head tube length?
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: AlexCad5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,555

    head tube length?

    How does head tube length/height effect a bikes performance?

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Nessism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCad5
    How does head tube length/height effect a bikes performance?
    A long head tube makes it easier to get the handlebars up without excessive use of spacers.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    21,134

    Single variable in the matrix

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCad5
    How does head tube length/height effect a bikes performance?
    Per Nessism's comment, it raises the handlebars without using spacers. Otherwise, it is just one variable in many that must be put together to determine the overall performance of the bike. That said, you can have all kinds of geometries and dimensions, and any one of those can have varying head tube length without affecting the performance in any signfiicant way. Except, of course, if the longer head tube forces the rider into a more upright position that can't be corrected with stem choice.

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    Per Nessism's comment, it raises the handlebars without using spacers. Otherwise, it is just one variable in many that must be put together to determine the overall performance of the bike. That said, you can have all kinds of geometries and dimensions, and any one of those can have varying head tube length without affecting the performance in any signfiicant way. Except, of course, if the longer head tube forces the rider into a more upright position that can't be corrected with stem choice.
    i don't know if they are still around but thise track stems w/ a lot of negative rise would make any bike low enough.
    i always heard "buy your road bike slightly big never small.." i see bikes posted here that are clearly too small. a too short wheelbase won't be corrected w/ long or uprise stems.
    www.flaviocolker.com.br
    i am in love w/a black woman.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: AlexCad5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,555
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    i don't know if they are still around but thise track stems w/ a lot of negative rise would make any bike low enough.
    i always heard "buy your road bike slightly big never small.." i see bikes posted here that are clearly too small. a too short wheelbase won't be corrected w/ long or uprise stems.
    Interesting. I have historically ridden bikes that were too big for me. My last steel bike had a top tube that was right at my pelvic bone when I stood over it. I mounted it like a horse, rather than like a bike. My (now former) Cannondale was, I now know, too big (a 56) My Look 231 feels right at 55cm. I bought a Fuji Pro last year for the DA 10 parts, and as a whim bought a 54 to see how that rode. (Very well but stiffer/harsher than I would like, so I sold off the frame.) That brings me to the Motobecane which I bought, partially as a build kit and partially as something I could race without worrying about pretzeling it. Again a 54cm.
    However, this frame is much different than the Fuji, and feels small/short. The headtube is very short, causing me to need a shorter stem than on the Fuji (which had a semi-sloping t-tube.) My concern is that maybe I have too much weight over the front of the bike, and maybe, in some situation, I could more easily go over the handlebars, which indirectly speaks to Colker1's assertion that the wheelbase on a bike that is too small will be too short. (?)
    I've needed to put a 350mm seatpost on the bike to make it fit. In the drops, I can see the fork over the handlebars, though that is not the case on the hoods.

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,890

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCad5
    Interesting. I have historically ridden bikes that were too big for me. My last steel bike had a top tube that was right at my pelvic bone when I stood over it. I mounted it like a horse, rather than like a bike. My (now former) Cannondale was, I now know, too big (a 56) My Look 231 feels right at 55cm. I bought a Fuji Pro last year for the DA 10 parts, and as a whim bought a 54 to see how that rode. (Very well but stiffer/harsher than I would like, so I sold off the frame.) That brings me to the Motobecane which I bought, partially as a build kit and partially as something I could race without worrying about pretzeling it. Again a 54cm.
    However, this frame is much different than the Fuji, and feels small/short. The headtube is very short, causing me to need a shorter stem than on the Fuji (which had a semi-sloping t-tube.) My concern is that maybe I have too much weight over the front of the bike, and maybe, in some situation, I could more easily go over the handlebars, which indirectly speaks to Colker1's assertion that the wheelbase on a bike that is too small will be too short. (?)
    I've needed to put a 350mm seatpost on the bike to make it fit. In the drops, I can see the fork over the handlebars, though that is not the case on the hoods.
    the only bike you can buy small is colnago. the lax head tube makes for a longer fornt center and longer wheelbase. then you buy it using c- t as c-c. you ride a one size smaller w/ a longer stem and get the same wheelbase. plus all the cool points.. no wonder colango si so ppopular. it fits w/ the times and our long seatpost mentality. maybe it's also a great bike
    www.flaviocolker.com.br
    i am in love w/a black woman.

Similar Threads

  1. head tube angle and head tube height affect fit
    By fah35 in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-24-2005, 04:01 PM
  2. Does Head Tube Length have a bearing on fit?
    By eb in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 02:40 PM
  3. Frame height vs. top tube length -- which is more important?
    By wilburpan in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 08:04 AM
  4. Frame stiffness?
    By JAM66 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 10:13 PM
  5. relation between top tube length vs. stem length
    By NoMSG in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 05:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.