FELT AR1....PICS Included!!!!! PICS!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

FELT AR1....PICS Included!!!!! PICS!!!!!!!

Who said they weren't making a FELT AR1 this year....well, your right for this year, but this is an AR1 from 2008.......

Teaser Pic to start.......

Last edited by mile2424; 01-23-2009 at 09:00 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

FELT SLIPSTREAM AR1....PICS Included!!!!! PICS!!!!!!!

Who said they weren't making a FELT AR1 this year....well, your right for this year, but this is an AR1 from 2008.......

Teaser Pic to start.......

Last edited by mile2424; 01-23-2009 at 09:01 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    thanks for wasting my time on that one...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Ok, sorry it took so long for the rest of the pics. I cleaned up the frame a little bit. Some background on this bike, it is a size 56cm frame and it was raced by Will Frischkorn in last year's Tour de France where he took 2nd place in Stage 3. It is 1 of 8 prototypes made for the Slipstream Garmin Chipotle Team in 2008, also made with a little extra material for some added stiffness (similar to the F1 Sprint) compared to the production version AR's this year. I don't have the exact weight yet, but it still feels super light using Felt's new UHC Nano Modular Carbon Fiber. I can't wait to build it up this weekend and will have more pics once the build is finished. Hopefully the rain will stop so I can take some pics outside in the natural light and take it for a spin as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Ok, sorry it took so long for the rest of the pics. I cleaned up the frame a little bit. Some background on this bike, it is a size 56cm frame and it was raced by Will Frischkorn in last year's Tour de France where he took 2nd place in Stage 3. It is 1 of 8 prototypes made for the Slipstream Garmin Chipotle Team in 2008, also made with a little extra material for some added stiffness (similar to the F1 Sprint) compared to the production version AR's this year. I don't have the exact weight yet, but it still feels super light using Felt's new UHC Nano Modular Carbon Fiber. I can't wait to build it up this weekend and will have more pics once the build is finished. Hopefully the rain will stop so I can take some pics outside in the natural light and take it for a spin as well.

RoadBikeReview Member

Nice

How did you acquire the bike? It's really nice looking. Good pictures too!

[QUOTE=mile2424]Ok, sorry it took so long for the rest of the pics. I cleaned up the frame a little bit. Some background on this bike, it is a size 56cm frame and it was raced by Will Frischkorn in last year's Tour de France where he took 2nd place in Stage 3. It is 1 of 8 prototypes made for the Slipstream Garmin Chipotle Team in 2008, also made with a little extra material for some added stiffness (similar to the F1 Sprint) compared to the production version AR's this year. I don't have the exact weight yet, but it still feels super light using Felt's new UHC Nano Modular Carbon Fiber. I can't wait to build it up this weekend and will have more pics once the build is finished. Hopefully the rain will stop so I can take some pics outside in the natural light and take it for a spin as well.
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

xploshin
    Wondering the same thing, its completely beautiful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I bought it from a shop in Boulder, Co. where the Slipstream team is based and trains out of during the off season. I don't think it is uncommon for teams to let riders sell their bikes from the previous year. I was pretty excited to be able to find such a rare frame with the racing pedigree to go with it.

banned
    Aug 2006
    whatd you pay?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    I'd post it in a few more forums.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    That is a nice looking bike. What are you going to build it with?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Very nice.

What is the saddle? Looks sort of like the Antares saddle I've been reading about but the cover is different.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Nice pickup, but my experience is that it is pretty uncommon for pro riders to sell their bikes, especially through a LBS. By no means raining on your parade, just jealous. Speaking of rain ....

Quote Originally Posted by mile2424
    I can't wait to build it up this weekend and will have more pics once the build is finished. Hopefully the rain will stop so I can take some pics outside in the natural light and take it for a spin as well.
    It wasn't raining in Boulder around the days your posted this, so I guess you live in another part of CO. or got it some time ago and live in another part of the U.S. What Boulder shop, if you feel generous to say?

Again, not trying to be an arse, but that is one heck of a find at a LBS. That's a hot ride. I've been looking all off season for some Tour-ridden team bike castoffs and have come up short.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Oh, you wanna sell it if the pedigree can indeed be established? (Although a quick look at the dropouts seems to show no use.) Send me a PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    that's one of the most special frames...value for collection and not to mention its weight..and stiff for sure...congrats!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    It did indeed come with the Dura Ace 7800 group, but I took it all off to clean the frame and I am thinking of putting my Campy Record group on there. I might have to tape over the Shimano logo Don't have a current frame and fork weight, but I believe the rumor from Felt was that these were built with added material for stiffness and probably weigh around 1600 grams. I will weigh it soon and figure it out exaclty.

I actually live in California, but was lucky enough to catch the bike and scoop it up when I could.

Now I just need to save up for some Zipp's!

Some more pics from outside in the natural light....

xploshin
    That thing is crazy looking.

Good crazy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Great find, enjoy her!

my bike's underpowered
    Jul 2008
    Congrats!

I've never seen one before - great job on the pics. Thanks for sharing.
    life is a journey......enjoy the ride!

RoadBikeReview Member
    re an earlier post, it's not that uncommon for pro contracts to stipulate that they retain possession of their bike - given the small salaries most US pros get, it's a sustantial percentage of their salary. One of the Rock riders just won a court case over this.

p.s. nice bike - build it up and give a ride report...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Agreed. It is not uncommon for pros to keep a bike. Especially U.S. teams. I said it was uncommon to find one for sale at a LBS - that being the method a rider uses to monetize it's value. I'm also not convinced this bike was ridden a ton by Will, or any other Garmin rider. I don't think it was his primary bike from last season. Nonetheless, it's a great find. The OP is clearly trying to sell it, it's copy-and-paste posted on a ton of other forums and sub forums. I'm trying to buy it as well.

You got a link to the Rock Racing case? And were you the one who bought the RR De Rosa King that was listed on eBay? I was watching the auction and it seemed to disappear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I was not listing this frame with the intent to sell at all. I came upon a great deal and just wanted to show off the beautiful frame, especially since the production released AR's are still very rare.

I was also watching that Rock Racing frame, but never saw what it ended at.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    RR: I can't even find the auction any more. Ended or otherwise. But I suck at the internet.

mile, you were smart to post it around. Thanks for sharing; it's a beautiful ride. (And if for no other reason than a lot of us are interested in finding something just like it.) I would have bought it in a second if I saw it in a shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    thats a sweet find.

someone already asked, I'll ask again, what did you pay?

I'd use Shimano components seeing whats labeled all over the frame but either way will be a fine machine

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I'd prefer not to say exactly how much I paid, but i'll say it was between 2k-4k, and that was including the full Dura Ace 7800 groupset. Basically came with everything but wheels. So compared to the prices of the production AR's, neverless the Team Issue Production AR, I think I got a great price.

I am really confused as to what I should put on the bike. I don't want to be limited to a certain component set because it says Shimano on the bike. I plan on selling the 7800 it came with, and then I could either by a new set of 7800, maybe 7900 or use my existing record groupset. What do I do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast