Giant Defy or Defy Advanced for Big Guy?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Giant Defy or Defy Advanced for Big Guy?

Looking to get back on a bike after 10 years of couching and stuffing my face.

My needs are; 1) value, 2) comfort for a bum back, 3) triple so I don't get discouraged too easily (my Trek 2300's 39x53? is more than I can comfortably handle).

How does the Defy ride for an inexpensive aluminum bike?

Should I pony up for the Defy Advanced- is it that much more comfortable?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jon

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    How big of a guy are you? Me I am 6'6" 257 (yesterday pounds). I ride a Giant TCR. It is a race geometry bike and I am looking to sell that and get a Specialized Roubaix for a more comfortable ride/geometry. As far as the advanced vs the other versions. The more expensive is all carbon vs a combo aluminum/carbon, correct? Will you notice a difference, maybe but doubtful. The most important thing is correct size frame for what you intend to use it for over the different materials.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

gh1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I thought they both rode well and were excellent bikes. I have a larger friend who also was price conscious and loves his Alum Defy.
    Last edited by gh1; 08-15-2009 at 03:40 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Pretty Big

Quote Originally Posted by jupiterrn
    How big of a guy are you? Me I am 6'6" 257 (yesterday pounds). I ride a Giant TCR. It is a race geometry bike and I am looking to sell that and get a Specialized Roubaix for a more comfortable ride/geometry. As far as the advanced vs the other versions. The more expensive is all carbon vs a combo aluminum/carbon, correct? Will you notice a difference, maybe but doubtful. The most important thing is correct size frame for what you intend to use it for over the different materials.

I'm 6-2 and 240 at present. My optimum weight is around 200, so I have some work to do.

The Defy is all Al, but the Advanced is all C. A local bike shop has some great prices on left over 09s, ex. the Advanced 3 is only $1599, so I am considering spending a bit more for all carbon. However, $ being what it is, I will go with the aluminum if it isn't going to pound me.

Thanks,

Jon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Still undecided

Defy Advanced 3 for $1600 ???
    Defy1 (2010) for $999 ???

WILL THE CARBON ADVANCED FRAME LAST AS LONG AS AN ALUMINUM FRAME?

Thanks guys,

Jon

gh1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Yes, but that will depend on how you treat it.