seems to be a finalist for me. The only reason I didn't go with it this time is the framesets appear to be completely out of inventory everywhere and no one can say when they will be back in stock. Seeing similar things with Specialized.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  20. #45
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Very nice. I just made an ebay purchase myself I am about to post about. Post a pic if you can. I haven't seen to many BH G7s myself and would love to check it out.
    325709d1566062966-new-bike-day-bh-g7-bh-g7.jpg


    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/ge...g7-369229.html
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

    "The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

  21. #46
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,011
    That's clean man. Very nice.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  22. #47
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,011
    Here's more details on the bike. Built up to 15.5lbs here.

    https://granfondo-cycling.com/review...domane-slr-10/

    Trek is claiming it can be brought down to around 15lbs.

    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...mited/p/17144/
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:30 AM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  23. #48
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,011
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  24. #49
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    That bike is one of those rare birds that actually looks good (better?) with white bar tape and seat.

    I assume you are working on sourcing these things now?

  25. #50
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    792
    BTW, check out Hunt Wheels while you are doing your research. They make great wheels (at least I love the set I have), and their prices are pretty good.

    I've no experience with them on rim brakes, so do your homework there...

    https://us.huntbikewheels.com/collec...aterial=Carbon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 04:06 PM
  2. Loose Cables on QS Specialized TT Rigs?
    By weltyed in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 07:56 AM
  3. Post 'em rigs!
    By JoeDaddio in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-24-2006, 03:44 PM
  4. gallery - touring rigs
    By Suddha in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 06:44 PM
  5. Post your touring rigs.
    By adman_1 in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.