RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017

Lightbulb Fuji Sportif 2.5 upgrades

I bought a Fuji Sportif 2.5 last year. This was my first modern age road bike. I got a real good deal on it new; however I'm starting to see the limitations of this bike. Does anyone have any suggestions on a carbon fiber fork upgrade? It's a 1 1/8 fork. I've seen a few on Ebay but not sure what and what not to look for. I'm also considering new wheels as an upgrade.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Get the wheels, don't worry about the fork.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    ^^THIS^^. Wheels are the biggest bang for the buck upgrade.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    What are some good wheel sets for under 200 you guys recommend? It looks like I have 27 inch wheels.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Wheels. And tires. Nothing else.

Keep your old wheels. If/when you sell your bike, put the old wheels back on. Keep the new wheels for a new bike. Bikes almost universally come with lower quality wheels. Plus if you only have 1 bike, it's always good to have a spare set of wheels.

The tires on your bike are undoubtedly wire bead, which are stiff and don't feel great. Get a nice set of folding tires (Continental GP 4000's are a good bang for the buck). Probably the best upgrade you can make.

Save your money for a new bike.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by agentorange90 View Post
    What are some good wheel sets for under 200 you guys recommend?
    There are none. $400 is the minimum you'll find a decent set of wheels for.
    Don't waste your money on a <$200 wheelset.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

What are some good wheel sets for under 200 you guys recommend? It looks like I have 27 inch wheels.
    27"? I doubt it. Look again, should be 700c.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    The bike is one of Fuji's low end models with shimano tourney 7-speed or claris 8-speed depending on the year. Personally, I wouldn't do any upgrades. I would save money for a new bike and keep this one as a foul-weather bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Thanks for the tips. I will definitely upgrade the tires. I will check around on ebay or with my local bike shop to see if anyone is selling any good wheels used. It sounds like I'm not going to notice a big ride difference unless I get really good tires. Not sure what type of shifters but that's probably one of the weaker points on the bike; the better points being the frame and overall functionality.

It really doesn't make sense to upgrade a bike like that very much. Maybe tires. Spending $3-4 or even $500.00 on wheels isn't really much of an upgrade. I'd be saving for a better bike. You want to be on current drivetrains, so 11 speed. Then worry about upgrades.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Not sure what type of shifters but that's probably one of the weaker points on the bike; the better points being the frame and overall functionality.
    There are no modern shifters you can buy. 7 speed shifters were phased out more than 10 years ago. No quality shifters are made any more, just low end versions.

Any money spent to upgrade a 23lb aluminum bike will be money totally wasted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    I will definitely upgrade the tires.
    What you really should do is ride enough to wear out the tires. Presuming that the reason you want to upgrade stuff is to be able to go faster, riding more (and wearing out the tires) would be the most efficient path to that goal.

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    What you really should do is ride enough to wear out the tires. Presuming that the reason you want to upgrade stuff is to be able to go faster, riding more (and wearing out the tires) would be the most efficient path to that goal.
    Great answer, though probably not what he wants to hear.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the tips. I will definitely upgrade the tires. I will check around on ebay or with my local bike shop to see if anyone is selling any good wheels used. It sounds like I'm not going to notice a big ride difference unless I get really good tires. Not sure what type of shifters but that's probably one of the weaker points on the bike; the better points being the frame and overall functionality.
    If you mean weak as in quality shifting it's extremely unlikely that has anything to do with the shifters or any parts (unless wear is the issue, but not quality or general functionality). They all work well.
    Unless you have a ton of miles and wore something out or something was defective out of the factory it's almost certain good/better shifting is just a turn of a knob or screw away.

Tires can definitely be a good upgrade.

Wheels only if the current ones have issues. I 'upgraded' wheels not long after I got into cycling because my stock ones would not stay true, had hub issues and were not designed for the beating I eventually dished out. That was roughly $200 wheels to $950 wheels. The lack of problems was a big improvement but ride and speed wise there was no difference I could detect. So I'd say nevermind wheels unless you have problems with the current ones.

Beyond that I'd consider 'changes' but not so much 'upgrades'. Like for example if you think your seat or handlebar shape could be better for you. That doesn't mean just going out and getting more expensive bars though it may. Just get stuff that suites and fits you.

You're bike is what it is pretty much. Give it time to learn your riding style and what your fit should be and put the money aside for a new bike some day that perfectly suites what you learn.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lighter tubes, tires, and wheels are your best option. I'm pretty sure you can find a set up quality wheels used for $200. It will be a decade old or older but an older set of lightweight wheels would make a world of difference. You need a set that are compatible with 7 speed. Other than that, sell it and buy a higher specd used bike for equal money. 7 speed was the norm in the mid to late 1980's but outside of Sora from 15 years ago, it's hard to find alternatives.