flyte bikes

Thread: flyte bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

flyte bikes

What are your thoughts about the bikes and frames and the company in general ? For $500 you can get a nice frame .

Jul 2005

Flyte is Airbourne

I've not had one, but I'm seriously considering them for my next bike. I've heard nothing but good about Airbourne. Great quality on the frames, and excellent service. Obviously the prices are amazing.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Riding an Airborne

Quote Originally Posted by whitebassbenny

What are your thoughts about the bikes and frames and the company in general ? For $500 you can get a nice frame .
    Manhatten Project 2005 vintage. Ti with CF seat stay that is triangular shaped in a wish bone pattern mono stay. I bought frame/CF Reynolds Ouzo comp fork/CK headset/stem/post/collar/bars. Very stable riding bike. $1700+for that. Nice long distance bike. What I like most about it is the shaped tubes, truly unique.

RoadBikeReview Member

Thumbs up SRS-2 = Blackbird

I'm coming up on a year with this bike. It was released in the last year of Airborne in America. Due to some copyright issues (the original owner sold the company, and then bought it back, the company that bought it from him kept the copyright to the Airborne brand name in the US) Airborne is no longer sold under that name int the US. You can purchase Airborne cycles overseas though. If you check out their forum, you can see what the original frame names were.

While the SRS-1 is very low cost, it is not near as nice as the SRS-2 (IMHO). What sucks is that the Blackbird had a smoking paint scheme (although some think Airborne went overkill with the decals) which gets tons of attention. It's rare that I go to any event without getting the "sweet frame" comment. I just don't think the SRS-2 is as "hot" as the Blackbird.

The important thing though is this bike is solid. It's comfortable (for me), fast, and fun. The response when I accellerate in the flats or uphill is excellent. Handling is awesome. Very smooth ride. Yes, there is some flex in the rear end (carbon seat and chain stays), but I don't notice it having a negative impact on my riding. This is my third road bike (Pugeot and LeMond my previous ones), and I've had 3 mountain bikes (2 Kona's and a Research Dynamics). While I loved my Kona's, by far this has been the most enjoyable ride. I'm riding stronger than before, I enjoy the road now, and I'm seeing the improvements. I attribute most of this to how this bike feels and performs for me.

NeoRetroGrouch

If looking for aluminum, check eBay for Airborne Thunderbolts. Just before they changed their namer to Flyte, they were selling these with Ultegra-10 for a good price and many bought one, stripped the components and are selling the frames. - TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I bought a cyclocross bike from them in the fall. They had good knowledgeable cust service. I called with a few questions before purchasing the bike. The bike was shipped quickly and I've had no problems with it. It shifted smoothly out of the box. Good experience with the stem swap deal. I've been racing the bike for the fall and would not hesitate to buy another bike from them.

-Sol