RoadBikeReview Member

Graduation Bike: Stuck in the Traffic of Life

For the last 8 months I have been neglecting my training schedule and instead focusing on getting my degree. I have been motivating myself for the last year by telling myself that I would buy a new bike when I graduate. Now I am almost there and I’m starting to think that I would rather just keep the money. I am getting a degree in music composition but what I really want to do for a career is bike. My question is should I get a new bike? Should I spend the money on upgrading my current ride? Or should I just save the dough and be satisfied with some leather bar tape and some new tires? I currently have a 2005 Bianchi Veloce that I bought new last year. This bike feels great but the components are Veloce and the wheels are low end Campy. Also, it is a steel frame. It is true that steel is awesome, and steel has become lighter but can this bike take me to the next level? This leads me to the next part of my question. Perhaps I don’t need a new frame at all maybe I just need better stuff on it. My only real complaint about the bike is that the wheels are not very stiff, Campy Vento wheels, and that the derailleur, Campy Veloce, doesn’t perform to my ever raising standards. I could just upgrade everything to Chorus 10 some stiff race wheels and even get new bars and still have money left for beer. The final option is do absolutely nothing. I plan on biking for money in some sort of capacity whether it is racing bikes, selling bikes, being a messenger or hulling tourists around San Francisco in a modified tricycle, hopefully I wont do the tourist thing. So maybe I should just keep the bike and ride my ass off on it just the way it is until someone gives me something else to ride. Should I get something new and awesome like a high end carbon or Ti racing frame and use that to make my millions? Or, should I stay with what I already have save the money?

Dubz

MCF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    First, congrats on getting your degree. Second, why did you get it if you have no intentions of using it to make money? 3rd, is sounds like you are a ways off from being able to make money by riding so I would upgrade components you want if you like the bike. Buy a groupset as a gift to yourself for graduating. Save the rest, time are tough.

Decrepit Member
    I'd vote for keeping the Bianchi and swapping out components. If you don't like the wheels, get new ones that are stiffer. Unless you're competing at the highest levels, a new racerboy carbon or titanium frame isn't going to make a significant difference.

I'm building up a 1994 Paramount NOS frameset (Reynolds 753) this weekend for a riding buddy, and we're using the Chorus 11 group and Zonda wheels. UPS delivered the gruppo and wheels today. We expect the bike to weigh around 17.5 pounds.

-Stan
    my bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Congratulations on getting your degree. Now go get a loan and buy a Pinarello Prince for about $10,000.

Dr. Flats a lot
    This brings back memories. Bikes are very sentimental things. For me I've never had the that kind of emotional attachment to innanimate objects with anything but my bikes. Graduation really is a huge thing. Picking out the frame, parts, wheels, saddle...was a great way of keeping motivated through the final chapters of school. And getting to experience the fruits of your hard work is a wonderful and soulful thing. When I graduated undergrad it was a new Ti mtb. Med school yielded a Eddy Merkx. Residency was a IF cross bike.
    I vote to get the bike. Pick one that has soul. Not just a flashy bike that will last a couple seasons. But a great bike with soul and presence. Something you'll have for years to come. Spend the money on the frame. The parts you can upgrade in time. I'd vote for some ksyrium wheels. Rival kit. But the frame is the heart of the bike and what you'll keep. Not sure of what you budget is, but if you're planning on working in the industry chances are you can get a bike for a good deal.
    Congrats.

Descender
    Oct 2005
    How much money do you have to spend??

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got 3-5g to spend. I can either spend that on new gruppo and wheels for my Bianchi and get something really nice. Or I could get a really nice new frame with crappy gruppo and wheels. Ive started to think I should go with really nice stuf on the Bianchi and get a cheap cross bike like a salsa, kona, or surly.

Cat 6 rider
    I could say buy a new bike before you do something crazy like repay your student loans

But I second the idea of just upgrading your wheels if they're the only thing you don't like about your current ride. There's nothing wrong with just putting the rest of the money in the bank until you decide what to do.
    To the troll mobile, away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Campy Veloce is a good groupset. Your Bianchi can do anything new carbon and Ti rides can do. What is it about Veloce that isn't up to your standards? My Veloce drivetrain feels just as accurate as my Chorus bike.

My vote is save your money and get a nice set of wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    WOW that bike look great!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by duckylick View Post
    WOW that bike look great!
    How did you manage to find this 9 year old thread?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Google will find anything.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'm more interested what the OP ended up doing to pursue "bike" as a career.