Endurance Bike

Thread: Endurance Bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

Endurance Bike

I am looking for a new bike. I currently ride a 2010 Trek 1.5. I ride 5x a week for a weekly total of about 90 - 150 miles.

I am a bigger guy (240) and plan to stay between 220 & 240. I am looking for something that rides a little more comfortable, with better components (105 or better).

I have been looking around and it looks like an older Domane (2013 - 2015) and new Domane AL are in the range I am looking at.

Is it better to get an older CF one with the ISO features or go with a more modern aluminum version? I am open, but it seems the Domane suits the bill pretty well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hammis View Post
    I am looking for a new bike. I currently ride a 2010 Trek 1.5. I ride 5x a week for a weekly total of about 90 - 150 miles.

I am a bigger guy (240) and plan to stay between 220 & 240. I am looking for something that rides a little more comfortable, with better components (105 or better).

I have been looking around and it looks like an older Domane (2013 - 2015) and new Domane AL are in the range I am looking at.

Is it better to get an older CF one with the ISO features or go with a more modern aluminum version? I am open, but it seems the Domane suits the bill pretty well.
    If the CF is in good shape I would go that route before an aluminum version - the ride will be better. I do think a Domane is a good choice for an endurance bike. I have had one since they came out and love it, lots of miles on it too.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a 2013 Project One Domane, and the ride is great.
    I'm 150 lbs, and I have a 52cm frame.
    The first generation Domane frames are lighter than the newer ones, but don't have a front Isospeed.
    At least I'm enjoying the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Thank you both for your responses. It seems I am on the right track.

One other question. Did you both go with the same size in the Domane as you did in a traditional road bike? I ride a 60cm in my current bike.

RoadBikeReview Member

Subframe

I was between sizes on the Domane (56 and 58)and went with the larger for the higher stack height and because it came with 175 mm cranks where the 56 came with 172.5 crank which I don't care for. Going with the larger was also the recommendation of the shop, it was my first road bike as an adult. Other bikes I have are 56's but I could have gone with 58s for them and they would have been good fits, but I built them from frame up so I could pick the components. I would look at the reach and stack and compare them to your current or other bikes to get a feel for how they compare from a fit standpoint. Also, find out how much room you have for spacers under the stem of a used Domane vs what you have on your current bike to make sure the actual bar height you want will be possible.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the advice. I will have to do my homework.

Banned Sock Puppet
    If you are looking for something that rides more comfortable, look no further than YOUR TIRES as in a bike that can take WIDER TIRES. As far as comfort goes, all other variables will give you negligible improvement in comparison.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    If you are looking for something that rides more comfortable, look no further than YOUR TIRES as in a bike that can take WIDER TIRES. As far as comfort goes, all other variables will give you negligible improvement in comparison.
    That is one of the drivers to go to one of these types of bikes. My current bike is limited to 25c. These newer endurance bikes seem to be able to take at least 28c, with some allowing 30c or 32c.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    That is one of the drivers to go to one of these types of bikes. My current bike is limited to 25c. These newer endurance bikes seem to be able to take at least 28c, with some allowing 30c or 32c.
    FWIW, my 2017 Domane came with 32c tires and I continued that setup for three seasons. This year I decide to to try 28s. 28s are plenty comfortable, if noticeably less so than 32s.

Yesterday, on a long descent with some junk fallen from gravel trucks throughout, i really longed for the 32s. 32c gives me a lot more confidence in any corner, especially when the footing is iffy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    FWIW, my 2017 Domane came with 32c tires and I continued that setup for three seasons. This year I decide to to try 28s. 28s are plenty comfortable, if noticeably less so than 32s.

Yesterday, on a long descent with some junk fallen from gravel trucks throughout, i really longed for the 32s. 32c gives me a lot more confidence in any corner, especially when the footing is iffy.
    Thanks for sharing this experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I had a 2018 (I think, may have been a 2019) Domane SL5 as well and they are great bikes. They are not the lightest, but it doesn’t sound like you are really looking for that. Like others have said, they are plenty comfortable and great for racking up mileage. I would spend a little more and go new carbon if you can afford it, if not, the aluminum will be fine with wider tires. The updated Specialized Roubaix, brand new Cervelo Caledonia and the new Giant Defy are other easy to find models I think might interest you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I ended up going with an SL5. It was exactly what I wanted and was pretty much the last road bike they had in the store.

I have only had it a week, but I love it so far. It fits me perfectly, and I feel super comfortable in it for the 5 or so rides I have done. The longest was 30 miles.

Now, putting my other bike on Facebook marketplace is another story. I felt like a steak in a tiger cage. I had 30 people in line in 10 minutes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Awesome! Congrats man. Post some pics when you can.