Thread: Factor 02

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Factor 02

Has anyone had an opportunity to try one of these? I am really intrigued by the design process and some of the bikeís features. I decided to pass on getting one for now (went with more of a mixed terrain Domane), but I am still thinking of adding one in the near future.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uiZqERJqr-g

Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Has anyone had an opportunity to try one of these? I am really intrigued by the design process and some of the bikeís features. I decided to pass on getting one for now (went with more of a mixed terrain Domane), but I am still thinking of adding one in the near future.
    I haven't ridden one, but there were several (6?) in my group ride this morning. The owners all rave about them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    a while back there was a thread in here from someone who has one. I'll admit I'm not up to date on the latest features on all these high end carbon bikes, but what sets the Factor apart from the rest of the other high end carbon bikes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Rashadabd...I responded to your pm but thought this might be useful to someone else who is contemplating buying one. Here is what I wrote slightly edited for clarity:

I still love my O2. The previous bike I was riding was a Scott Foil 10 model year 2016. I do think that that frame was more comfortable on longer rides (same wheels/tires as I'm using now on the O2). I guess that would be my one "thing" to improve is a little more compliance for longer rides.

On the flip side, the performance that the O2 allows laterally (think nimble) is definitely very, very good and it responds very well again to power applied at the pedal. Now to be honest, maybe it's the way I have it set up but, I set the O2 the same as the Foil with respect to saddle height, setback (from BB) and reach to bars.

Another aspect I was not anticipating and really enjoy is the Black Inc. stem/bar and post that come with the frame (you choose size etc...). The integrated bar/stem just feels and fits me really well and looks very polished and pro. A ceramic speed BB and headset are also standard when you buy a frame set which is the option I chose (moved my eTap and wheels over...).

Interestingly, if you go down this road, you will have the option of buying a complete bike (frame, wheels, group); or a frame/wheel option; or just a frame option. I had a chance to test out the Black Inc. 35mm carbon clinchers and put them head to head with my Enve and Knight wheels. For what ever reason I liked the Black Inc set the least and therefore opted for just the "frame" option. Please note all wheel sets had the same brand/make and size tires and tubes inflated to the same pressure.

For the type of riding and racing I do which is mostly road, circuit and criteriums this bike is gucci all the way. Hope that helps. I've heard that the AG2R pro team complained about the 2017 models being too still (vertically) like I found and changed the layup for the 2018's. I have a 2017 which would be the stiffer year so I'm trying to find a 2018 to compare...just more info.

Finally, I have a couple friends who have the Factor One which is the aero frame. It looks really nice but, they report it a bit heavy and not as quick to respond as the O2. Once up to speed it's good they say, but for me accelerating and maneuvering is more important.

Best to you in your search!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Rashadabd...I responded to your pm but thought this might be useful to someone else who is contemplating buying one. Here is what I wrote slightly edited for clarity:

I still love my O2. The previous bike I was riding was a Scott Foil 10 model year 2016. I do think that that frame was more comfortable on longer rides (same wheels/tires as I'm using now on the O2). I guess that would be my one "thing" to improve is a little more compliance for longer rides.

On the flip side, the performance that the O2 allows laterally (think nimble) is definitely very, very good and it responds very well again to power applied at the pedal. Now to be honest, maybe it's the way I have it set up but, I set the O2 the same as the Foil with respect to saddle height, setback (from BB) and reach to bars.

Another aspect I was not anticipating and really enjoy is the Black Inc. stem/bar and post that come with the frame (you choose size etc...). The integrated bar/stem just feels and fits me really well and looks very polished and pro. A ceramic speed BB and headset are also standard when you buy a frame set which is the option I chose (moved my eTap and wheels over...).

Interestingly, if you go down this road, you will have the option of buying a complete bike (frame, wheels, group); or a frame/wheel option; or just a frame option. I had a chance to test out the Black Inc. 35mm carbon clinchers and put them head to head with my Enve and Knight wheels. For what ever reason I liked the Black Inc set the least and therefore opted for just the "frame" option. Please note all wheel sets had the same brand/make and size tires and tubes inflated to the same pressure.

For the type of riding and racing I do which is mostly road, circuit and criteriums this bike is gucci all the way. Hope that helps. I've heard that the AG2R pro team complained about the 2017 models being too still (vertically) like I found and changed the layup for the 2018's. I have a 2017 which would be the stiffer year so I'm trying to find a 2018 to compare...just more info.

Finally, I have a couple friends who have the Factor One which is the aero frame. It looks really nice but, they report it a bit heavy and not as quick to respond as the O2. Once up to speed it's good they say, but for me accelerating and maneuvering is more important.

Best to you in your search!
    Thanks for the message and post Woodys737. This is very helpful information that seems to be tough to get on the web or in U.S. shops. If I end up going this route, this would be more of a flat out fast race oriented bike for me since my Domane (which I love) serves as my endurance/long ride bike. I definitely would love to hear how the stiffer 2017 and 2018 compare, so please post or message me if you hear anything. This and the new Tarmac Disc are the two bikes that interest me in this category.

The other option is to go in a completely different direction and get a MTB or big tire gravel bike. Either way, thereís probably only room for one more in the stable. I am going to take a few months and decide while I save up more money. Thanks again!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the message and post Woodys737. This is very helpful information that seems to be tough to get on the web or in U.S. shops. If I end up going this route, this would be more of a flat out fast race oriented bike for me since my Domane (which I love) serves as my endurance/long ride bike. I definitely would love to hear how the stiffer 2017 and 2018 compare, so please post or message me if you hear anything. This and the new Tarmac Disc are the two bikes that interest me in this category.

The other option is to go in a completely different direction and get a MTB or big tire gravel bike. Either way, thereís probably only room for one more in the stable. I am going to take a few months and decide while I save up more money. Thanks again!
    Wondering if you got an 02? I did get a chance to talk to Phil Tinstman at the Manhattan Beach GP last month about the '17 v the '18. He said they didn't make much of a change and said that Factor continually evolves the frames. This was on the start line so I didn't have much time to get into the details but, I took that to mean depending on when you buy a 2018 it may or may not be different than the 2017.

The only change I made that has helped is a new saddle. I went with the SDG Bel-Aire and son of a *****! What do yo know? I love it! I had been riding the Pro Stealth and for whatever reason it was super ok on the Scott but, not on the Factor. Shameless pixor
    Factor 02-img_3305.jpeg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Wondering if you got an 02? I did get a chance to talk to Phil Tinstman at the Manhattan Beach GP last month about the '17 v the '18. He said they didn't make much of a change and said that Factor continually evolves the frames. This was on the start line so I didn't have much time to get into the details but, I took that to mean depending on when you buy a 2018 it may or may not be different than the 2017.

The only change I made that has helped is a new saddle. I went with the SDG Bel-Aire and son of a *****! What do yo know? I love it! I had been riding the Pro Stealth and for whatever reason it was super ok on the Scott but, not on the Factor. Shameless pixor
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3305.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	323392
    Nice bike! Looking good! Nope, I ended up falling in love with gravel riding and have been shifting my energy and resources there. I started with a Trek Domane, which I like a lot, but eventually realized I need more tire clearance for what I want to do. Looking into the new Giant Revolt Advanced gravel bike now. I still like Factor a bunch though and really came away impressed with their concept and design process. I donít see one in my near future though because I plan to convert the Domane to a pure road bike once I get a new gravel ride.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Nice bike! Looking good! Nope, I ended up falling in love with gravel riding and have been shifting my energy and resources there. I started with a Trek Domane, which I like a lot, but eventually realized I need more tire clearance for what I want to do. Looking into the new Giant Revolt Advanced gravel bike now. I still like Factor a bunch though and really came away impressed with their concept and design process. I donít see one in my near future though because I plan to convert the Domane to a pure road bike once I get a new gravel ride.
    Awesome! Can't go wrong with gravel riding imo. Hopefully I'll be riding a Masi CXGRc in the near future.