defective supersix evo frame?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014

defective supersix evo frame?

I just bought a new 2014 supersix evo from dealer and found chain stay clearance issues and wheel centering issues. This was more evident going to 25mm tires. There is only 1mm clerance on drive side where tire comes near chain stay. On non drive side there are about 4mm clearance. The wheels is fully seated in dropouts. I thought it may be a wheel dish problem so i flipped the wheel around backward and same issue with clearance on same side. I figured if it was a wheel dish problem the clerance issue would be evident on the other side but it wasnt. Do you think this is a manufacturer defect on the frame? If i ride it this way it will surely rub and i dont want to use 23mm tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by hernluis View Post
    I just bought a new 2014 supersix evo from dealer and found chain stay clearance issues and wheel centering issues. This was more evident going to 25mm tires. There is only 1mm clerance on drive side where tire comes near chain stay.
    25mm tires do not work well on the EVO frame, as you have discovered. It's not a defect. It's intrinsic to the design of the frame. I know this from having owned a 2014 SuperSix EVO HiMod (great frame BTW).

Either use 23mm tires or buy a different frame.
    Last edited by tvad; 06-10-2015 at 12:47 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd be taking it back. Have read of this problem before.

@tvad's response is correct in the sense that 25mm tires can be tight. I had to use Conti's rather than Mitch. But the clearance issue was at the seat tube. I'd still say that a wheel should be centered.
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 06-10-2015 at 12:47 PM.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

fu
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    25mm tires do not work well on the EVO frame, as you have discovered. It's not a defect. It's intrinsic to the design of the frame.

I believe this is the case. It's not a defect.
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Take it back to your dealer. It's a known defect on the EVO. I know two people who had the same problem on their '14 EVO's. Both got a new '15 EVO Hi-Mod as replacement.
    Cannondale knows of the problem and are good about taking care of it.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    25mm tires do not work well on the EVO frame, as you have discovered. It's not a defect. It's intrinsic to the design of the frame. I know this from having owned a 2014 SuperSix EVO HiMod (great frame BTW).

Really?? That can't be, can it? Wheel not in the center by design?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Really?? That can't be, can it? Wheel not in the center by design?
    The wheel was always centered in my frame (verified where the seat stays meet the seat tube), but there's not enough clearance where the chain stays narrow toward the seat tube for a 25mm tire (especially on the drive side, as the OP stated).

BTW, it's pretty easy to mistakenly install a wheel so it's not centered. Loosen the skewer, center the wheel (check the centering at the seat stay/seat tube), and re-tighten the skewer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    The wheel was always centered in my frame (verified where the seat stays meet the seat tube), but there's not enough clearance where the chain stays narrow toward the seat tube for a 25mm tire (especially on the drive side, as the OP stated).

BTW, it's pretty easy to mistakenly install a wheel so it's not centered. Loosen the skewer, center the wheel (check the centering at the seat stay/seat tube), and re-tighten the skewer.
    I don't think you can check the centering of the wheel using the seat stays. The wheel could be centered there and the front of the wheel not centered in the chainstays.

I discovered my wheel was not tracking and am currently using shims inside the dropouts to realign, my frame is out of warrenty.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I don't think you can check the centering of the wheel using the seat stays. The wheel could be centered there and the front of the wheel not centered in the chainstays.
    I disagree, but it doesn't really help to further the discussion.

If the issue is a known problem, then the OP should definitely contact his dealer and file a warranty claim.

I had no problems running 23mm tires on my EVO HiMod, and I loved every minute on that frame. Never missed having 25mm tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    There is no practical reason to have varying left/right chainstay clearance. Tire clearance between the chainstays should be equal on both sides. While it's true that the clearance variation SHOULD have nothing to do with frame alignment as the inside of the chainstays is not a reference point, in reality due to the expected symmetrical spacing of the wheel vs. the inside of the chainstays, the only explanation is a defective frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    I called my dealer and man i am regretting buying the bike there. They tried to convince me that the frame is made that way and that it might be a wheel dish problem. They offered to look at the frame and "redish" the wheel. I asked if they would replace my carbon rear wheel when it failed due to improper dish and they said nothing and to just bring the bike in. Sucks because they are four hours away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I called my dealer and man i am regretting buying the bike there. They tried to convince me that the frame is made that way and that it might be a wheel dish problem. They offered to look at the frame and "redish" the wheel. I asked if they would replace my carbon rear wheel when it failed due to improper dish and they said nothing and to just bring the bike in. Sucks because they are four hours away.
    Seems to me that if this is a known problem that Cannondale is dealing with by exchanging for new frames, then the dealer would be able to contact Cannondale to get the official policy.

On the other hand, you could contact Cannondale yourself and explain the situation.

Either way, if this indeed a known issue, then there's a policy in place, and it's simply a matter of speaking to the right person to address it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Interesting. I don't have any problems running 25s on my 2014 Evo with one exception: earlier this year I must have hit some potholes too hard on a ride and the wheel went severely out of true and because of that I got a slight amount of rubbing on the drive side chain stay. Once the wheel was trued, no issues. I've never measured but the wheel appears to be perfectly centered.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I just built up a 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod Di2 50cm. I have a Ritchey "25mm" tire on a BHS C22t rim that's 24mm wide. The tire measured to be 27mm using digital calipers. I tried to measure the space between the stays, but it's kinda hard to get in there. Eye-balling it I'm guessing about 1.5mm. The right and left do look slightly different but I think my rear might be dished just a smidge incorrectly. I saw that the shop I had built it use the Park Tool WAG-5 which I've found to be inaccurate before. It's also pretty hard to eye-ball this stuff because the gears create some optical illusions that make things look not symmetric. If I have time tomorrow I'll check the dish and report back.

But there should be no real issue running 25mm tires on this frame. What rims do you have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Trek Crockett chain stays are tighter on the DS than NDS too, and from looking at it and pictures of others, I believe that is by design. Of course it's got a lot more tire clearance, I have a 40mm rear on it now and it's tighter than I would want in muddy terrain on the DS, but fine for hard pack / gravel etc.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Insist that the dealer talks to the Cannondale Rep. Or find another dealer. Or contact Cannondale yourself.

The Cannondale Rep didn't even blink an eye at replacing my friends EVO.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Insist that the dealer talks to the Cannondale Rep. Or find another dealer. Or contact Cannondale yourself.

The Cannondale Rep didn't even blink an eye at replacing my friends EVO.
    Do you know how much it was off by?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deviousalex View Post
    Do you know how much it was off by?
    No. Just that they both had rubbing with 25's and 23's. According to the rep the issue was the dropouts and not the chainstays.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I checked the dish of the wheel by using another wheel and it seems fine (brakes don't need adjustment and are centered properly), although it does appear the wheels is slightly more to the drive side. Maybe 0.5mm or so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Here is a picture. Really hard to get a good photo and even harder to get calipers in there. Ill try to get a better pic tonight.20150612_071241.jpg
    Last edited by hernluis; 06-12-2015 at 09:31 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    What I used to determine centering is the drill end of a wood bit. They have hex heads and one can visually judge the extent of depth the flat part can be extended up between the brake track and the chainstay. You can also keep your hand out of the way if you want to spin the wheel.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here is a picture. Really hard to get a good photo and even harder to get calipers in there. Ill try to get a better pic tonight.
    Can you get a picture of both the chain stay and the seat stay? If the wheel is on the same place on both, it might just be a matter of how the wheel is put on. If the wheel is in different places on both, then it's more likely a manufacturing defect.

GH

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    new update.

I as able to take the bike to the shop I bought it at for them to take a look. I spoke to the guy who initially sold it to me and he had the hardest time seeing what the problem was. Totally denied any issue with the bike. Looked at it and was like "yep its the wheel, I can tell totally by looking at it that its not the frame" took the wheel off which was perfectly dished and said it was a little off. He "redished" it and the problem was worse. Completely denied any issue. By this time we were arguing and he was throwing his arms up and was getting really upset. I practically made him take photos and call cannondale. He even said "we are not going to warranty this". He was a total d bag. Every other supersix in the store has perfectly centered rear wheels. he would not even look at another bike. one week later cannondale wants to warranty the frame!!! Eat you words crappy mechanix!!!

I initially bought a 2014 supersix evo racing edition, ultegra
    option 1: replace with a new whole bike 2015 model in red ultegra (does not exist on website)
    option 2: supersix evo frame, team replica color. Year not known and i would pay to switch components over. honesty I would switch components over myself.

what do I do?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I'd go with option 1. Did you manage to get better pics? I want to see how off the wheel is.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    new update.

I as able to take the bike to the shop I bought it at for them to take a look. I spoke to the guy who initially sold it to me and he had the hardest time seeing what the problem was. Totally denied any issue with the bike. Looked at it and was like "yep its the wheel, I can tell totally by looking at it that its not the frame" took the wheel off which was perfectly dished and said it was a little off. He "redished" it and the problem was worse. Completely denied any issue. By this time we were arguing and he was throwing his arms up and was getting really upset. I practically made him take photos and call cannondale. He even said "we are not going to warranty this". He was a total d bag. Every other supersix in the store has perfectly centered rear wheels. he would not even look at another bike.
    Wow what a d!ck. I can't fathom why he'd care to fight so hard. The new frame is paid for by Cannondale and the customer pays to swap components. Yet he'd spend the time to redish a wheel.

one week later cannondale wants to warranty the frame!!! Eat you words crappy mechanix!!!
    Told you that's what would happen once Cannondale got involved. I would contact Cannondale and explain how terrible the LBS treated you. And I would look for a new LBS.

I initially bought a 2014 supersix evo racing edition, ultegra
    option 1: replace with a new whole bike 2015 model in red ultegra (does not exist on website)
    option 2: supersix evo frame, team replica color. Year not known and i would pay to switch components over. honesty I would switch components over myself.

what do I do?
    That's a tough one. Not sure which I'd choose. I'd really want to know what year frame option 2 was.
    I don't think they'll let you swap the components, nor would you want to as then you'd potentially be to blame for future warranty issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast