Giant 09 Defy Advanced
    gh1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Giant 09 Defy Advanced

I know these are just rolling out but was curious if anyone had info on this bike or frame. I am looking for a bike with a taller head tube and was interested in this bike. Going to test ride one in the future but for now there isnt much data out there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I'm looking for info, myself. I had a custom steel frame built a few years ago since I have real long legs and a short torso, but the XL Defy geometry is pretty similar. My LBS has an aluminum XL Defy 3 which I can check for sizing, but I would get either the Defy Advanced frame, or one of the cheaper complete bikes and part out most of it, which might work out really well (I've got a 7800 group w/ CK hubs). I may have a hard time finding an XL Defy Advanced to test ride, but I love the looks of the smaller frames. The geometry looks good for fit (if the seat post is long enough), and it should be stable for descending, as long as the front end is stiff enough.

I'm also considering the Speccy Roubaix, but I haven't found the geometry specs. I need a long HT, short TT.

gh1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Yep, I am the same. I get to test ride a defy advanced on Friday. I test rode the Roubaix the other day. Want me to update you after I ride?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    gh1 that would be great if you could write your ride impression between both Spec Roubaix and Giant Defy.
    I am a newbie in the same boat looking for a roadbike that a little bit upright coming from mtb riding. Those 2 brands are in my shortlist but I will have difficulties to test ride any bike in my location.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by gh1
    Yep, I am the same. I get to test ride a defy advanced on Friday. I test rode the Roubaix the other day. Want me to update you after I ride?
    That'd be great. I'd be especially interested in how it handles in high speed descending. I've had too many large stock frames (and even one custom) with short wheelbases and steep head tube angles that would go into a death-wobble in certain conditions.

gh1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Given the timeframe and that the shop is on the east side. Probably wont descend any faster than 30 but will post back with my impressions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    There's a short one page story in Bicycling magazine. Tubes seem very thin, compact geometry.

March 2009 issue
    Page 84
    Bike Review on the Giant Defy 1
    $1400.00
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooben
    There's a short one page story in Bicycling magazine. Tubes seem very thin, compact geometry.

March 2009 issue
    Page 84
    Bike Review on the Giant Defy 1
    $1400.00
    That would be with the aluminum frame. The Defy Advanced bikes are carbon monocoque, but the geometry is similar.

-David

gh1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I ended up riding the Defy 1 and while it was heavier, it was a nice ride. Didnt have the carbon one in my size. To get a feel for the giant carbon rode a TCR advanced 1 in my size. I thought it was one of the best bikes I had ever ridden. I am going to have to go with a short stem but it felt great so I bought it. The defy advanced is pretty similar I would think cept for the geometry. Definitely get out and ride these two if you can. IMO, nothing better for the price.