Gios Compact Pro - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    So what if I'm a dork!
    Nice! I realy like that Super Six. Alot of bike for the money you spent too
    Henry Porter
    ...But the pistol thing is dumb.

We're no better than mice
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoochile
    LOL me too. I raced at the end of July in 2005 and only rode a couple times in 3 years. I gained 40lbs.

It took me a while to get close but never as good in the sprint as I was on my CAAD4.
    Funny
    Last edited by EverydayRide; 08-31-2009 at 06:52 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    ER - I'm surprised to see you running that much spacer on the steerer. Hang over from what you've always been set up with? Or you need to be a little higher nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinea Pedis
    ER - I'm surprised to see you running that much spacer on the steerer. Hang over from what you've always been set up with? Or you need to be a little higher nowadays?
    You're correct. I came from a TREK aluminum / carbon 2100 ZR9000 last season in a 56 cm. This Cannonade is a 58cm. I'd like to drop it completely to the top of the headset. I'm not educated enough on cutting a 100% carbon steering tube by myself. It has been on my mind since buying the bike.

This is my first complete carbon bike [steering tube included],

And I'm slightly closer to 50 of age then 40. I'll see you when you get there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    haha! I'm not the style police mate. I already have 2 crap knees, at the ripe old age of 26

Was just curious to know how long people were able to handle running a decent drop or whether it's because that's how they have always been set up.

I actually had a sore back all weekend and run a pretty big drop on my 56cm CAAD - yet funnily enough in the drops my back felt fine?? Odd...maybe because it was dead level...

Anyway - I'm also looking at cutting the steerer on my 595 that I've essentially done the fitting on myself. Surely there's no more science to it than there was in cutting the ISP?? But I've also been paying attention to how much drop a lot of other bikes run, as I was worried that mine on the CAAD might be a little extreme/wrong. Seems though that it's not half as bad as I first thought it might be though...

cycling as lifestyle
    Gios Compact Pro in Europe is around 600 EUR + VAT. It's really the EUR - USD exchange rate that has bummed up the price in the States.

As to the comparison with CAAD4, I am not sure Compact Pro is that stiff, although it's pretty stiff to me but I ain't no Tom Boonen and at 72 kg I don't think I can flex it that much. My buddy raced on Gios Carbon V107 (alu carbon mix) which he described as pure race bike and stiff as hell which I can believe as Ivan Quaranta won couple of sprint stages at Giro against, among others, Cippolini with that bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinea Pedis
    But I've also been paying attention to how much drop a lot of other bikes run, as I was worried that mine on the CAAD might be a little extreme/wrong. Seems though that it's not half as bad as I first thought it might be though...
    I ride 100% of every ride presently in the drops exactly as you have mentioned [being level]. I ride the tops of the bars only if I'm dismounting the bike or taking a picture [on present bike].

I have a small upper torso and short arms. I'm broad shouldered and almost '1 "85cm [6 feet]. If I'm not low on the bike it feels like a giro. I actually breath much better in the drops. No neck ache. No shoulder pain. No signs of anything.
    Last edited by EverydayRide; 08-30-2009 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nenad
    My buddy raced on Gios Carbon V107 (alu carbon mix) which he described as pure race bike and stiff as hell.
    I've already set one aside this fall when returning home. It's the frame I'll ride next year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    F**k me! Look at the arms on Cippo!

cycling as lifestyle
    Quote Originally Posted by EverydayRide
    I have a small upper torso and short arms. I'm broad shouldered and almost '1 "85cm [6 feet].
    I was waiting for this one. We have the same build and same height (ok, I'm 186cm). I always thought that Gios geometry was well suited for people with slightly longer legs and slightly shorter torso. That's why I like it so much, because it fits me better than any other bike I've owned.

It is because of this that people show up here not at all thrilled at Gios ride and qualities just like I was never thrilled with most of french bikes I tried due to their elongated top tubes (I always felt I was over extending myself to reach the bars).

So there is no right geometry for everyone, you need to sit on a bike and ride it and see if it will work out for you. So the OP really ought to hop on one and see if it "speaks" to him.

So what if I'm a dork!
    I have just over 3 inch's to the center of the stem drop measured with a level on the seat on my Tecno but I also run a fairly long stem. It seems to help me breath better if I'm stretched out.
    EverydayRide it looked like you had quite a bit of drop on that Gios but a short TT or stem compared to mine because it looked like you were over the bars much more than I am. Maybe that frame is a little small since you got when you were a Jr though or maybe "it's just the way you roll". I have used 1cm shorter stems or TT's with a cramped feeling that drove me crazy. Cramped ouch.

Nenad - I also was not suggesting that the Gios rides similar to the CAAD4 but likely steers similar to the CT-1. I bet the Gios sprints and climbs better than the CT-1 though.
    This the CT-1 frame ad on RR if anyones interested in taking a look.
    https://classifieds.roadbikereview.c...=16507&cat=all
    This is a pic built.

This is the Frame ready and clean for sale

This is the Tecno thread I started when I built it but the saddle has been raised at least 2cm by now.
    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sh...light=tomasini
    Henry Porter

Quote Originally Posted by nenad
    I was waiting for this one. We have the same build and same height (ok, I'm 186cm). I always thought that Gios geometry was well suited for people with slightly longer legs and slightly shorter torso.
    I was in the original sequences of 170mm crank arms for road, 165mm for track and anything larger or smaller were for giants or midgets.

It wasn't until the mid to late 80's I discovered fitment.
    Last edited by EverydayRide; 08-31-2009 at 06:51 AM.

This the CT-1 frame ad on RR if anyones interested in taking a look.
    http://classifieds.roadbikereview.co...=16507&cat=all
    This is a pic built.
    What an incredible frame Colnago made there.... though ....set up the way it is ...I'd say it's 2 cm too large for the handle bar position. I'm old skool as to the smallest frame and work around it through stem and such.

-

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Seems like I would be a similar fit to you fellas - so I might keep the Giro in mind for my steel build that will come some day...

And that Tomasini is effing beautiful!!!!

So what if I'm a dork!
    Quote Originally Posted by EverydayRide
    What an incredible frame Colnago made there.... though ....set up the way it is ...I'd say it's 2 cm too large for the handle bar position. I'm old skool as to the smallest frame and work around it through stem and such.

-
    Actually I had raised the saddle 2cm since that pic was taken. I had lowered it at the end of one season looking for more power since I was absolutely fatigued near death (it sucked) I was racing way to much for myself to handle. 3 Training crits on Tuesday group rides Fri, Sat, and Sunday or a race. Plus still doing sprints and interval training. God I was either crazy obsessed or just plain stupid. The Colnago and the Tommasini have very similar geometry. I use a 55cm frame c-t and 55cm tt with a 120 stem so I think it's about the best for me. I don't want to use a 130 stem. I'm pretty sure I would use a 54cm tt on the Gios with the st angle. I figured the set back would decrease at least 8-9mm (I do computer drafting for work so it's easy for me to just draw it up and figure it all out to match my existing position. All my bikes must be near perfectly the same or I freak out.
    Henry Porter

Actually I had raised the saddle 2cm since that pic was taken.
    Lighting and angle of the photo. Looks better when you tip it level viewing. I read your explanation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Compact Pro is a great ride!

Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020
    Noticed most photos have disappeared with the passage-of-time.

Here is my Gios Compact Pro, 58 cm. I am 5'-9" with 34" inseams. Longer legs and shorter torso/arms...so the Gios short top-tube was perfect for me.

My bike is 24 years old, having purchased it new from Excel Sports in 1996 when you could "build up" a bike and pick every component in the process on-line and even talk with them when you had questions. As you built-up your bike on-line, the price would vary as you added or deleted components.

Total cost with shipping for me in 1996 was $ 1650 or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete E. View Post
    Noticed most photos have disappeared with the passage-of-time.

Here is my Gios Compact Pro, 58 cm. I am 5'-9" with 34" inseams. Longer legs and shorter torso/arms...so the Gios short top-tube was perfect for me.

My bike is 24 years old, having purchased it new from Excel Sports in 1996 when you could "build up" a bike and pick every component in the process on-line and even talk with them when you had questions. As you built-up your bike on-line, the price would vary as you added or deleted components.

Total cost with shipping for me in 1996 was $ 1650 or so.
    I'm sure after nearly 11 years people throughout the forum are just dying to see photos of one of these.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020
    I had forgotten why I prefer to ride alone. Thanks for the reminder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12