Getting back to riding, looking at some Trek bikes...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    66

    Question Getting back to riding, looking at some Trek bikes...

    Hello,

    I'm new here (literally just found the forums and registered), but I did spend a good amount of my day yesterday looking at the reviews and from the little time I've spent looking at these forums, it looks like a good place for information.

    I used to ride bikes a lot when I was younger (in high school, I'm 34 now). A few years ago, I bought a mountain bike (Raleigh 350) to ride with some friends. Now, I'm looking to get a road bike and join the local bike club. I visited a well knownvbike shop yesterday and it turns out they are the headquarters for the local bike club as well. They sell Treks and the owner suggested the Trek 1000. So, like I said, I did some reading up on the reviews on this website yesterday.

    The Trek 1000 looks like a nice bike, but it does use Shamano Sora components and from what I've read, those aren't really the best. Also, I read up on the Trek 1200 which uses a combination of Tiagra and 105 components, which seem from the reviews to be better. Lastly, I'm also looking at the 1500, which is using a combination of Tiagra, 105, and Ultegra components and I assume those are pretty good.

    So, I'm just looking to see if any of you have an experience with these bikes and what you thoughts would be. I'm looking at riding them quite a bit - 3-5 times a week 10-30 or more miles each time. I'm 6' 3" and 235lbs (though the weight will and has been going down). So, I want something that will be reliable and comfortable and fun to ride.

    Thoughts? I'll be searching over these forums some this afternoon and also reading some reviews on clipless shoes and petals as well, but thought I'd post here and see if anyone had any thoughts.

    Thanks in advance for the responses.

    ~C

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    22

    Bang for the buck

    Quote Originally Posted by CMan
    Hello,

    I'm new here (literally just found the forums and registered), but I did spend a good amount of my day yesterday looking at the reviews and from the little time I've spent looking at these forums, it looks like a good place for information.

    I used to ride bikes a lot when I was younger (in high school, I'm 34 now). A few years ago, I bought a mountain bike (Raleigh 350) to ride with some friends. Now, I'm looking to get a road bike and join the local bike club. I visited a well knownvbike shop yesterday and it turns out they are the headquarters for the local bike club as well. They sell Treks and the owner suggested the Trek 1000. So, like I said, I did some reading up on the reviews on this website yesterday.

    The Trek 1000 looks like a nice bike, but it does use Shamano Sora components and from what I've read, those aren't really the best. Also, I read up on the Trek 1200 which uses a combination of Tiagra and 105 components, which seem from the reviews to be better. Lastly, I'm also looking at the 1500, which is using a combination of Tiagra, 105, and Ultegra components and I assume those are pretty good.

    So, I'm just looking to see if any of you have an experience with these bikes and what you thoughts would be. I'm looking at riding them quite a bit - 3-5 times a week 10-30 or more miles each time. I'm 6' 3" and 235lbs (though the weight will and has been going down). So, I want something that will be reliable and comfortable and fun to ride.

    Thoughts? I'll be searching over these forums some this afternoon and also reading some reviews on clipless shoes and petals as well, but thought I'd post here and see if anyone had any thoughts.

    Thanks in advance for the responses.

    ~C
    Certainly Trek is a reliable bet but I would not do it unless your component group is at least Shimano 105 group or better.. Believe me, get the most you can up front, especially if you are going to ride as much as you stated. Be sure the bike fits as well. If $$ are an issue, I suggest looking at Supergo.com. They put some packages together that are hard to beat. Scattante (Supergo's brand) certainly does not have snob appeal but it is a solid alternative to higher priced brand name bikes. Right now you can get a carbon frame & full Ultegra for only $1250. Try to beat that!! Actually I'm planning on ordering one for myself. What ever you do be sure you consider comfort and fit. Aluminum frames are harsh riding but add some carbon fiber (fork & seat post) and its almost a non issue. Good luck.
    Joe H.

  3. #3
    RJU
    RJU is offline

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    12
    Hi! Your story sounds just like mine. I am a 5-3 woman, 43 years old, also just looking to go from mountain/hybrid riding to a road bike. Also looking at local dealer, headquaters for bike club and looking to join. Haven't been able to find a lot of info on reviews. I think I will look at Trek, Giant, Bianci, and what ever else fits the budget. I am a bit nervous about those thin tires. I am used to a bit wider tire, ..I remember falling on a road bike in the past over just a little dirt on the road. .....YIKES. Would you mind posting back to share what you learn? Since our needs are alike, I might be able to follow your leads...and I will post what I learn too. Happy searching and riding. Careful on those thin tires!
    Roe

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by RJU
    Hi! Your story sounds just like mine. I am a 5-3 woman, 43 years old, also just looking to go from mountain/hybrid riding to a road bike. Also looking at local dealer, headquaters for bike club and looking to join. Haven't been able to find a lot of info on reviews. I think I will look at Trek, Giant, Bianci, and what ever else fits the budget. I am a bit nervous about those thin tires. I am used to a bit wider tire, ..I remember falling on a road bike in the past over just a little dirt on the road. .....YIKES. Would you mind posting back to share what you learn? Since our needs are alike, I might be able to follow your leads...and I will post what I learn too. Happy searching and riding. Careful on those thin tires!
    Roe
    Well, I did some more looking around, but not knowing a lot about bikes, I decided to go ahead and order the bike through the local shop. I did, finally, decide on the 1500 because it had the best components without me going to the 2000 series and spending more money than I was comfortable with. Also, I went with Trek because that's what the shop sells and also because the things I've read said they were good bikes.

    As far as comfort, it does have carbon fiber forks, but I'm not sure about the seat post. The seat seemed a little hard (on the 1000 they had in stock), but I haven't riden a road bike in a while and from what I've read the seat is usually the first thing people change. So, I'm going to give it a try and if it's too hard, I'll get a new one.

    Overall, I'm really siked about this bike (to the point that my girlfriend seems to get a little annoyed when I bring it up). I'll let ya know how it goes when I finally get it.

    As far as finding info on reviews, I used www.google.com and also the reviews section of this site. Also, if I could not find a review for the current year's model, I checked out previous year's models figuring the bikes would be similar enough to give me a feel for what people's experience with them were.

    G'luck to you RJU! I'm know I'm siked about riding again...even on those skinny tires.

    ~C

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    22

    Thumbs up

    CMAN,
    Good luck with your new bike and welcome to the sport. Don't worry about your seat. Try it out for a few long rides. It won't be like your sofa but it shouldn't be painful either. One sure thing about this sport is that it has a way of separating you from your money. First its a new seat, then its a cyclometer, and on and on. Have fun and be safe.
    Joe H.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    66

    It finally came in!

    Like the title says, it finally came in! I picked it up this morning and took it out for a half hour spin. This is by far the best bike I've ever owned and if the short ride I took this morning is any indication of how I'm going to like it, I'm really going to like this bike!

    I'm gonna ride it for the next couple weeks to get some stamina then I'm gonna go out with the local bike club and possibly join their ranks.

    So, right now, granted I've only rode it for 30 minutes, I'm really happy with the bike and think it was worth the extra money I paid.

    ~C

  7. #7
    RJU
    RJU is offline

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    12

    Good Luck!

    undefined
    Good Luck with the new bike. Keep us posted. I am still looking. Next weekend I will be at the bike shop and will check them out. Hope you have better riding weather than we do lately....looking for the sun.
    RJU





    Quote Originally Posted by CMan
    Like the title says, it finally came in! I picked it up this morning and took it out for a half hour spin. This is by far the best bike I've ever owned and if the short ride I took this morning is any indication of how I'm going to like it, I'm really going to like this bike!

    I'm gonna ride it for the next couple weeks to get some stamina then I'm gonna go out with the local bike club and possibly join their ranks.

    So, right now, granted I've only rode it for 30 minutes, I'm really happy with the bike and think it was worth the extra money I paid.

    ~C

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    66

    Update

    Well, I've had the bike now for a week and I've logged just over 80 miles on it. So far, I'm loving it. I'm glad I decided to spend a little more and get the good quality components because the bike has a feeling of quality to it. Ya, it's a stiff ride at times due to the old Texas roads, but when you have a good tail wind and are crusing at speed, it just seems to glide and feels so smooth (if that makes any sense).

    I don't really have anything bad to say about the bike. I do have a problem when I shift into the largest ring on the rear sproket. It skips when I put any pressure on the pedals, but I know that's just an adjustment issue (it seems like it's either overshifting or undershifting to that ring) and I'll have the shop look at it next week.

    The seat is fairly comfortable and while my rear gets sore, I think that's just me getting used to riding again and me needing to move around more on the saddle.

    I'm still getting used to clippless pedals. I took a nose dive when I was starting out in my parking lot yesterday. I noticed a truck coming when I was starting off and forgot to clip out of the pedals. Good thing though is the only thing that was hurt was my pride.

    As far as the skinny tires, I'm doing well with them and I have had to go through a few short lose gravel spots. I do get nervous in those situations, but I think if you keep a little lose and don't tense up too much, you can usually glide through them. It's the long stretches of loose stuff that gets me. Also, I try to avoid that stuff anyways because I don't want to puncture my tire.

    So far I've dropped about $1,500 between the bike, shoes, pedals, shorts, etc., etc., etc. When I think about it, that's a lot of money and it's a heck of a lot more than I ever thought I'd spend, but I'm not really upset about it. I decided when I placed the order I was going to spend as much as I could afford to make sure I got good stuff. I figure that way I'd enjoy my time on the bike. So far, I think it's worked and that would be my only advice to anyone looking to get a bike.

    Here's a couple pictures of my bike (if anyone's interested):

    https://members.cox.net/colorman/bike/DSC00303.JPG
    https://members.cox.net/colorman/bike/DSC00305.JPG

    G'luck out there RJU and let us know what you end up getting and how you like it!

    ~C
    Last edited by CMan; 04-29-2004 at 01:15 PM.

  9. #9

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by CMan
    Well, I've had the bike now for a week and I've logged just over 80 miles on it. So far, I'm loving it. I'm glad I decided to spend a little more and get the good quality components because the bike has a feeling of quality to it. Ya, it's a stiff ride at times due to the old Texas roads, but when you have a good tail wind and are crusing at speed, it just seems to glide and feels so smooth (if that makes any sense).

    I don't really have anything bad to say about the bike. I do have a problem when I shift into the largest ring on the rear sproket. It skips when I put any pressure on the pedals, but I know that's just an adjustment issue (it seems like it's either overshifting or undershifting to that ring) and I'll have the shop look at it next week.

    The seat is fairly comfortable and while my rear gets sore, I think that's just me getting used to riding again and me needing to move around more on the saddle.

    I'm still getting used to clippless pedals. I took a nose dive when I was starting out in my parking lot yesterday. I noticed a truck coming when I was starting off and forgot to clip out of the pedals. Good thing though is the only thing that was hurt was my pride.

    As far as the skinny tires, I'm doing well with them and I have had to go through a few short lose gravel spots. I do get nervous in those situations, but I think if you keep a little lose and don't tense up too much, you can usually glide through them. It's the long stretches of loose stuff that gets me. Also, I try to avoid that stuff anyways because I don't want to puncture my tire.

    So far I've dropped about $1,500 between the bike, shoes, pedals, shorts, etc., etc., etc. When I think about it, that's a lot of money and it's a heck of a lot more than I ever thought I'd spend, but I'm not really upset about it. I decided when I placed the order I was going to spend as much as I could afford to make sure I got good stuff. I figure that way I'd enjoy my time on the bike. So far, I think it's worked and that would be my only advice to anyone looking to get a bike.

    Here's a couple pictures of my bike (if anyone's interested):

    https://members.cox.net/colorman/bike/DSC00303.JPG
    https://members.cox.net/colorman/bike/DSC00305.JPG

    G'luck out there RJU and let us know what you end up getting and how you like it!

    ~C
    CMan,
    That's one nice looking bike. Good to hear your enjoying it. I can almost guarantee you though that within a year you'll probably drop at least another $250 or more on additional equip. and accessories. But its all part of the fun. Good luck and beware of that gravel & sand. I'm currently shopping for my 2nd road bike. I'll be riding my MTB on Sunday in the NYC five borough bike tour for the 2nd time. They're expecting 30,000+ riders on the 42 mile course. It's quite an experience.
    JoeH.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeH
    CMan,
    That's one nice looking bike. Good to hear your enjoying it. I can almost guarantee you though that within a year you'll probably drop at least another $250 or more on additional equip. and accessories. But its all part of the fun. Good luck and beware of that gravel & sand. I'm currently shopping for my 2nd road bike. I'll be riding my MTB on Sunday in the NYC five borough bike tour for the 2nd time. They're expecting 30,000+ riders on the 42 mile course. It's quite an experience.
    JoeH.
    G'luck on the ride JoeH! That does sound fun, albiet beyond my skill. Most I ever did off road was maybe 10 miles following some power lines and whatnot.

    Ya, I figure I'll drop some more cash. I need a bigger pack. The one I have won't fit my tools, spare tire, pump, keys, and whatever else I need to carry with me. And, I'll probably get a couple more pairs of shorts and some shirts too.

    ~C

  11. #11

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    311
    The Trek 1200 is a nicer bike. There's no doubt about it. One thing to keep in mind is that the wheelsets on both the 1000 and 1200 have traditionally been known for going out of true frequently. If you get either bike then you might want to ask the LBS to swap out the wheelset for a set of Open Pros with Dura Ace hubs. The OPs will be much more durable and faster than any wheelset that comes stock on these bikes.

  12. #12
    EWF
    EWF is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    27

    Something to consider for next time

    Congratulations on the purchase and enjoy. Last month I was comparing the Trek 1500 against the Specialized Allez Elite Al and the Elite Cr-Mo. I went with the Cr-Mo because I preferred the smoother ride that steel offers. Next time you're in the market, you might want to compare steel v. aluminum or whatever other composite is available at that time. In the end, it's personal preference, but if you're spending that much dough, you want to make the best choice for you that you can. On that subject, don't regret the price for a second. Given the amount you're going to ride, it's worth getting the better quality. Lots of people spend more on health clubs they don't go to.

  13. #13
    RJU
    RJU is offline

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    12
    Congrats on the new bike! It looks great and sounds like you are enjoying it! I am glad to hear that you are handleing the gravel well. That was my biggest fear, until I test road my first road bike, and couldn't reach the break lever! Turns out that due to my size I need a womens specific model, and the only one with a small enough reach to the break was a Specialized Dolce. I tried the Trek 1000 and 1500, but they couldn't size it to me. The Dolce elite was great, and on sale for only 880.00, but someone else beat me to the last one in our area. Oh well. I have a down payment on the Dolce Sport, even though I dont think it has the level of components I want. Seems like for my size, that was the only model to fit. So....I thought I better have them hold it for a week while I look around.
    How are you doing getting used to reaching down for the breaks? I am used to the break lever that goes across the top of the handle bars...Are you feeling comfortable with the set up of the shifting? So many things are different than my cross bike, that I am a little concerned. Oh, and about those clipless pedals....it is still a bit nerve bending for me too. I havent fallen yet, but I do panic in traffic. It usually feels more natural by the end of the season,,,then I have to start over in spring. Take care, and enjoy the bike..and drop a line if you get a chance and let me know how the riding is going.
    Roe




    Quote Originally Posted by CMan
    Well, I've had the bike now for a week and I've logged just over 80 miles on it. So far, I'm loving it. I'm glad I decided to spend a little more and get the good quality components because the bike has a feeling of quality to it. Ya, it's a stiff ride at times due to the old Texas roads, but when you have a good tail wind and are crusing at speed, it just seems to glide and feels so smooth (if that makes any sense).

    I don't really have anything bad to say about the bike. I do have a problem when I shift into the largest ring on the rear sproket. It skips when I put any pressure on the pedals, but I know that's just an adjustment issue (it seems like it's either overshifting or undershifting to that ring) and I'll have the shop look at it next week.

    The seat is fairly comfortable and while my rear gets sore, I think that's just me getting used to riding again and me needing to move around more on the saddle.

    I'm still getting used to clippless pedals. I took a nose dive when I was starting out in my parking lot yesterday. I noticed a truck coming when I was starting off and forgot to clip out of the pedals. Good thing though is the only thing that was hurt was my pride.

    As far as the skinny tires, I'm doing well with them and I have had to go through a few short lose gravel spots. I do get nervous in those situations, but I think if you keep a little lose and don't tense up too much, you can usually glide through them. It's the long stretches of loose stuff that gets me. Also, I try to avoid that stuff anyways because I don't want to puncture my tire.

    So far I've dropped about $1,500 between the bike, shoes, pedals, shorts, etc., etc., etc. When I think about it, that's a lot of money and it's a heck of a lot more than I ever thought I'd spend, but I'm not really upset about it. I decided when I placed the order I was going to spend as much as I could afford to make sure I got good stuff. I figure that way I'd enjoy my time on the bike. So far, I think it's worked and that would be my only advice to anyone looking to get a bike.

    Here's a couple pictures of my bike (if anyone's interested):

    https://members.cox.net/colorman/bike/DSC00303.JPG
    https://members.cox.net/colorman/bike/DSC00305.JPG

    G'luck out there RJU and let us know what you end up getting and how you like it!

    ~C

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    66
    Thank you! I really am enjoying it!

    It looks like the Dolce's are similar to the WSD's that I saw Trek puts out (specifically designed for women). Your dealer isn't able to order you an Elite? I'm no expert on components or anything, but I've read good things about the Ultegra components that the Elite has.

    I'm doing well with the breaks and I really like the shifters on the breaks better than on the bottom tube - that should give you an idea how long it's been since I had a road bike. Like you, I am used to the break levers that come across the top of bars, but so far it hasn't been a problem. I'm able to reach over the "hoods" to use them just fine, especially since I tilted the handle bars up a little (back to where the dealer had put them in the first place ). In fact, I'm able to use them so well, that on a few occasions, I'm accidently put my rear tire in a skid.

    As far as the clipless pedals, aside from the one incident I mentioned in my last post, I'm doing better than I expected in them. I can usually clip each foot in in one or two tries/rotations of the crank. When I'm in traffic, I just make sure I'm anticipating things as far in advance as possible and I unclip my right foot early. It's worked well so far. My dealer told me I'd take a couple falls getting used to clipless, but after that, I'd be fine. I think he's right.

    My next goal is to get my speeds up some and build some endurance so that I can ride with the local bike club. I've never done that before and I'm looking forward to it. I think I'm just going to be nervous riding in a paceline (if they even do that here). I have this memory of the last time I rode real close to another person years ago. We overlapped tires and my front tire got caught up in his quick release lever and we both took a good digger. It wasn't so bad that we couldn't ride home, but it did hurt for a little while.

    Drop a line when you get your bike. And, if possible, post pictures! I'm sure you'll do fine with all the differences between a road bike and your cross bike.

    ~C

    Quote Originally Posted by RJU
    Congrats on the new bike! It looks great and sounds like you are enjoying it! I am glad to hear that you are handleing the gravel well. That was my biggest fear, until I test road my first road bike, and couldn't reach the break lever! Turns out that due to my size I need a womens specific model, and the only one with a small enough reach to the break was a Specialized Dolce. I tried the Trek 1000 and 1500, but they couldn't size it to me. The Dolce elite was great, and on sale for only 880.00, but someone else beat me to the last one in our area. Oh well. I have a down payment on the Dolce Sport, even though I dont think it has the level of components I want. Seems like for my size, that was the only model to fit. So....I thought I better have them hold it for a week while I look around.
    How are you doing getting used to reaching down for the breaks? I am used to the break lever that goes across the top of the handle bars...Are you feeling comfortable with the set up of the shifting? So many things are different than my cross bike, that I am a little concerned. Oh, and about those clipless pedals....it is still a bit nerve bending for me too. I havent fallen yet, but I do panic in traffic. It usually feels more natural by the end of the season,,,then I have to start over in spring. Take care, and enjoy the bike..and drop a line if you get a chance and let me know how the riding is going.
    Roe

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    66

    Just broke 250 miles on the new bike!!!

    I just got back from a 30 mi ride where I broke 250 miles on the new bike and my legs still feel good! I might go out again later this afternoon after I eat something and cool off some.

    So far, the only things I've noticed about the bike is that the bearings in the headtube (?) for the fork seem loose (a little) and there is a small ticking sound when I put a lot of pressure on the left pedal. So, I'm gonna call the dealer and get him to look at those things (and I while I'm there, I'll probably spend some more money ).

    RJU, did you get your bike? Where's the pictures? ;)

    ~C

  16. #16

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by CMan
    I just got back from a 30 mi ride where I broke 250 miles on the new bike and my legs still feel good! I might go out again later this afternoon after I eat something and cool off some.

    So far, the only things I've noticed about the bike is that the bearings in the headtube (?) for the fork seem loose (a little) and there is a small ticking sound when I put a lot of pressure on the left pedal. So, I'm gonna call the dealer and get him to look at those things (and I while I'm there, I'll probably spend some more money ).

    RJU, did you get your bike? Where's the pictures? ;)

    ~C
    C..

    Just had to mention that my girlfriend loves her 1500. We got Treks at the end of February and are coming on now about 700 weekend miles and regular one or two weekday mornings so far of riding. I got the 2200 model cause I am by nature, more a gadget, equipment freak and good at spending more money that she is! (We wanted matching bikes.) And by upgrading and my obsessive nature, I upped my wheels and pedals separately and hand-me-downed my Bontrager Race wheelset to her 1500 to replace her Selects. I also changed out her tires to 23cm ProRaces (a bit of over kill.) Now, we're both on the skinner 23cm tires.. which I recommend. Speeds you up a bit. She said after riding on the wheelset/tire, "I had no idea!"

    I must say though, in having just bought a second bike (a cheap, but complete 105 bike by Felt the F70) for myself which I keep at my house during the week and as a commuter machine, it's quite a bit heavier than the Trek 1500. I think the 1500 is a great machine for the buck. Kudos to Trek for putting together the right parts and package at the price. I really mean that.

    Now having more experience directly with the 105 and Ultegra systems, I must say that I DO think the Ultegra shifters/brake levers feel a bit crisper. That could be because my girlfriend shifts a lot more than I do right before hills, and I hear her grinding a bit more...and because I could be a bit freaked out about my sluggish Felt and it's 105 system. Contrasting that to my 2200 complete Ultegra system is probably more psychological on my part and I'm probably simply playing favorites. Also the 2200's frame set is quite different than both the 1500 and Felt's too. So, I'm not being completely fair.

    Here is a cutesy pic of both of us posing in our local hills in our "team" garb from her web site:
    https://t.jaquith.home.comcast.net/Inspiration.jpg

    Fred warning: we're in matching Primal jersies!!

    She's the taller one on the left, of course.. with the bigger bike (the 1500.)

    Also, as far as seats go, the Bontrager seat that came with your bike is the same one that comes with the 2200 I think. The only weight-weenie complaint about it, is that it's perhaps 150 or so grams heavier than a more competitive saddle, but it's pretty comfortable! I came across and eBay'd a blue Trek team style matching San Marco Era K for $30 bucks, however..and put that on my rig to make it look more poser :-) I think the San Marco saddle is the one that comes on the 2300.

    So be happy with your machine. She loves hers, and I love her loving hers... I love my 2200 too. The more I ride my Trek and compare it to my cost cutting cornered, Felt, the more happy I am with the Trek for the long haul. Nice, solid, well built machines.

    -Hunter

  17. #17
    RJU
    RJU is offline

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    12
    Hunter...glad to hear you like your bike so much. Wow..700 miles is a lot! Love the pictures..nice bikes! I ended up with a Specialized Dolce, WSD. I am not sure it is quite adjusted for me yet...but working on it . So far only rode about 50 miles or so... It will be a while for me to get to 700. Take care and thanks for posting and putting pictures in too!
    RJU

    Quote Originally Posted by brownhunter
    C..
    Just had to mention that my girlfriend loves her 1500. We got Treks at the end of February and are coming on now about 700 weekend miles and regular one or two weekday mornings so far of riding. I got the 2200 model cause I am by nature, more a gadget, equipment freak and good at spending more money that she is! (We wanted matching bikes.) And by upgrading and my obsessive nature, I upped my wheels and pedals separately and hand-me-downed my Bontrager Race wheelset to her 1500 to replace her Selects. I also changed out her tires to 23cm ProRaces (a bit of over kill.) Now, we're both on the skinner 23cm tires.. which I recommend. Speeds you up a bit. She said after riding on the wheelset/tire, "I had no idea!"

    I must say though, in having just bought a second bike (a cheap, but complete 105 bike by Felt the F70) for myself which I keep at my house during the week and as a commuter machine, it's quite a bit heavier than the Trek 1500. I think the 1500 is a great machine for the buck. Kudos to Trek for putting together the right parts and package at the price. I really mean that.

    Now having more experience directly with the 105 and Ultegra systems, I must say that I DO think the Ultegra shifters/brake levers feel a bit crisper. That could be because my girlfriend shifts a lot more than I do right before hills, and I hear her grinding a bit more...and because I could be a bit freaked out about my sluggish Felt and it's 105 system. Contrasting that to my 2200 complete Ultegra system is probably more psychological on my part and I'm probably simply playing favorites. Also the 2200's frame set is quite different than both the 1500 and Felt's too. So, I'm not being completely fair.

    Here is a cutesy pic of both of us posing in our local hills in our "team" garb from her web site:
    https://t.jaquith.home.comcast.net/Inspiration.jpg

    Fred warning: we're in matching Primal jersies!!

    She's the taller one on the left, of course.. with the bigger bike (the 1500.)

    Also, as far as seats go, the Bontrager seat that came with your bike is the same one that comes with the 2200 I think. The only weight-weenie complaint about it, is that it's perhaps 150 or so grams heavier than a more competitive saddle, but it's pretty comfortable! I came across and eBay'd a blue Trek team style matching San Marco Era K for $30 bucks, however..and put that on my rig to make it look more poser :-) I think the San Marco saddle is the one that comes on the 2300.

    So be happy with your machine. She loves hers, and I love her loving hers... I love my 2200 too. The more I ride my Trek and compare it to my cost cutting cornered, Felt, the more happy I am with the Trek for the long haul. Nice, solid, well built machines.

    -Hunter

  18. #18

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    36

    Just bought a Trek 2100

    For the money I think Trek makes a good bike AND they are made in USA. I was looking at an entry level bike but as I was reading the reviews on this site I started looking at the 1200, then the 1500 and finally I figured that for the little more money I'd go to the 2100 and get the carbon fork and seat post. I can always upgrade the components later which will give me a 2300 setup. If you can, I'd get the 2100 or better which will give you a better ride, i.e., you won't feel 'beat up' after a long ride with the carbon fork and seat post. Good riding!!

  19. #19

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    25
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the forks on the 1500 and 2100 the same?

    Bontrager Race Carbon..

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by the Full Effect
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the forks on the 1500 and 2100 the same?

    Bontrager Race Carbon..

    Yup.

    Here's a side by side comparison of the bikes:

    http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/...000&bike3=null

    Looks like the 2100 is a carbon frame while the 1500 is AL.

    ~C

  21. #21

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    25
    Ok, when BBunny said fork, I thought they had meant fork. Not frame. My bad.

  22. #22

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by CMan
    Yup.

    Here's a side by side comparison of the bikes:

    http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/...000&bike3=null

    Looks like the 2100 is a carbon frame while the 1500 is AL.

    ~C
    Actually the 2100/2200/2300s (all share a common frame and fork) are a combination of carbon and aluminum (notice how the web page says "Third Dimension OCLV Carbon/ZR 9000"). To be precise, the basic frame is aluminum but seat stays (as well as the fork) are carbon. The 1500 frame is all aluminum with a carbon fork. The difference in the ride is considerable.

    Spence

  23. #23

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    25
    Would it really be worth spending the extra $500 to get the 2100 model over the 1500 for someone just getting into cycling? I'm about to get the 1500. I'm sure though, that if I really start to get into this, I'll be upgrading parts, etc. So, spending the extra might be worth it. However, if I find myself really getting into it, I'll probably just save up for a better frame anyways. Replace that at some point down the line.

    Any suggestions?

  24. #24
    Quack
    Reputation: azmadoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    204
    Buy as much as you can up front. Its much cheaper in the long run. The 2100 has a much nicer headset and stem as well as the carbon seat stays.

    That being said, I own a 1200 and I can say that the matrix wheels are lacking. I upgraded to mavic ksyrium equipe for about $350 and the difference is amazing-5mph top speed on my first ride with them. That and a carbon seatpost are good upgrades to make that a very nice ride. These upgrades will cost about $500 and make a 1500 as good as if not better than a 2100 with cruddy wheels.

  25. #25

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    25
    Yea, I guess my point was, by saving money and getting the 1500. Would it make it a better bike with upgrades from money saved than flat out buying the 2100 without upgrades.

    However, getting the 2100 would leave more room for upgrades later on because of the better frame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cycling after back surgery
    By boyd2 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-05-2018, 08:26 AM
  2. OCLV Tubing
    By B2 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-28-2005, 06:17 AM
  3. Riding in Montreal
    By LSchoux in forum Canada
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 07:12 PM
  4. TT bikes VS Aero Road bikes
    By CARBON110 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 08:31 AM
  5. 14x25 for recreational riding
    By fraDcat in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 09:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.