Gunnar Road Frames
    Banned Sock Puppet

Gunnar Road Frames

So I'm contemplating a winter project of building one of these up. I'm thinking about getting a Gunnar Sport frame and fork and building a bike.

Does anybody here have experience with Gunnar?
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Guess I thought they were out of business. Could be wrong though.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    Guess I thought they were out of business. Could be wrong though.
    Nope:

Bikes

They are actually owned by Waterford.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can't go wrong with anything Waterford.
    Too old to ride plastic

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Thanks. I'll hold you to that.
    Last edited by Lombard; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:03 PM.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    ^This^
    #promechaniclife

Banned Sock Puppet
    One thing I see about these Gunnar frames is they require mid or long reach brake calipers. Apparently neither SRAM or Campy makes these types of calipers, only Shimano. I have already decided I will not build this bike with a Shimano drivetrain, it will be either SRAM or Campy.

The question is do the SRAM or Campy shifters have the correct pull ratio or at least close enough to work effectively with the mid and long reach caliper options available by Shimano, TRP, etc.?

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    One thing I see about these Gunnar frames is they require mid or long reach brake calipers. Apparently neither SRAM or Campy makes these types of calipers, only Shimano. I have already decided I will not build this bike with a Shimano drivetrain, it will be either SRAM or Campy.

The question is do the SRAM or Campy shifters have the correct pull ratio or at least close enough to work effectively with the mid and long reach caliper options available by Shimano, TRP, etc.?
    Any thoughts on this?

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Any thoughts on this?
    I don't know how this applies but I'm using Campagnolo levers with MAFAC Raid's, which are long reach center pull brakes, and all is good. I don't know how the pull ratio of the MAFAC's compare to the pull ratio of a more modern brake.
    Too old to ride plastic

Banned Sock Puppet
    I don't know how this applies but I'm using Campagnolo levers with MAFAC Raid's, which are long reach center pull brakes, and all is good. I don't know how the pull ratio of the MAFAC's compare to the pull ratio of a more modern brake.
    Thanks velodog. I don't think I'll be going full retro brake.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you don't need custom, they make very nice stuff. I had one of their CX frames awhile back. Loved it. Unfortunately on one of my rides, my chain came off the rear cassette, wedged into my spokes and pulled the derailleur hanger up almost 90 degrees from where it should be. Bent the seat stay, etc. I had it repaired, but with the thin wall 853 and in hindsight a suspect repair place, I didn't trust the frame. Ended up selling it.

I would buy one of their frames again without hesitation though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ToG might know, he built up an older Trek, runs Campy, and was talking about brake reach.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum View Post
    If you don't need custom, they make very nice stuff.

And if you do need custom. They call it 'made to measure' and it's another $400ish (which still comes to a pretty good price for a quality custom steel bike)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks velodog. I don't think I'll be going full retro brake.
    I pulled my front wheel off and pulled the lever to the bars, marked the cable and released the lever. The cable showed 11mm of travel.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    My experience is a little old (2011). I ordered a Rock Hound (their MTB frame), and wasn't too impressed with the final product. There were paint issues, threads were gloopy and needed to be chased, it had the dreaded Gunnar seatpost slipping issue, and some other small oversights that I'd not expect on a not cheap steel frame.

I took care of the paint and other issues, but the slipping seat post (several posts, many measurements made, shims, etc.) wasn't able to be fixed. The inside of the seat tube was slightly deformed from welding. Gunnar disagreed that it was an issue, but they took it back and gave me a full refund. So, from that perspective, they were great.

Anyway, maybe look into that. I know it's been a long-time problem with some of their frames. That said, they make some cool stuff in neat colors and I've been tempted to buy another. Not all of them have issues, after all.

When it comes to long reach brakes, I had TRP 957s on my old Kona Tonk (which was finished much better than the Gunnar...). They were decent. Plenty of power, anyway.