Colnago Tecnos Art Decor Bike Build
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2019

Colnago Tecnos Art Decor Bike Build

Have found myself a Colnago Tecnos frame circa 1997 with Precisa steel fork. All in first class condition.

Want to build the bike as a project. Have been cycling for over 40 years but this will be my first attempt at building a bike from frame and forks up. Any thoughts on specification? I have an up to date modern road bike so not concerned about making this into a modern version of the Colnago. I want to replicate the era the frame was built. Such as Groupset being Campagnolo Record 9 spd?

Any thoughts on headset, wheels, seat post and saddle etc....

Anybody advise on Colnago spec of the time?

5A9E65E6-BC6B-46CB-AA53-7348B07FFE07.jpg
    Last edited by Coast; 05-05-2019 at 10:34 AM.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    There was no Super Record 9, only Record.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Spectacular frame. Maybe my favorite paint job of all time. As for fitting it out, I'm not completely sure of Ernesto's mindset at the time of that frame, but I believe he had some sort of feud going with Campagnolo and was building his machines with Dura Ace.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2019
    That’s interesting. I have seen a few photos on the net with the frames fitted with Dura Ace but also with Campagnolo groupsets too. Mix of Campagnolo, ITM, 3ttt and Colnago branded components for seatposts, bars and stems. Campagnolo Shamal, Ambrosia wheels and seems par for the course the majority of saddles being San Marco or Selle Italia.

Probably a result of frames being bought and made up to owners individual preferences.

Does anyone know what the “standard” spec of a finished bike from Colnago if such an option existed?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coast View Post
    That’s interesting. I have seen a few photos on the net with the frames fitted with Dura Ace but also with Campagnolo groupsets too. Mix of Campagnolo, ITM, 3ttt and Colnago branded components for seatposts, bars and stems. Campagnolo Shamal, Ambrosia wheels and seems par for the course the majority of saddles being San Marco or Selle Italia.

Probably a result of frames being bought and made up to owners individual preferences.

Does anyone know what the “standard” spec of a finished bike from Colnago if such an option existed?
    No such thing as far I can remember.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I bought a C-40 back in 2000 (2001 model). Back then Colnago had some feud going with Campy. All Colnagos of that era were dressed in Shimano components. That would be Dura Ace 7700 for that bike. That was a good group. I had a couple bikes (including my C-40) with 7700 components on them. Frankly, I don't think I'd seek out an old Dura Ace group for that frame. Campy used to make a nice looking polished Athena group that I bought an put on an Eddy Merckx frame from the era (I think its a 1996). I had some custom wheels built that looked a bit like Campy Shamals of that era. Looks real sharp IMO. Sadly, they quit making it, and finding those parts would be overly expensive. A few years later, I bought a Colnago Arabesque frame -- basically a Master with fancy lug work. I put 11-speed Campy Chorus on it. I'm happy with it. The older components do look nice, but the newer stuff functions better. I don't miss down tube shifters.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Have found myself a Colnago Tecnos frame circa 1997 with Precisa steel fork. All in first class condition.

Want to build the bike as a project. Have been cycling for over 40 years but this will be my first attempt at building a bike from frame and forks up. Any thoughts on specification? I have an up to date modern road bike so not concerned about making this into a modern version of the Colnago. I want to replicate the era the frame was built. Such as Groupset being Campagnolo Record 9 spd?

Any thoughts on headset, wheels, seat post and saddle etc....

Anybody advise on Colnago spec of the time?

5A9E65E6-BC6B-46CB-AA53-7348B07FFE07.jpg
    Great find! I think it would be wrong to put any carbon bits on there. Campy silver group (of course). Ritchie still makes a classic looking silver aluminum cars bar and seat post. There are still some options left for silver rims

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2019
    I understand that a newer groupset would probably function better. I want to build something different to the other bikes I ride; Domane 6.9 with Dura Ace Di2 11 spd and Domane 5.3 with Ultegra 10spd. I think I’ll look down the Campagnolo Route; centaur 10spd I have found in alloy finish.

Got an option on some fairly clean Campagnolo Shamal titanium wheels 12 HPW which I think will compliment the bike.

The Ritchey avenue is a good call to look into for new alloy bars and finishing kit although there is plenty of used on eBay from the era but some of it is so expensive; £100+ for a Colnago Campagnolo Seat Post!

Meeds thinking through nut the advice is useful and appreciated. Thank you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I bought a C-40 back in 2000 (2001 model). Back then Colnago had some feud going with Campy. All Colnagos of that era were dressed in Shimano components. That would be Dura Ace 7700 for that bike. That was a good group. I had a couple bikes (including my C-40) with 7700 components on them. Frankly, I don't think I'd seek out an old Dura Ace group for that frame. Campy used to make a nice looking polished Athena group that I bought an put on an Eddy Merckx frame from the era (I think its a 1996). I had some custom wheels built that looked a bit like Campy Shamals of that era. Looks real sharp IMO. Sadly, they quit making it, and finding those parts would be overly expensive. A few years later, I bought a Colnago Arabesque frame -- basically a Master with fancy lug work. I put 11-speed Campy Chorus on it. I'm happy with it. The older components do look nice, but the newer stuff functions better. I don't miss down tube shifters.
    The Eddy Merckx looks very nice and the sort of look I want to go with on the Colnago. Although alloy quill stem and bars for me 😊

RoadBikeReview Member
    My first Tecnos came with Record 8 speed. Looked the tits but didn't work all that great. Second Tecnos came with Chorus 9 speed. Worked well but boy did that aluminum oxidize quickly. My third came with an Ultegra 6500 triple.

I still have all three but the second is more or less my daily driver. Chorus 11 and handbuilt carbon tubulars. The first has to make do with 10S Record....

Alleged "Campy fanboy" and "Einstein".

Devoid of all flim-flam
    As to the Campy/Shimano controversy, you could buy any groupset at that time for your Nago. It was only the pro team Nags that were Shimmy. Me and Sogno got our year 2000 Colnago Dreams (her's yellow Art Decor, mine Mapei) with Campy Chorus Ten, Cinelli bars & stems and, of course, the saddles me and she were most comfortable with.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2019
    Thank you for posting and the photos of the bikes are very helpful. They both look fabulous. Gives me some thoughts on where to go with the groupset. I still like the Alloy look right through. The alloy seat post, quill stem and bars definitely give the retro look. I also like the white saddle and tape.
    There appears to be some 10spd Chorus kit around in alloy finish so maybe that’s the way to go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, the Chorus steel seatpost and Pro Chrome steel quill stem on the yellow Tecnos looks pretty good to me too Croce d' Aune seatpost on my purple Tecnos has been replaced with a Dura Ace 7400 after the picture was taken.

I still have an all alloy Chorus 10 groupset stashed away that I could be persuaded to part with b.t.w.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The Eddy Merckx looks very nice and the sort of look I want to go with on the Colnago. Although alloy quill stem and bars for me 
    I bought that frame off a guy on ebay. He'd had it repainted. It had a threadless carbon fork painted to match the frame -- so the quill stem wasn't an option. I think the respray and carbon fork kept the Eddy purists away. It looked brand new when I got it. Its a Corsa with Deda zero uno tubes.

I like it so much, I bought this as a back up (it has a chrome threaded fork). All I wanted was the frame, but the Belgian guy selling it insisted on a complete bike (sans wheels). It had a nice looking 10-speed Veloce group that I took off and cleaned up. Quill stem, nice Chorus 'aero' seat post. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. Almost too pretty to sell. I wish Campy would make a retro polished group set. Guess the market isn't there for it.

Definitely put Campy on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I wish Campy would make a retro polished group set. Guess the market isn't there for it.
    I wonder. Lots of retro-grouches out there building up steel bikes are pining for a nice polished group. Not a huge market, but maybe enough to make it viable. I have the Silver Potenza group and the crank is very "industrial" looking. Works well, but ugly

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I wonder. Lots of retro-grouches out there building up steel bikes are pining for a nice polished group. Not a huge market, but maybe enough to make it viable. I have the Silver Potenza group and the crank is very "industrial" looking. Works well, but ugly
    Yeah, Campy really uglified their cranks. When they went from version 1 11-speed to version 2 11-speed, the cranks went from a nice traditional look to the Shimano Star Wars look. The Athena group they did for a couple years came the closest to a retro looking group, but it only lasted a few years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackers View Post
    I still have an all alloy Chorus 10 groupset stashed away that I could be persuaded to part with b.t.w.
    If condition and price was right i’d certainly be interested in looking at this if you decide to sell. 😊

RoadBikeReview Member
    Put it up in the classifieds.