Giant Fork Question - related to stolen bike
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

Question Giant Fork Question - related to stolen bike

My 2013 Giant Defy Advanced 1 was stolen in Dec 2013. I have recently located forks from the same model on Craigslist about 60 miles from where it disappeared. I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a serial# stamped on the forks that might correspond to the frame?

I have contacted the seller expressing interest and asking if the bike had been crashed but the forks were ok, and how many miles maybe on the forks. He asked me to call agreed to meet me at his workplace if I want to see them, cash only deal.

I did not call or reply and today he sent another email saying the bike was not crashed, but that he got a new frame that did not match the forks... guessing 500 miles on them. It all sounds shady to me, thinking it's from my stolen bike.

Any idea if they have a serial number? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks so much!
    Dave

Darling of The Lounge
    Unlike VINs on automobiles, I don't believe you can match a frame to a specific fork.

Before you send the seller to the electric chair, you ask how much of the fork steerer tube has been cut, then calculate if it's within the ballpark of your size.

Forever a Student
    My Pinarello has a serial number built into the lower steerer tube.

Giant though... doubtful. Maybe. Someone who's a Giant dealer would probably know for sure. Just letting you know that some companies do for sure serialize their forks.
    use a torque wrench

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    My Pinarello has a serial number built into the lower steerer tube.

Giant though... doubtful. Maybe. Someone who's a Giant dealer would probably know for sure. Just letting you know that some companies do for sure serialize their forks.
    My aftermarket Easton fork on my Madone has a serial number as well. Most components have serial numbers that come in handy for quality control, supply chain management, warranty claims and recall purposes etc...

The big question is if Giant mates frames to forks then captures their serial numbers in some type of database than can be accessed by the LBS.

Maybe Platty or CXWrench can chime in with the straight skinny?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the advice on the tube length question... haha @ the electric chair comment. If anything he is only guilty of receiving stolen goods as I know who stole the bike, I just can't 100% prove it.

We are in the midst of litigation over it. It's a 'he said, she said' deal. My ex and I broke in December and my bike was in her garage. She refused to give it to me and went on vacation. When she returned, after numerous attempts to contact her, I went to the door with a police officer to retrieve my belongings. She told him I already got all of my stuff and now it's in court. She either still has the bike or more likely, disposed of it somehow, like by parting it out.

Darling of The Lounge
    It would be a real b!tch if the guy that's selling the fork is your ex's new boyfriend

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Well, that could be but he would be kinda far away... but that might be a good thing, for him! I know she's been riding with a few different guys since this all went down, glad it's not me anymore! Having the bike turn up in some form would be a great boost to my case, especially if it somehow pointed back to her since she swore under oath that I got my stuff back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Good luck with your marital issues.

It sounds like if the fork serial number doesn't match the frame serial number, then you might not have that info, but somebody might. Contact the place you bought the bike, or perhaps Giant and get all your ducks in a row before meeting the seller.

Are you planning to buy your bike back one piece at a time?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Thank Clifford... I am very grateful I did not marry her, that would have topped the list of the biggest mistakes in my life! Not planning to buy it back, I have replaced it with the 2014 model. I would however like to find and trace of it that can be positively identified to use it against her in court so I can be recompensed for the cost of the new bike as well as the other items of mine that she retained. If I could prove the bike was sold to someone or parted out, it would indicate she is lying about everything - in my opinion anyway. I'm out over $5,000 in property and legal fees due to her lies.