Focus Culebro 2009 as first "real" road bike - Any reviews?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Focus Culebro 2009 as first "real" road bike - Any reviews?

Hey Guys,

Looking for a new road bike since I've been riding a KHS Flite 300 steel roadie from the early 90s with Sora components that I bought used for a few hundred bucks. The ride quality is quite jarring and I really don't want to invest any money into getting a carbon fork or new seatpost that's probably incompatible with a newer bike.

I've been test riding a few bikes and tried out the Giant Defy 2 for a weekend ride which felt very comfortable with the upright position and beefy tubes for a heavier rider (215lbs) like myself. My local bikes shop has the Giant Defy 2 for $899, if I go up to $1250, I get a full 105 group instead of a Tiagra/Sora mix that's on the Defy 2.

I just read about the Wiggle UK Scandium bike that was a huge hit and awesome deal but alas, I'm too late as my size is sold out and they don't plan on bringing that one back. Browsing around Wiggle, I found a Focus Culebro 2009 with full Ultegra parts for $1200 and seems to be an awesome deal.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Fo...09/5360037595/

Can you guys let me know what you think and also if you have any experience with this bike? I'm not looking to race but to do some good 40-80 milers on a weekend and I'll eventually use this for a longer 500+ mile multi-day ride.

Thanks!

toomanybikes
    Quote Originally Posted by calbear81
    Hey Guys,

Looking for a new road bike since I've been riding a KHS Flite 300 steel roadie from the early 90s with Sora components that I bought used for a few hundred bucks. The ride quality is quite jarring and I really don't want to invest any money into getting a carbon fork or new seatpost that's probably incompatible with a newer bike.

I've been test riding a few bikes and tried out the Giant Defy 2 for a weekend ride which felt very comfortable with the upright position and beefy tubes for a heavier rider (215lbs) like myself. My local bikes shop has the Giant Defy 2 for $899, if I go up to $1250, I get a full 105 group instead of a Tiagra/Sora mix that's on the Defy 2.

I just read about the Wiggle UK Scandium bike that was a huge hit and awesome deal but alas, I'm too late as my size is sold out and they don't plan on bringing that one back. Browsing around Wiggle, I found a Focus Culebro 2009 with full Ultegra parts for $1200 and seems to be an awesome deal.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Fo...09/5360037595/

Can you guys let me know what you think and also if you have any experience with this bike? I'm not looking to race but to do some good 40-80 milers on a weekend and I'll eventually use this for a longer 500+ mile multi-day ride.

Thanks!
    Let some air out of your tires then try the bike you have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the advice toomanybikes, I've tried it with several different tires at different PSIs but it's still nowhere near the Giant I rode with the carbon fork and seatpost. Also, the components in general are not in top shape and a new bike is preferred.