Hello everyone :-). What size frame for me please?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

Question Hello everyone :-). What size frame for me please?

Hi. I'm looking into buying a discounted Principia frame, 2004 or 05 model. Something like the revolution or the ellipse. It's my attempt at getting back into road biking after being distracted by far too many other things over the last few years. (College, injuries, other sports like skiing etc) .

I was wondering what size cm would be best for me? (In compact and non-compact). I don't know much about this whole area anymore. I'm 5` 10" .

Thanks for any input

Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Hello,

Your frame size will all depend on the manufacturer. For instance, I'm your height and I generally ride a 56 cm bike. However, I tried out a Merckx and a 47 cm fit me like a glove! Your best bet is to ride the bikes if you can and make a determiniation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Ok. I'm guessing the Merckx that you liked was a compact design?

Both of the frames that i listed are compacts. I probably should of said that earlier.

banned
    Sizing a bike isn't just "oh, yer 5' 6"? get a 54cm frame."

My friend pete is 6'4", I'm 6'2". But when we sit down, I'm taller than he is- he's all leg, I'm built like a freaking gorilla- all arms and torso.

These are the kinds of things that make sizing a bike based on more than just how tall you are.

There's also your fitness level- do you ride a lot now? are you used to being hunched over, racer-style, or do you want a more upright ride?

This is really the long-winded way of saying we can't fit the bike for you. Go to a bike shop. get fitted. Find out what all those numbers mean.

Apr 2008
    On most bikes you're probably a 56cm but as already stated, it really depends on your build and the particular bike. Also, different manufacturers measure differently.