Cutting down a Madone seat tube
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

Cutting down a Madone seat tube

Let me preface this by saying I bought a used 2011 Madone 5.2 frame on craigslist for $550. It is probably a little big for me, but I couldn't refuse the price.

Has anyone cut a seat tube down on one of these? I'm not a fan of the seat tube, seat mast on these and I'd like to cut it down .5cm at the most to fit me better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I fail to see how buying a bike that is the wrong size for any price is a "good deal".

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by williamf777 View Post
    I fail to see how buying a bike that is the wrong size for any price is a "good deal".
    seriously...why would you buy a frame that doesn't fit? i guess if 'close enough' works...
    to answer the OP's question, yeah, i guess you could cut 5mm off the mast and be fine. as long as the cap you have will go down that far.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    seriously...why would you buy a frame that doesn't fit? i guess if 'close enough' works...
    The entire bike industry has embraced the "close enough" theory of bike fit. That's why bikes are now sold in the same sizes as t-shirts.

5 mm is nothing. It's not like you are going to buy a used bike with a ISM and expect that it was cut to exactly the size you need.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by williamf777 View Post
    The only reason I say it's a little big for me is that I prefer to run a longer stem. The standover height is perfect. If the frame had the traditional seat post set up I would have no issues with the sizing whatsoever.

I was able to build up a full Ultegra Madone for $1700, thanks to the price of the frame and wheel and sprocket on ebay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Any frame that allows for your proper relative positioning of the crank, saddle and bars with reasonable selection and adjustment of seatpost, stem, etc.. is a correct size.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Are you talking about cutting the seat tube mast or the seat "post"? If the post, why not just get the smaller sized(correct) one? If the "mast", I believe the smaller posts already go down to where the tube flares. If you need a smaller than existing post, set lower than the frame will allow stock, I have to believe you're way off the chart fit wise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mpcbike View Post
    Are you talking about cutting the seat tube mast or the seat "post"? If the post, why not just get the smaller sized(correct) one? If the "mast", I believe the smaller posts already go down to where the tube flares. If you need a smaller than existing post, set lower than the frame will allow stock, I have to believe you're way off the chart fit wise.
    The mast is fine, the seat tube on the Madones go inside the mast so they are extented above the top tube. In order for me to get to the position I want I need to cut the seat tube down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    You do not, I repeat DO NOT cut the seat tube/mast on Madones. The caps come in two lengths - 120mm and 160mm for the 2008 aero type and 135mm and 175mm for the current round type.

If you have the shorter of the two caps and it is "topping out" on seat mast, you have a frame that doesn't fit.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by zindog View Post
    The only reason I say it's a little big for me is that I prefer to run a longer stem. The standover height is perfect. If the frame had the traditional seat post set up I would have no issues with the sizing whatsoever.

I was able to build up a full Ultegra Madone for $1700, thanks to the price of the frame and wheel and sprocket on ebay.
    what do you mean 'perfect'? this has nothing to do w/ how the bike fits when you're riding it. you could look at many different frames w/ the same stack/reach, and they'd all have different standover heights. which one would you pick?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
    I'm weighing whether to cut off 5 mm of my "new" used bike's seat mast as well. I'm going to install my new saddle first (when it comes in) to see if that incidentally lowers me enough. It's firmer so it may actually raise me a tad. I already have the SG 7.2 saw guide so I'm ready after the saddle test.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    [QUOTE]
    The mast is fine, the seat tube on the Madones go inside the mast so they are extented above the top tube. In order for me to get to the position I want I need to cut the seat tube down.

STOP NOW! There is no reason that I can conceive of why you would or should ever need to cut off seat tube on a Madone. Again, if you need to for fit reasons, the frame size cannot be close to correct. Will you get away with a 5mm cut, likely, but I am very familiar with these frames and have never seen a single person come close to needing to cut anything for fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    [QUOTE=mpcbike;3816520]

STOP NOW! There is no reason that I can conceive of why you would or should ever need to cut off seat tube on a Madone. Again, if you need to for fit reasons, the frame size cannot be close to correct. Will you get away with a 5mm cut, likely, but I am very familiar with these frames and have never seen a single person come close to needing to cut anything for fit.
    That's all I needed to hear. Thanks for the input to you and Richard.