• 03-26-2007
    tmanley
    Giant TCR Advanced (non-ISP) vs. Specialized s-works Roubaix SL: help me choose...
    Both of these frames suit my criteria, but I haven't had an opportunity to ride either of them to the degree to make an educated decision (or even form an opinion). For the TCR I'd need the XL frame and for the Roubaix I'd use the 61cm frame; both of these suit my needs since the TT is longer than 60cm.

I'm currently riding a 61cm 2004 Specialized s-works E5. It's fast, but not too stable while descending and a bit twitchy. I'm only interested in the details regarding the frameset; whatever the decision I make I'll be taking my Record gear off the E5 and building it up on the new frame.

This bike will be used for racing. That said, I want something that will be stiff enough to handle my sprinting (I'm 200lbs and can hold about 1,350 watts for 20 seconds) but be good for all-around types of events (crits, circuit races, road races). One thing to note...I can get the Giant for considerably less due to a club discount; I'd probably have to pay retail for the Specialized.
  • 03-27-2007
    sbindra
    I have a 2005 TCR Advanced and love it. It is plenty stiff and I've read that the new models are even stiffer. That being said, isn't the Specialized you ride the one with the aluminum lower half? I thought that was one of the stiffest bikes available. Will any carbon bike be as stiff as your current Specialized?
  • 03-27-2007
    tmanley
    My version of the E5 is all aluminum. Yes it's stiff, but the geometry isn't to my liking and the ride gets a little harsh at the end of 60-mile road races.
  • 03-30-2007
    jupiterrn
    I have a 2005 Giant TCR XL and love it. It is extremely stiff for my 6'7" 260 pound body. I am not sure the wattage I put out but I have yet to feel any issues with stiffness. I bought the frame off Ebay and built it up and can't say enough good things about it. I have since my wife on a TCR and a good friend. No problems.
  • 03-30-2007
    jakerider
    check frame geometry on that roubaix
    If I am not mistaken, the roubaix will have slacker angles and a more upright riding position than the advanced. I would lean to the TCR if you are racing and the roubaix is more of a comfort/touring ride. Then again I have seen some roubaix's in races as well.
  • 03-31-2007
    teffisk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jupiterrn
    I have a 2005 Giant TCR XL and love it. It is extremely stiff for my 6'7" 260 pound body. I am not sure the wattage I put out but I have yet to feel any issues with stiffness. I bought the frame off Ebay and built it up and can't say enough good things about it. I have since my wife on a TCR and a good friend. No problems.

How can you be 6'7'' and fit on an XL. I'm under 6'4" but had to find a 65cm?
  • 04-01-2007
    jupiterrn
    It's all how your body is built. I am all torso. I have a 34 inch inseam length, identical to my friends who is 6'3". If I had a 65cm frame I don't think I could touch the pedals.
  • 04-01-2007
    linus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jupiterrn
    It's all how your body is built. I am all torso. I have a 34 inch inseam length, identical to my friends who is 6'3". If I had a 65cm frame I don't think I could touch the pedals.

Okay.....I'm 5'11" and my inseam is longer than 34". Are you sure you measure it correctly?:eek:
  • 04-01-2007
    jupiterrn
    Pretty sure. Have been measured several times by wife, tailor, LBS and such. I come from a family of sasquatch. Short legs, long torso, knuckles drag on the ground.....It's a pain in the ass to find jeans that fit.
  • 04-02-2007
    teffisk
    I guess that makes sense, that just seems very extreme.