Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm going to go against most of the replies here and say (as I have before) that support from a good local bike shop is very important. As much as you may like the Trek bike (and it doesn't sound like it's at the top of your list anyway), if you have to deal with attitude and bad vibes every time you need it serviced, I would rule it out.

So that leaves you with the Giant Propel and the Specialized Venge. Personally, I would lean toward the Giant, but I would say test ride both and buy the one you like the feel of better and the one that fits you better. As I have said many times on these forums, there is nothing more important that a proper fit.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I'm going to go against most of the replies here and say (as I have before) that support from a good local bike shop is very important. As much as you may like the Trek bike (and it doesn't sound like it's at the top of your list anyway), if you have to deal with attitude and bad vibes every time you need it serviced, I would rule it out.
    Well, other than warranty service which is likely not going to be needed, any shop can service the Trek. I would pick the bike I want and take it somewhere else for service before I chose something lesser.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Well, other than warranty service which is likely not going to be needed, any shop can service the Trek. I would pick the bike I want and take it somewhere else for service before I chose something lesser.
    All of these bikes are good. Personally, I would not want to reward an a-hole shop with a large bike purchase. I would rather reward the good shop, but that's just me.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    All of these bikes are good. Personally, I would not want to reward an a-hole shop with a large bike purchase. I would rather reward the good shop, but that's just me.
    I do have many Trek shops in the area, definitely going to give the Madone a try this weekend. Love the look of that bike. You're right, though. The shop that sells Specialized/Giant (and a bunch of higher-end brands) is owned by a guy I've known for years and ride with occasionally. They're also a "destination" shop known for really good service. I can do most things on a bike, but I'd rather pay a pro.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    The shop that sells Specialized/Giant (and a bunch of higher-Priced brands)
    Fixed it for you
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    Great option but I don't trust Cannondale bottom bracket setups. This is based on everyone I've ever ridden with who has a Cannondale with a press fit BB has had problems. In fairness, Treks aren't much better, in my experience.
    Well to be fair, all the bikes you list have press fit bottom brackets which can have the same issues. I have a 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon with BB30. 8,500 miles and no creaks so far - knock on carbon!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Honest question:
    Why would anyone get a Venge over a Madane? (if prices are about the same)

The Madone beats the Venger all areas that are imporant

1. better aero
    2. better integration
    3. better lines
    4. better comfort

In essence, the Madone is faster and more comfortable. Isn't this the holy grail?

OP, go check out the Madone first. I'm not a carbon bike guy, but if there's one carbon bike I'd buy for performance, it'd be the Madone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12