Climbing Rigs - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Climbing Rigs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I will definitely check out the Hunt wheels. Thanks for the recommendation! I agree that the white looks really nice on this frame as well. I can't really commit to going that route right now though for a few reasons: 1) I am not a big fan of white bar tape. It get's dirty really easily and I don't enjoy looking at dirty bar tape or changing it frequently. 2) I am partial to lizard skins tape and will likely be going with one of their options I can find in stock. 3) I choose saddles by comfort level and fit and it's one of the components I most selective about. I will explore the bontrager and other options out there but I may just swap over my current saddle because.... 4) I don't have an unlimited budget for this build, so I am trying to swap as much over as I can from the Museeuw. I want it to look nice for sure, but it doesn't have to be at showpiece level for me to be thrilled this time around.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Discs add a trivial amount of weight to the bike,
    I’d hardly call 300g trivial on a “climbing bike.” Discs and climbing bike seem at odds.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    I’d hardly call 300g trivial on a “climbing bike.” Discs and climbing bike seem at odds.
    300g is less than a pound. How much do you weigh again?
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I will just add this. It is clearly possible to build a disc equipped bike at the UCI weight limit or lower today. It doesn't really take much effort to do so. It will not be a cheap enterprise, however, and therein lies the rub. Most disc equipped road bikes are coming in at 17.5 to 20lbs today. You really have to get into the manufacturers' higher end carbon/Ti and/or nicer component groups with lightweight wheels before you start to break that sub 17lb barrier. For me personally, I'm just not into doing that right now. The pros of having discs doesn't offset what I need to spend to build a disc brake equipped bike at a weight I am excited about. I ended up going in a different direction as a result, but to each his/her own.

Oh, the frameset arrived btw. I like it a lot. I am just waiting for bits and pieces to arrive before I start the build/rebuild process.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    The Specialized Aethos.... 585 grams, are you kidding me?!?! $5200 for a frameset, are you kidding me?!?!

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/aethos
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 1 Week Ago at 10:44 AM.

Neophyte
    They are finally releasing it? Wasn't the news that there was some hold-up due to legal trademark issue with the name? Anyway, there it is... surely there will be more "affordable" versions?

I love this industry. We need something NEW to sell, some angle! I know, seat stays that go all the way up!
    Last edited by jetdog9; 1 Week Ago at 11:21 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    They are finally releasing it? Wasn't the news that there was some hold-up due to legal trademark issue with the name? Anyway, there it is... surely there will be more "affordable" versions?

I love this industry. We need something NEW to sell, some angle! I know, seat stays that go all the way up!
    I am guessing the parties involved worked it out somehow. It is kind of ironic though that the bike company known for filing/threatening lawsuits against others for IP issues, runs into a major IP issue themselves lol. Agree with you on the other points and I am sure they will have expert, pro, and sport versions soon. Are those really that exciting though if the bike isn't super lightweight? Doesn't it just make it like any other endurance bike out there pretty much if they are 16-20lbs??? I wonder how this bike's existence will impact their Roubaix sales as a result. It seems like the same customer is going to be in the market for those two bikes.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    ... surely there will be more "affordable" versions?
    I dunno, the frameset says “electronic cable routing only.”

I want one. In green and gold. It will cure my knee problems. And alleviate global hunger.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    I dunno, the frameset says “electronic cable routing only.”

I want one. In green and gold. It will cure my knee problems. And alleviate global hunger.
    Hahahah....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    anyone watching Giro 2020? It's been a wet and rainy race so far.
    The guys on rim brakes have absolutely no issue keeping up with the guys on disc, in wet and rainy condition, on descents. Shouldn't the disc guys have dropped the rim brake guys???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    anyone watching Giro 2020? It's been a wet and rainy race so far.
    The guys on rim brakes have absolutely no issue keeping up with the guys on disc, in wet and rainy condition, on descents. Shouldn't the disc guys have dropped the rim brake guys???
    I am. I don't really understand those claims either. Look, a lot of us have been chatting in here for a while. Not that long ago, we were all on rim brakes and I don't recall there being many posts or threads about being terrified that we couldn't stop on descents. We were riding around just like we are now, climbing and descending having a grand old time as far as I can tell.

Yes, disc brakes typically offer more stopping power and better modulation. Yes, that increase in performance comes with a weight penalty. Yes, you can probably stop just fine on most descents and situations without disc brakes and could reasonably spend your whole life riding and never feel like you needed them. Yes, discs can be really nice in wet weather. No, you don't have to have them to ride a bike at a high level or to go on really challenging rides.

It really just comes down to your preferences and what your goals are (light weight, comfort from wider tires, mixed terrain riding, etc.). Either can be an excellent choice and you are seeing that reflected in the pro peloton.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 3 Days Ago at 09:08 AM.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I am. I don't really understand those claims either. Look, a lot of us have been chatting in here for a while. Not that long ago, we were all on rim brakes and I don't recall there being many posts or threads about being terrified that we couldn't stop on descents. We were riding around just like we are now, climbing and descending having a grand old time as far as I can tell.

Yes, disc brakes typically offer more stopping power and better modulation. Yes, that increase in performance comes with a weight penalty. Yes, you can probably stop just fine on most descents and situations without disc brakes and could reasonable spend your whole life riding and never feel like you needed them. Yes, discs can be really nice in wet weather. No, you don't have to have them to ride a bike at a high level or to go on really challenging rides.

It really just comes down to your preferences and what your goals are (light weight, comfort from wider tires, mixed terrain riding, etc.). Either can be an excellent choice and you are seeing that reflected in the pro peloton.
    Very well put. We should argue about chain lube instead.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Very well put. We should argue about chain lube instead.
    Thanks! Start the thread and I am in lol!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not that long ago, we were all on rim brakes and I don't recall there being many posts or threads about being terrified that we couldn't stop on descents. We were riding around just like we are now, climbing and descending having a grand old time as far as I can tell.
    To me the game changer was going from aluminum to carbon rims. Even after upgrading the cork pads I still want more out of my brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    To me the game changer was going from aluminum to carbon rims. Even after upgrading the cork pads I still want more out of my brakes.
    That is absolutely a legitimate thing to consider. You really have to thing through how you feel about using different brake types on different wheel types in different conditions. It's a completely subjective choice, but different strokes for different folks on that for sure. Your wheels are also probably going to last you longer with disc brakes since you aren't relying on a braking surface on the wheel and can just replace rotors when you need to.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Thanks! Start the thread and I am in lol!
    Done!

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/ge...ml#post5463023

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    The Specialized Aethos.... 585 grams, are you kidding me?!?! $5200 for a frameset, are you kidding me?!?!

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/aethos
    Yeah that is insane.
    I have $3000 into my 2017 Wilier Zero7 with Reynolds 46 Aero wheels and it comes in at 6.4kg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123