First Time Poster, Short Time Lurker, Long Time FGWGFIW
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008

First Time Poster, Short Time Lurker, Long Time FGWGFIW

I'm looking to get back into road biking after about ten years of not riding much on the road (got into racing mountain bikes for a while, then got married, kids, etc). My old bike, a Performance Titanium with 8 speed Ultegra, now exists as a townie for hauling the trailer and trail-a-bike. I've got two buddies who are starting to ramp up their riding and we've proposed setting RAGBRAI as a goal.

I would like a new mountain bike, and would like to keep it as close to $1k as possible. I'm 6' tall and my racing and weight weenie days are as far behind me as my 32" waistline. My old frame was 57/57, 73/73, and that geometry seemed to agree with me. I've been doing some agressive research over the last month and have found the following three bikes that have possibilities:

1: 2007 NOS Fuji Roubaix RC. All Ultegra 10 speed except for the crank, brakes and wheels. Wheels are Alex 320, which they can keep. I'll swap out the FSA for a FC-R700 compact and switch out the Cane Creek SCR-3 calipers for the Ultegra ones on the townie. It's a 56cm, but the 11 cm stem provides the rule of thumb handlebar to front axle occlusion.

2. Build up a NOS Scattante Pro 57cm frame with on-sale SRAM Rival parts. I've already got cockpit and saddle covered.

3. 56cm equivalent Salsa Campeon with mainly 105 parts with Ultegra derailleurs.

All three bikes are within $75, and I'd be using either of a pair of Sun/Ultegra wheels that I built up strong a while back and have never used.

So, for someone who plans to ride the trainer a bunch this winter (nagging wife wants it next to her treadmill), and then strike out on medium to long rides, which makes more sense? I'm agnostic between STI/SRAM.

Glenn D.

RBR Veteran Opinionater
    Hi Glenn

I can't add any real value to your thread other than to bump it back up in the new posts order. I have heard favorable comments on Salsa, but not much good or bad on the other two.
    Escalate. Always escalate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Quick update: picked up a 2007 NOS Fuji Team today at the 15% off New Year's Day sale - out the door for $1104. It's mostly 105 with the C4 frame. I also picked up a set of DuraAce 10 speed brifters for $255 that will replace the 105s, which I'll sell, along with the Shimano wheels. Pretty excited about getting back into the road scene. It's still a one finger wave, right? Mountain bikers wave a pipe or bong as you go by.

Glenn D.