Frame Materials - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Frame Materials

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    I have seen many times bikes laid in the van with derailleur DOWN, often on top of other bikes with derailleurs up.
    What can I say? You can't fix stupid. Though most riders I have come across know better than to do this.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Didn't ask you what gear this fixie was using. He'd be spinning out frequently in 42-19 on a century with a bunch of big boys in their awesome compact gearing!

Your original point however, is he'd kick everyone's a$$ if he had a higher gear, right?
    A single higher gear? No... no he wouldn't.
    When he rides his 6 speed, he can hang with the 'big boys'... until the hills. Then he gets dropped.
    And when he rides his 11sp... he doesn't.

Physics is physics.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Russian Troll Farmer

Yep, disposable derailleur hangers. Great point.

The original reason was the aluminum also tended to break when bent. The old CRMO hangers could 90% of the time be bent back with the appropriate tool. If not, the drive side dropout could be replaced with a brazing torch. Ah the good ole days of brazing torches and hot metal!

But you're right. Put the weakest link in the hanger. The old steel hangers were just too stiff.
    OK, boomer
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    OK, boomer
    Hey, I'm a boomer, but at the tail end. And I think Freddy admitted awhile back he's before the boomers.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    A single higher gear? No... no he wouldn't.
    When he rides his 6 speed, he can hang with the 'big boys'... until the hills. Then he gets dropped.
    And when he rides his 11sp... he doesn't.

Physics is physics.
    Two things missing here.

1. His 6 speed bike weighs 22 pounds and he's got a low gear of 42-28?

2. His 11 speed bike weighs 17 pounds and has a 39-32 lowest gear?

I've been told and witnessed myself, those fixies can be very light. So they climb like bandits in gears such as 42-17. I notice, all else being equal, a bike that is 5 pounds lighter climbs faster. That's why I was interested in what gear[s] this fixie guy is riding.

Sure, not a great idea to ride a fixie in a group ride with freewheelers. So what gear is he in when he gets dropped? What gear is he in when he doesn't get dropped? I ask because I have no problem keeping up with riders in 42-28, almost all the time pedaling faster than they are, on a 24# bike.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Two things missing here.

1. His 6 speed bike weighs 22 pounds and he's got a low gear of 42-28?

2. His 11 speed bike weighs 17 pounds and has a 39-32 lowest gear?

Gee...it's almost like you're saying gears make a difference.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Gee...it's almost like you're saying gears make a difference.
    I think he's trying to use a "weight makes more difference than gears" argument, or some suck horse pucky.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Hey, I'm a boomer, but at the tail end. And I think Freddy admitted awhile back he's before the boomers.
    Well, being born in 1961, I guess you could call me a 'boomer', but I never identified as one. Couldn't stand the popular music of the time, I had older parents, and identified with the emerging punk scene more than anything else.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Well, being born in 1961, I guess you could call me a 'boomer', but I never identified as one. Couldn't stand the popular music of the time, I had older parents, and identified with the emerging punk scene more than anything else.
    Same here. My teen years were during the........ecccccchhhhh..........disco age.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Same here. My teen years were during the........ecccccchhhhh..........disco age.
    A bit off thread, but yeah, every generation has its own sound track.

Went to a Joan Baez concert around '63 in Queens, NY, where teens booed her special guest, Bob Dylan, off stage. Picked up AM radio stations at night in Buffalo and Tullahoma, TN, that played R&B Cousin Brucie wouldn't run on WABC.

Drove home Saturday nights from my job at the airport, "jumping with my boy Symphony Sid" at the Palladium Ballroom, hosting Joe Cuba, Ray Barretto, and La Lupe, the voice that would turn a man into jello.

There was a bouzouki band over at the Egyptian Gardens that played like Bill Monroe and his Bluegrass Boys, with graceful belly dancers tapping finger cymbals. Wealthy old men would slip dollar bills in their bras and they'd do a little dance just for them. I've never seen anything like it on videos; must be a dying art; a relic of the pre-industrial age.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 12-11-2019 at 11:35 PM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011