Giant TCR carbon/alloy or full carbon fork?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015

Giant TCR carbon/alloy or full carbon fork?

Hello,

I am concerned about the long term safety of the Giant TCR Advanced alloy/carbon fork. Anyone have any insight? Is it worth the extra money to buy the Pro model with the full carbon fork (all other components being the same)? Or are the hybrid alloy/carbon forks fine for 7 years of hard riding?

Thanks,
    Ken

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloKilo7 View Post
    Hello,

I am concerned about the long term safety of the Giant TCR Advanced alloy/carbon fork. Anyone have any insight? Is it worth the extra money to buy the Pro model with the full carbon fork (all other components being the same)? Or are the hybrid alloy/carbon forks fine for 7 years of hard riding?
    Can't really predict the durability of any given fork under any given rider in any given riding conditions, but aluminum steerer forks have the worst reputation out there. Whether that reputation is fully deserved or more of a fluke due to a few high-profile incidents (Hincappie in Paris Roubaix) is an open question.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Yeah, but all the high profile failures in the news seem to be for older alloy forks (many not original owner) ridden past their prime (1 was a 20 year old fork!), or due to a previous crash (David Keith Malloy, Richard Stanton) . Hincappie was on 2006 generation fork, that had been in a crash the day before. Previously, trek had 9 years on that same Hincappie fork without a defect incident.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    They wouldn't still be selling them if they were prone to failure. There are likely performance (and possibly weight) benefits of one or the other, but not knowing the specs, or having ridden the bike, I can't quantify them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloKilo7 View Post
    Yeah, but all the high profile failures in the news seem to be for older alloy forks (many not original owner) ridden past their prime (1 was a 20 year old fork!), or due to a previous crash (David Keith Malloy, Richard Stanton) . Hincappie was on 2006 generation fork, that had been in a crash the day before. Previously, trek had 9 years on that same Hincappie fork without a defect incident.
    The challenge with aluminum is the general inability to define "past their prime." Nobody publishes durability data, and you couldn't make much use of it even if they did. It's your call.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nothing to worry about unless it's been crashed. I keep hearing the hype about aluminum/carbon forks. The reason you see more older forks with aluminum steerers failing is because there were more aluminum/carbon forks being sold on bikes. I used to have a Trek 5200 that had an aluminum/carbon fork, at a time when full carbon forks could be had on less expensive bikes. I thought it was absurd for the money I spent on it, but I understood later. Nowadays, it doesn't matter. You're going to get a high quality fork regardless. Carbon technology is way better than even 10-15 years ago as well as carbon/aluminum forks. You really have to look hard nowadays to find a poor quality one. It's not common to find recalls (or even failures) on modern forks in general. That's just how good they are. FWIW, I see a lot of old school Kenesis, Profile, and Look forks that haven't failed.