The Famous Maker's Ridley Triton frame. Looking for more info
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

The Famous Maker's Ridley Triton frame. Looking for more info

From what little shows up on a Search, the Nashbar Famous Maker frame is the discontinued Ridley Triton. The info on the Triton is even less than the owner feedback on the NFM: Nashbar - Welcome!

At $999 with free shipping and overweight charges the bike seems like a great deal. Normal sale price is $1399 and even with a 20% coupon it's still more than the $999. It fits me ergo-wise and for my needs as a low-cost winter trainer and non-crit road racer to prepare for my mountain bike season. I have extra parts laying around to take care of the few shortcomings such as saddle & seatpost. The wheels are light and nice; the stiff aluminum frame will be offset by some 23mm rims running tubeless. Plus a return policy but that's a hassle, hence this post about the frame quality and ride traits.

But I'm mainly concerned about the Triton frame. Anyone own(ed) one? Pros and cons would be helpful.
    Last edited by bikewriter; 11-10-2012 at 06:04 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What're your concerns about the frame? It's a low-end al frame which will work fine although will be a bit heavy and pretty stiff. Considering the price, you're getting a good deal on the components AND getting the frame thrown in for free.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Thanks. Low-end and heavy were kind of my concerns. Maybe I should spend a little more and get a nice carbon frame with the likes of Rival or 105.

Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    What're your concerns about the frame? It's a low-end al frame which will work fine although will be a bit heavy and pretty stiff. Considering the price, you're getting a good deal on the components AND getting the frame thrown in for free.

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I was looking over that bike too, one reviewer says it is 18lb with a 1400g wheelset (I looked that up too, they are just over 1400g according to others). It might be a good buy with 20% off, even with that crappy seat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    $999 free delivery is rock bottom I believe. When they have 20% coupons, like last week, blowout bike pricing is excluded. If the price was jacked up to the usual "sale" of $1349 then the 20% applies.

Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    I was looking over that bike too, one reviewer says it is 18lb with a 1400g wheelset (I looked that up too, they are just over 1400g according to others). It might be a good buy with 20% off, even with that crappy seat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Spoke to a racer who used to work at Nashbar and now does part-time work at Performance about the FM Force bike. He said the only shortcoming of the bike was the Tektro brakes and it was a relative comparison to the awesome Force components and lightweight wheelset. The frame is indeed pretty darn heavy but the quality was not bad, he said. Not a good frame, but not a bad one.

Asked if he'd take the Force Famous Maker bike for $999 or a nice non-heavy carbon frame with Rival for $1200-ish, his opinion was to go for the Rival bike with a quality frame. Maybe something like this for $1399 (price added in cart): http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...p_cf_rival.htm
    The Famous Maker frame, for a rider's lone bike - was just so average.

In his humble opinion the Force is the second best kit behind Ultegra di2.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I have had this bike for about 4 months now. I don't think this is the Triton frame. What it is is a generic hydroformed aluminum frame. I imaging that the frame is fairly light, it weigh in at about 17ish lbs out of the box (stock saddle is a pig). With a new saddle, speedplay pedals, and bottle cages it is sitting at 17.0 lbs right now (55cm size). Stiff enough for me and seems to climb well. As expected the Force components are great. Even the tektro calipers are fine after I swapped out the brake pads for shimanos. I bought it with the 20% off coupon. The current price seems like a steal.

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    That's a great endorsement. I am on the fence with this... 17lb, 1450g wheels, Force... do I spend the money or not?

How would that compare to this: Diamondback Podium Sport Road Bike '12 > Complete Bikes > Road Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop , which is basically next year's Podium 3?

Not to worry, they don't have my size anymore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    @.je

Depends on what you are looking for. I was looking for a lighter bike that fit better (last bike a bit too big) and knew that I wanted SRAM Force components. This bike fit the bill and I like the clean look. A pleasant surprise for me was that it came with a full carbon fiber fork.

The DB bike that you posted looks fine as well. It is cheaper but comes with a FSA crank and Shimano 105 components. Also significantly heavier at 20.5 lbs.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have cut the seat post and fork on the original bike. Also changed out the tires to conti GP4000s. Selle Italia saddle and speed play pedals with Ward Ti spindles to get to the current weight. bottle cages are plastic Elite race cages.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    I'm looking at the Famous Maker Rival bike.. but I'm on the fence between that and a couple of BD bikes (with Apex) and a Specialized Secteur Apex (an older model on clearance). Not sure which way to go. I certainly do like the blank aspect of the Famous Maker - no sense in paying someone else to do their advertising. Just not sure which way to go. I ride mostly for fitness and charity rides (BPMS150, Tour De Cure, Livestrong) and I'm not real concerned about weight... if I have to work harder, It'll get this middle aged guy in better shape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Ridley discontinued the triton like 5 years ago, that to start with.

For around the same money you might be able to get a caad? And sure there are plenty of caad dealers around your area too.