Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Neophyte
    Always great when OP comes back to update the thread... but you've got at least one more post to go... pictures when it comes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Always great when OP comes back to update the thread... but you've got at least one more post to go... pictures when it comes!
    I will definitely get some pics up! It was on back order, but I should have it in another week or so....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Here it is! Iíve got 200 brutal miles on it trying to find the right saddle. The stock seat was far to narrow and put a lot of pressure on my soft tissue. Folks Iím having a REALLY hard time finding the right saddle. Iíve tried over 30 saddles and two professional fits. Iím really getting discouraged. Please help!

Neophyte
    It's hard to get Internet help on a saddle, fit is really personal. Besides changing seats over and over, consider whether your shorts/bibs are part of the problem. Also, when you're just getting started there is going to be some unavoidable pain and adjustment...

PS There it is! Nice pic! BTW I found it a worthy investment to get the CycleOps front wheel stand when riding in trainer.
    Last edited by jetdog9; 09-25-2018 at 11:23 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have you tried the Selle Anatomica? I know everyone is different, but that has nearly eliminated any numbness for me.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PontiacHP View Post
    Iíve tried over 30 saddles and two professional fits.
    What do the "professionals" tell you? I'd think they'd have far more usable info than a bunch of anonymous people on the interwebs.

Iíve got 200 brutal miles on it trying to find the right saddle.
    I'm having a hard time understanding how you've actually tested 30 saddles with only 200 miles. That only 6.6mi per saddle.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Let me just clarify that if it's nothing more than your sit bones hurting, that will go away or becone less with more and longer rides.

However, numbness is a serious issue and should not be ignored.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Might try dropping the front of the saddle, I would about 1/4" for sure.

I changed to a more flatter saddle, still with cutout, and like it better than those 'saddle' saddles with a drop in the middle. You can move around a lot more.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here it is! Iíve got 200 brutal miles on it trying to find the right saddle. The stock seat was far to narrow and put a lot of pressure on my soft tissue. Folks Iím having a REALLY hard time finding the right saddle.
    Nice bike, when you say soft tissue are you talking about the twig and berries or butt cheeks? That 200 miles was in how many days and what mileage had you done before that period? And the next question, road miles or trainer miles? Okay one more question, do you have a pic of the bike on a level surface from the side? If yes, please upload it. cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    It's hard to get Internet help on a saddle, fit is really personal. Besides changing seats over and over, consider whether your shorts/bibs are part of the problem. Also, when you're just getting started there is going to be some unavoidable pain and adjustment...

PS There it is! Nice pic! BTW I found it a worthy investment to get the CycleOps front wheel stand when riding in trainer.
    Thanks for the reply. I get that the saddle is a very subjective and personal issue. But after trying so many, I wonder if it has to do with how Im sitting on the seat. I feel like my hips are rotated forward putting pressure on the soft part behind the berries. I just dont know how to correct this problem. When I try to rotate back to sit on the sit bones and engage my core to stabilize, it feels so awkward. Im sure I couldnt ride more than a few minuets like that..

Yep the front wheel block is sure to come. This was just a quick setup to get me going..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Have you tried the Selle Anatomica? I know everyone is different, but that has nearly eliminated any numbness for me.
    Thanks for the info bud. I havenít tried it yet, but Iíll be sure to give it a try.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Nice bike, when you say soft tissue are you talking about the twig and berries or butt cheeks? That 200 miles was in how many days and what mileage had you done before that period? And the next question, road miles or trainer miles? Okay one more question, do you have a pic of the bike on a level surface from the side? If yes, please upload it. cheers
    thanks for the reply. By soft tissue I mean right behind the berries, in the middle. I am relatively new to cycling, I had a flat bar hybrid bike that I put about 500mi on before I bought this bike. The 200 miles Iíve got on the new bike was mostly road miles. Iíve been swapping saddles and trying them out on the trainer. But when I find one thatís close, Iíll go for an hour or two on the road..

RoadBikeReview Member
    I mean right behind the berries, in the middle. I am relatively new to cycling, I had a flat bar hybrid bike that I put about 500mi on before I bought this bike. The 200 miles Iíve got on the new bike was mostly road miles. Iíve been swapping saddles and trying them out on the trainer. But when I find one thatís close, Iíll go for an hour or two on the road..
    Might pay to go back to the original saddle and then take a week off the bike. Tender bits need a bit of a rest to recover (is the pain from pressure on the perineum or friction/rubbing?). How old r u and what is you level of fitness in terms of weight, core strength and flexibility? These are things your fitter would have asked I'm sure but just for a bit of background. What saddle did you have on the hybrid bike? have you still got it? I'm thinking that you may have quite an extreme change in reach and drop between the two bikes. Are you riding on the tops, hoods or drops on the new bike? Hopefully your fitter took all this into consideration, That side profile pic, any chance of one? Don't want you on the bike in the pic. cheers.

Do you still have the old bike? Did it crush your gooch much?
    Last edited by kiwisimon; 09-26-2018 at 05:27 AM.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    What do the "professionals" tell you? I'd think they'd have far more usable info than a bunch of anonymous people on the interwebs.

I'm having a hard time understanding how you've actually tested 30 saddles with only 200 miles. That only 6.6mi per saddle.
    My thoughts exactly. I've been riding road bikes for decades and I don't think I've tried even 10 saddles out in that time. Two 'professional' fits? As in you paid them money twice? I think the bottom line is that you just need to get used to it. Road bike riding is different than riding a hybrid. Just give it some time. I think you're trying to hard to achieve nirvana in the first two weeks. You are wearing padded shorts, right? You know -- those gay looking tight lycra shorts with a chamois.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I've been riding road bikes for decades and I don't think I've tried even 10 saddles out in that time. Two 'professional' fits? As in you paid them money twice?
    Yes this is what I'm wondering. If he paid money for professional fits, he should be going back to them. If he has, what did he tell them about the problem and what did the say?

Or were these "professional" fits just some yahoo in a bike shop eyeballing him and saying "looks good".

thanks for the reply. By soft tissue I mean right behind the berries, in the middle.
    That is called the "perenium".
    I assume you've tried saddles with cut outs?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018

Experienced riders please help..

Out of the two professional fits Iíve had, one was included with the purchase of the bike. The other one I paid for. The one I paid for, I was pretty disappointed with. felt like I was rushed out. The fitter swapped out 15 seats in three hours. The guy kept getting sidetracked and going off to do other things in the shop. I was pretty mad about it to say the least!
    Out of all the saddles Iíve tried some were very obvious right away that they werenít going to work. I have tried saddles with cut outs as well. They do seem to be better.
    I am 6í 165lbs and relatively flexible. Core strength is pretty good I think.
    It seems the common issue amongst all saddles is pressure in the perineum and I think I am sitting on the forward part of my sit bones. This is why I think that my pelvis is tilted too far forward and Iím not really putting the weight on the actual part of the bone that is to bear the weight.
    Last edited by PontiacHP; 09-26-2018 at 07:52 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    https://fitwerx.com/chronic-saddle-d...over-rotation/
    This article Describes it very well. Just doesnít tell you how to correct the issue

Neophyte
    Most Specialized saddles have said cut-outs, as well as many Prologo models. I find that feature important to me. Profile view that has been requested will help people give feedback on saddle able as well as bar vs seat height considerations.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Most Specialized saddles have said cut-outs, as well as many Prologo models. I find that feature important to me. Profile view that has been requested will help people give feedback on saddle able as well as bar vs seat height considerations.
    Iíll get a picture up today after work. Do you want to picture with me on the bike? Or a side view of the bike only?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Iíll get a picture up today after work. Do you want to picture with me on the bike? Or a side view of the bike only?
    Side view of you on the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    yes on the bike. BTW you never said about tops hoods or drops.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    yes on the bike. BTW you never said about tops hoods or drops.
    Iíve tried them all. But I ride Mostly on the hoods. sometimes in the drops, not very often on the tops.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks everyone for helping me with this issue. I really appreciate it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Yes this is what I'm wondering. If he paid money for professional fits, he should be going back to them. If he has, what did he tell them about the problem and what did the say?

Or were these "professional" fits just some yahoo in a bike shop eyeballing him and saying "looks good".

That is called the "perenium".
    I assume you've tried saddles with cut outs?
    I donít want to go back to them as they basically told me I just need to ride some more and keep trying saddles. After reading the article I posted above it seems that there is a fix for my issue rather than just ďdeal with itď

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018
    Been riding a Fizik saddle for 15 years now, decided to replace the old saddle that I had been using for over 14 years with a new one earlier this summer. They don't make the saddle I had before so I went through their Spine Concept Evo to determine what would be a good replacement, gave me 3 recommendations chose the one that I thought would work best for me. Ordered the saddle and it's perfect, actually think it's slightly more comfortable but that may just be in my head.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast