Frame Materials - Page 5
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Frame Materials

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I've ridden in the tallest areas of Berkshires in upstate NY and the Appalachians in western PA.

Pastry board flat?

Not even Roger, bike tester par excellence, would say something so goofy.
    There are small very steep hills I will grant you. Why don't you come out here and do the Death Ride with us? 5 passes and 15,000 feet of climbing all topping out over 8,300 feet where the air is so thin that you have to pretend you're breathing. Or the 70 miles or so around Lake Tahoe. If memory serves it has a high spot of 10,000 feet. And of course you could be in the middle of that when the sky opens up and drops hail the size of ping-pong balls on you.

Aside from a very few areas in the Appalachians in which the hills are so damn steep that they don't even build houses on them we can say exactly the same thing about San Francisco here where the hills are so steep that the sidewalks are actually steps.

Going up HOLY BEJESUS 17th Ave in a 34-28 could make you dream of a 32 or 34 but three blocks down the grade is 5%. There is a 1/8th mile hill at aquatic park that is 17% and one near the Rodeo Grounds in the Dublin Grade near Dublin that is 16% for a 1/4th mile.

I have seen the coverage of that yearly ride in (Pennsylvania?) that goes up all of the super hard climbs but you don't think that these CS guys who are talking so big could even think of that do you?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kunich View Post
    There are small very steep hills I will grant you. Why don't you come out here and do the Death Ride with us? 5 passes and 15,000 feet of climbing all topping out over 8,300 feet where the air is so thin that you have to pretend you're breathing. Or the 70 miles or so around Lake Tahoe. If memory serves it has a high spot of 10,000 feet. And of course you could be in the middle of that when the sky opens up and drops hail the size of ping-pong balls on you.

Aside from a very few areas in the Appalachians in which the hills are so damn steep that they don't even build houses on them we can say exactly the same thing about San Francisco here where the hills are so steep that the sidewalks are actually steps.

Going up HOLY BEJESUS 17th Ave in a 34-28 could make you dream of a 32 or 34 but three blocks down the grade is 5%. There is a 1/8th mile hill at aquatic park that is 17% and one near the Rodeo Grounds in the Dublin Grade near Dublin that is 16% for a 1/4th mile.

I have seen the coverage of that yearly ride in (Pennsylvania?) that goes up all of the super hard climbs but you don't think that these CS guys who are talking so big could even think of that do you?
    Great story bro

So... where is the proof of an entire peloton all getting a flat at once?
    Where is the proof of a team mechanic gluing tubulars in the back of a moving car?

EVERYONE wants to know. This is fascinating. We'd all like to see it.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Next to janky threads about sketchy new pedals named after a hinky breed of dog, this thread is The Best Thread.
    Sorry that it has drifted so far from the original discussion. Or perhaps I should say, attempted discussion. From a position of "frame material doesn't make any difference for recreational riders" We have some knothead telling us that because a tubeless tire was destroyed they aren't any good. It doesn't matter that the same thing could happen with a clincher or sewup. Or that if you get a flat out on a training ride with a sewup you have to call AAA.

And I think you mean SpD not Pug.........

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I'll be you didn't know that Mount Greylock is flat?
    I'll be - you don't know that we have three hills in the bay area taller than that? You must sure be weak if you need 11 speeds and a 32 to climb something like that. On a NORMAL Tuesday ride yesterday I did more climbing than that.

Imagine having to pick the tallest hill in the entire state of Massachusetts and pretend that you've ever ridden it.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll be - you don't know that we have three hills in the bay area taller than that? You must sure be weak if you need 11 speeds and a 32 to climb something like that. On a NORMAL Tuesday ride yesterday I did more climbing than that.
    You must sure be weak if you need 9 or 10 speeds and a 28.
    They use to do the Tour de France with single speeds.

Man up! You don't need all those gears.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    You want to hear some gnarly climb stories? Ask Frederico about Mount Wilson.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    You must sure be weak if you need 9 or 10 speeds and a 28.
    They use to do the Tour de France with single speeds.

Man up! You don't need all those gears.
    The simple Saturday ride two weeks in a row were over 3400 feet of climbing and 50 miles and I'm 75. Mt Hamilton is 5,000 feet high and you have to do 1,500 over a hump and back down to get to the start of the Hamilton climb. We consider that an easy climb since it is only about 7% for the most part.

I don't pretend to be fast or strong but you and the sock puppet do.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    The simple Saturday ride two weeks in a row were over 3400 feet of climbing and 50 miles and I'm 75. Mt Hamilton is 5,000 feet high and you have to do 1,500 over a hump and back down to get to the start of the Hamilton climb. We consider that an easy climb since it is only about 7% for the most part.

I don't pretend to be fast or strong but you and the sock puppet do.
    Cool story bro. Still don't need all those gears.

Where is the proof of a team mechanic gluing tubulars in the back of a moving car?

Banned Sock Puppet
    The simple Saturday ride two weeks in a row were over 3400 feet of climbing and 50 miles and I'm 75.........
    Honestly, by your posting style, I would've guessed that you were a bored 15 year old with no friends to play with.
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I was Air Force in the Vietnam War including flying combat missions. The Framework of the B52 cannot be updated or changed and if you know anything about them you'd know that. The aircraft flexes in flight and so the wing panels become twisted and need replacement. THAT IS NOT UPDATING. Over the last 10 years the skin has been replaced with carbon fiber I believe since it doesn't stretch. Again, that is NOT the framework which would require total rebuild to replace.

The B52D would get vertical stabilizer damage to the vertical stabilizer from aerodynamic forces and the tail was replaced with a shorter version. The aircraft who broke the tails off still maneuvered and returned to base.

Now tell me what in the hell you know about the Air Force.

Bomb/Nav Tech 32130L
    Touch a nerve, did I? You probably know more about aircraft than I do, just as I know more about bicycles and racing than you do. See how easy that was?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Touch a nerve, did I? You probably know more about aircraft than I do, just as I know more about bicycles and racing than you do. See how easy that was?
    The nerve you touched is your entire lack of information about anything and your belief you do. Since I've been building bicycle since 20 mm tires were "clinchers" all I've seen from you guys is a bunch of BS. You know all about B52's like you know about tubulars. With a team of 9 riders in the 250 km Paris-Roubaix or the Tour of Flanders you don't think you'd get more than 4 flats for the entire team. I'll bet you actually think that after gluing "hundreds of tubulars".

You know, it isn't a crime to not know something. I don't want to buy all of the special tools so I have the ex-7-Eleven team mechanic install headsets and rethread bottom brackets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    If the frames pass the eXtremeRoger® tests, they'll be eligible to wear the coveted LBD Roger Tested - Roger Approved®
    Here everything had to be Jobst Brant tested and approved. He finally got so outrageous that I told him that when he has a bunch of new guys with him he should warn them if he was going to be descending at 30 mph and lead a group of newbies onto a dirt trail.

That dinked him off so much he published my address complete with a map. That would have been bad enough but it was the wrong address and a little old lady lived there. I lived 20 miles away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Honestly, by your posting style, I would've guessed that you were a bored 15 year old with no friends to play with.
    Honestly, by your posting style I'm quite sure you ARE a sock puppet.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member

You know, it isn't a crime to not know something.
    So educate us smart guy

Banned Sock Puppet
    I see an orange chicklet in Tom Kunich's near future.
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member

Imagine having to pick the tallest hill in the entire state of Massachusetts and pretend that you've ever ridden it.
    Until this post you were simply obnoxious, just an idiot poser making ridiculous claims about everything, including rides you do... But you turned the corner and now you are an outright d!ck
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Well it certainly takes a great deal of intellectual capacity to add as much to the conversation as you have. PS - you didn't explain why B52's built no later than the early 1960's are still flying after your comments about aluminum always failing.
    In material science, there is something called the "endurance limit", an amount of stress which, if kept below, a metal theoretically will never fatigue. Aluminum has no endurance limit, since given enough stress cycles, is guaranteed to eventually fail. This is why aircraft landing cycles are so carefully recorded; after a certain number of cycles, the airframe is retired and the plane is scrapped. The reason why they are still flying is because a certain number of them have yet to reach that number, just as why a few DC-3's are still flying.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

The nerve you touched is your entire lack of information about anything and your belief you do. Since I've been building bicycle since 20 mm tires were "clinchers" all I've seen from you guys is a bunch of BS. You know all about B52's like you know about tubulars. With a team of 9 riders in the 250 km Paris-Roubaix or the Tour of Flanders you don't think you'd get more than 4 flats for the entire team. I'll bet you actually think that after gluing "hundreds of tubulars".

You know, it isn't a crime to not know something. I don't want to buy all of the special tools so I have the ex-7-Eleven team mechanic install headsets and rethread bottom brackets.
    The only races in Europe w/ 9 rider teams were the Grand Tours before this year. They are now 8 rider teams. The 'classics' are 7 rider teams. P-R...7 rider teams. ToF...7 rider teams.
    You persist in referencing P-R for some reason. Obviously the American based women that I work for don't race it nor anything like it. P-R and Tour de Flanders are massively important and very unique races because of the pavé. Teams will bring virtually every employee they have to those races as well as every team vehicle. They will bring extra wheels to virtually every cobble section in the race. There is extra neutral support as well. With the advent of disc brakes most teams will go for a bike change rather than a wheel change if they can do it. They will probably have 8-10 wheels in/on the car plus 6 bikes.

None of the mechanics will do any tire mounting in the car. Does not happen. Team mechanics are incredibly picky about mounting tubulars and I'd be willing to be pretty much anything that the odds of a mechanic putting a tire on a wheel...in a team car...with no glue...during a race...has NEVER happened. Not once. Since you brought it up it's on you to provide the proof. Mounting new tires on new rims is a 2.5-3 day process for me. I have NEVER had a rider roll a tire that I've installed.

Not sure what you mean by "since 20mm tires were clinchers"...it makes no sense. I know lots of guys that have been building bikes for years and years...doesn't automatically make them good mechanics. Most of them are in fact over confident, stubborn, and arrogant. They don't keep up w/ new equipment, instead thinking that the way they did things in the old days is fine. Sound familiar? Remember...it's not 'Practice makes perfect', it's 'Perfect practice makes perfect'.

Honestly, by your posting style I'm quite sure you ARE a sock puppet.
    Oooooooohhhhh...you really got him w/ that one. I'll bet he's deleting his account right now and will never post again. Ouch.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    The empennage on my B-52G needs some TLC.

Is this the right thread for this request?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The empennage on my B-52G needs some TLC.

Is this the right thread for this request?
    No. Your request should be posted in the Strategic Bombers subforum.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    There are areas in Europe where entire fleets of B52's all reach their endurance limit and fail all at once. A pro told me the mechanics put them back together with pre glued parts in the back of a car.

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    There are areas in Europe where entire fleets of B52's all reach their endurance limit and fail all at once. A pro told me the mechanics put them back together with pre glued parts in the back of a car.
    I tried...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tlg again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    This was supposedly a group for bike riders. So far you have convinced me that you own a bike.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    This was supposedly a group for bike riders. So far you have convinced me that you own a bike.
    It is

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast