Framed brand road bikes, any experience?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2014

Framed brand road bikes, any experience?

i am looking into entry level carbon road bike, 2-2.5k budget. canyon endurace is my first choice so far but had stumbled upon this Framed brand bikes. seems like a good value. however there is no option to select higher groupset than Tiagra right now and they all seem to come with mechanical disc brakes. i really would prefer disc brkaes but i dont think i can go back to mechanicals.
    thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I'm assuming you're referring to this company?

https://www.framedbikes.com/collections/road-bikes

According to the "About Us" page...

Framed Bikes is based out of the Twin Cities in Minnesota, a region with strong cycling values.
    With the prices being as low as they are, I can only assume the frame sets are generic or rebranded Chinese frames. I've seen quite a few local bike stores attempting to create their own in-house bicycle brand by using inexpensive Chinese bike frames.

Assuming this to be true, I would "proceed with caution". There are some people that swear by Chinese knock-off bikes from eBay as being just as good as regular brands, and there are also quite a few horror stories. My main concern would be that a poorly constructed frame and or fork could be life threatening... you really do depend on those things not cracking or falling apart while riding. If you're willing to take the risk that these low-budget bikes are built well and will not be a safety issue, then go for it.

I personally would go with Canyon as they have a very good reputation for delivering a quality bike. Not only that, if you ever decide to get a new bike, it'll be much easier to sell a used Canyon than some unknown bike brand.

My 2 cents.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know anything about Framed bicycles. Their prices reflect being a third tier company with lower spec bikes. However, if you're looking for value, Fuji is a company with a good reputation. the one in the link before is carbon framed with 105 hydraulic disc. The MSRP is a starting point, but I bet you can get this for under $2K if you look around. Good luck.

Fuji Bikes | Gran Fondo 1.5
    Last edited by terbennett; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:43 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post

With the prices being as low as they are, I can only assume the frame sets are generic or rebranded Chinese frames. I've seen quite a few local bike stores attempting to create their own in-house bicycle brand by using inexpensive Chinese bike frames.

Assuming this to be true, I would "proceed with caution". There are some people that swear by Chinese knock-off bikes from eBay as being just as good as regular brands, and there are also quite a few horror stories. My main concern would be that a poorly constructed frame and or fork could be life threatening... you really do depend on those things not cracking or falling apart while riding. If you're willing to take the risk that these low-budget bikes are built well and will not be a safety issue, then go for it.

I personally would go with Canyon as they have a very good reputation for delivering a quality bike. Not only that, if you ever decide to get a new bike, it'll be much easier to sell a used Canyon than some unknown bike brand.

My 2 cents.
    Thanks, i sort of thought that would be the case.
    i am one of those riding generic chinese frame/wheel combo. it has been my commuter for 5 years with 0 issues but as i started riding in the mountains in higher speeds i do want to get a quality frame that i can trust. so i guess this is off my list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by terbennett View Post
    I don't know anything about Framed bicycles. Their prices reflect being a third tier company with lower spec bikes. However, if you're looking for value, Fuji is a company with a good reputation. the one in the link before is carbon framed with 105 hydraulic disc. The MSRP is a starting point, but I bet you can get this for under $2K if you look around. Good luck.

Fuji Bikes | Gran Fondo 1.5
    great, thanks, i will look into it. i actually had fuji mountain bike some 15 years back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Framed is well known over at sister site mtbr.com especially for their fat bikes. Honestly I've never heard anyone speak badly of them. My lbs, which is a Trek and Cervelo dealer, sells Framed fat bikes and they do quite well vs the more expensive Trek Farleys. I have three Chinese carbon frames (2 road, one fat) that I purchased directly from the manufacturer and I have had zero problems in about 16,000 miles. Most aluminum frames (from any manufacturer) are most likely coming from Taiwan, not China.

Banned Sock Puppet

Assuming this to be true, I would run the other way.
    Fixed.

There are some people that swear by Chinese knock-off bikes from eBay as being just as good as regular brands, and there are also quite a few horror stories. My main concern would be that a poorly constructed frame and or fork could be life threatening... you really do depend on those things not cracking or falling apart while riding. If you're willing to take the risk that these low-budget bikes are built well and will not be a safety issue, then go for it.
    Or at least buy good dental insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by robc in wi View Post
    Most aluminum frames (from any manufacturer) are most likely coming from Taiwan, not China.
    Granted this is true, but there is a big difference between a well known USA brand bike built to their specs in either China or Taiwan and a cheap knock-off Chinese brand built as cheaply as possible.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein