Conversion

Thread: Conversion

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020

Question Conversion

Hey all,

might be a silly question but I have a Specialized TriCross Comp with drops. Iím getting older and my back is having a hard time.
    Anyone with experience with converting to a flatbar? Or something more upright?
    I love the disk brakes, 2x10, geometry, etc with this bike and would hate to get rid of it.

Also, does anyone know how wide a tire I could put on this bike.

help appreciated.
    Last edited by DonMc; 02-27-2020 at 05:21 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Why don't you just measure it?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020
    Lol I did but but not sure how much clearance I should allow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Hybrids are pretty cheap. If that's what you really want probably best to just buy one.

If you want more upright that's where new stems and spacers do the trick. Also maybe look into some of these new fangled bars marketed towards gravel riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020
    Would you know any of those new tangled ones by brand?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMc View Post
    Jeez, you can't manage a google search on your own?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Jeez, you can't manage a google search on your own?
    Crap and I thought this was a friendly place. Anyone can google. I was googling as a beta tester for google 20 years ago. How about you?
    I was looking for a recommendation not a confrontation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    If your back issues are long term/permanent (i.e. arthritis, degenerative discs, etc...) you should probably just look for a bike with a higher stack and perhaps a shorter top tube.
    Last edited by Finx; 02-27-2020 at 01:51 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Okay it will be evident that I donít know what I am talking about. With that, I would check to see what diameter bars you currently have (what size your stem accommodates). Currently you are probable spending most of your time resting on the hoods and a flat bar would be like you are on the tops. If that is okay with you and solves your back issues, then I would just replace your bars with straight bars. If you want higher, then you need to decide how high you want to go. You may just add spacers under your current stem or you may need to get a new fork and not cut the steering tube to get more height. This all depends on what you need and your current setup.
    Keep in mind that you will need new shifters and brake levers as well. There may be an issue with going from road shifters to mtb shifters but I think the cable pull will be the same.
    Have you gone to your LBS to get their input?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020
    Great suggestions....thatís what I was hoping to receive. As far as LBS, I live 90 miles away from the nearest one hence I decided to go to the experts here.

thanks for this, helped.
    Last edited by DonMc; 02-27-2020 at 02:01 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Salsa Cowchipper is an example. They are still road bars that take road shifters (unlike flat bars) but have a shorter than normal reach and drop. Google "gravel handlebars". Not sure who else makes them but I see a lot of them at gravel rides now so I assume lots of companies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020
    Thanks for this.

What the what???
    Keep your bars... change your stem...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020
    Wow. Even better. Thanks.

xxl
    I've done a few conversions of the sort you're after, and this outfit has a number of bar, stem, brake, and shifter options: https://velo-orange.com/

(Jay Strongbow posted a pic of one of the stems VO offers).

I really like their "Porteur" bars.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. Iím fód.Ē

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Hey all,

might be a silly question but I have a Specialized TriCross Comp with drops. Iím getting older and my back is having a hard time.
    I love the disk brakes, 2x10, geometry, etc with this bike and would hate to get rid of it.

help appreciated.
    I know nothing about your fitness, flexibility, or age, but have you considered exercises/physical therapy instead of changing the bike? Yoga has done great things for me to prevent the stiffening of aging. Likewise core exercises are really good at preventing back issues. Something to think about instead of riding in a less efficient position on the bke.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Yea, and they make stems that have a rotating part that is adjustable up/dn. I installed one on my 7 for my brother when he was visiting we wanted to ride. He is about 3" taller than me, but I can still pin him!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member

Cool

Hey all,

help appreciated.
    Not silly at all, you will need a new taller stem, bar, brakes, shifters and likely a front derailleur, you will love it... I'm running 25s, I have run 28's...

I bought my wife a Giant Dash, she loved it, and it was geared very nicely for the black top we ride most of the time...

For me, its a big help seeing traffic, yet it will still handle nicely and be very fast....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    DonMc... Can I ask how old you are? Do you do regular stretching and core exercises?

I ask because there are likely two ways to approach the back pain issue... one is to do nothing about the back issue and keep changing the bike, while the other is to work on your flexibility and core strength so your back works and feels better on and off the bike. (Note that I'm assuming you are like the average American that has lower back pain as the result of lifestyle choices and not some back injury or defect.) The reality is that almost everyone has lower back pain from sitting too much, bad posture, lack of core strength, and lack of flexibility.... I count myself in that group.

I'm currently 46 years old and it wasn't until this last year that I started to get serious about stretching and core strength. I've been cycling since I was in my early teens and remember having severe lower back pain after a ride even back then. I was probably a goofy looking kid with really strong legs and virtually no upper body strength or flexibility. I loved cycling but not stretching or working out, so I just did the cycling.

I now do a few minutes of stretching every morning and alternate my daily workouts between cycling and upper body workouts using a "7 minute workout" app (no weights, just using my own body as the weight). It's taking a long time to get some results, but I'm seeing results and my lower back feels better in general, on and off the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lol I did but but not sure how much clearance I should allow.
    a few millimeters on either side should be plenty
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

Banned Sock Puppet
    Don,

There are a few relatively low-cost ways to get more upright.

1) Tilt your bars up from where you are. Cost - $0

2) Get a more upright stem:

https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...yABEgLwZ_D_BwE

https://www.brandscycle.com/product/...SABEgKQl_D_BwE

Cost - $35 + shipping.

Depending on how long your brake and shifter cables are, you may or may not have to replace them:

Shifter cable & housing set - $25.99 + shipping:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Du...iABEgJKS_D_BwE

Brake cable & housing set - $11.69 + shipping:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...CABEgIMB_D_BwE

P.S. Don't mind CXWrench. He's grumpy when his aches and pains are acting up.
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.