Got my new toy today- Lynskey Helix
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Got my new toy today- Lynskey Helix

To make a long story short, I've been waiting on a road bike since the beginning of May.

I bought a Giant Defy Advanced, and had issues (got one ride and then waited on two different new frames). I ended up just getting money back on it and ordering a Lynskey Cooper complete bike from the local dealer (Cooper frame, 105 F/R/S, and some FSA to complete it out).

I've been waiting on it for almost 10 weeks.

Earlier in the week, I spoke to the shop and expressed my concern about the time it was taking. Without going into too many details, I ended up with a GREAT deal on a Helix instead of the Cooper.

I got to take it out for a short ride today- only about 6 miles, but it felt great.

I'm gonna go out again tomorrow and try to put it through the paces.

Think I'm going to really enjoy this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No Bonk Zone
    Glad you're happy with the end result after all the waiting.
    That's a beauty for sure.
    Enjoy it in good health.

Hi
    May 2010
    awesome bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Nice bike you got there! I have been waiting on my Lynskey r340 since towards the end of May as I needed a small frame which needed to be built. They had a helix in stock in May they said they would give me a good deal on but it was more still more money so I opted to wait. They told me I would have it by the beginning of July.... tick tock tick tock, its now past the middle of July.....tick tock tick tock. I hope it comes in soon!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I have to say, I was getting impatient, but it was definitely worth the wait.

This bike is great. I'd never ridden a titanium until this one.

I'm 6'2" and weight about 240 right now. This frame is solid. I can't feel any flex on it like I could with a couple of others I tried out prior to this.

It is also still really smooth- maybe not quite as plush as the carbon was, but it's awfully close.

Now I just need to save some more to start tinkering with it.

Defender of Freedom...
    Congrats! Lynskey is a great company and has stellar customer service. I'm in the cue for a Helix myself (not my first Lynskey and definitely not my last), estimated delivery around mid-Aug. The negative aspect of great service, great price, great product is longer wait times. In reality 10 weeks isn't really that long to wait (I've waited up to 6 months from another Ti builder in the past) for a build to order frame, that said I'm glad to hear they took such good care of you!
    It never gets easier. You just go faster. Greg LeMond

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizman View Post
    Nice bike you got there! I have been waiting on my Lynskey r340 since towards the end of May as I needed a small frame which needed to be built. They had a helix in stock in May they said they would give me a good deal on but it was more still more money so I opted to wait. They told me I would have it by the beginning of July.... tick tock tick tock, its now past the middle of July.....tick tock tick tock. I hope it comes in soon!
    Bizman,

I just tried to PM you but my post count is not high enough. I checked my personal open orders and didn't see a small Helix in there...did you order direct from Jack or Don or through one of our dealers/distributors?

Mike V @ Lynskey

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    I got a great deal on a Helix in Dec of '09. It is an XS. It is almost as light and stiff as the Look I crashed out. It is smoother than the Look and stiffer and lighter than my custom steel bike. I like it a lot and is a great compromise among CF, steel and Al. I think the advertise weight of my frame is around 1100 grams.
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffy mike View Post
    Bizman,

I just tried to PM you but my post count is not high enough. I checked my personal open orders and didn't see a small Helix in there...did you order direct from Jack or Don or through one of our dealers/distributors?

Mike V @ Lynskey
    Mike,
    I orderd from the dealer closest to me 100 miles away from me (in PA). You and I have spoke several times about the bike on the phone. I was thinking of calling you again to see if a more decise time that it would be done? I have been busy working with summer festivals lately and you said you all would be closed the week of the 4th of July.

If you read my post again I said I was getting the R340 in a 53 cm (small) not the Helix. I was offered the Helix at a good price from the dealer (ultimatly Lynskey I guess?) but it was still more money than I wanted to spend on a frame which is why I went with my original purchase plan, the R340.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjm_2000 View Post
    Congrats! Lynskey is a great company and has stellar customer service. I'm in the cue for a Helix myself (not my first Lynskey and definitely not my last), estimated delivery around mid-Aug. The negative aspect of great service, great price, great product is longer wait times. In reality 10 weeks isn't really that long to wait (I've waited up to 6 months from another Ti builder in the past) for a build to order frame, that said I'm glad to hear they took such good care of you!
    This is my first Lynskey, but I have a feeling it won't be my last either...

I'm liking this one so much I'm trying to figure out how to convince the wife I need a new mountain frame!

Defender of Freedom...
    Quote Originally Posted by miketn View Post
    This is my first Lynskey, but I have a feeling it won't be my last either...

I'm liking this one so much I'm trying to figure out how to convince the wife I need a new mountain frame!
    I hear ya. Unfortunately they don't offer a full suspension model. I had spoken with them last year when I was in the market; alas I ended up deciding b/w an Erikson and a Litespeed Niota. I really wanted to like the Erikson suspension designs but IMO they are a bit dated, ended up with a variable travel Niota Ti. Love that bike too (that said definitely concerned about getting hosed by ABG if I ever need the warranty).
    It never gets easier. You just go faster. Greg LeMond

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    Gorgeous bike!! congrats. Tell your wife I have had my Lynskey-era mountain bike frame since 1996. It's perfect, and you'll never have an excuse to buy another mountain bike. (parts, yes, lots of parts, but there's no need to discuss that)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizman View Post
    Mike,
    I orderd from the dealer closest to me 100 miles away from me (in PA). You and I have spoke several times about the bike on the phone. I was thinking of calling you again to see if a more decise time that it would be done? I have been busy working with summer festivals lately and you said you all would be closed the week of the 4th of July.

If you read my post again I said I was getting the R340 in a 53 cm (small) not the Helix. I was offered the Helix at a good price from the dealer (ultimatly Lynskey I guess?) but it was still more money than I wanted to spend on a frame which is why I went with my original purchase plan, the R340.
    My apologies! If I am remembering the correct conversation and thinking of the right bike have the shop call their rep here (Jack) for an update and ship date.